Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 04:24 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
You clearly want to treat this as a political problem, and show pretty much zero knowledge about what it would actually take to build a "micro refinery" or epipen factory...even without regulation.
Considering this is not really a technical form and there are alot of antagonistic people on here I did not think that would be a topic of interest. This is not like my linkedin groups where we discuss details of how to make stuff, how to set it up etc. I have a full process flow diagram and list of links to order all the equipment to make white nitric acid ... but I dont think this is the place?

I would start with a FOIA request to get the reaction mechanism for epinefrin from the DOD since this is a public domain substance and then you could design the pen itself in solid works and 3D print them. How ot afix the needle ot the plastic strucute might take a few days of though. Its litterally that simple

You would need glass ware to conduct the reactions to make teh epinefrin. I would probably use a nice wood table and seal everything in plexi glass and pull down a partial vacuum or flush with medical grade air. Or conduct the reaction where the air is already really clean natually. Alot of money is spent on climate control rather than just moveing operations to someplace where you can get the same results from nature with just a little bit of controls. such as making air separation cryo units in Texas, yea thats going to be costly, or you could do it in north dakota and during certian times of the year you can separate air with a single stage compressor on an open air skid ... Yes you will have to use special low temp seal oils and such but WAY cheaper than a massive infrastructure to chill something in 100F heat.

The same NSF61 parts and pieces could be used for medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 04:53 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Considering this is not really a technical form and there are alot of antagonistic people on here I did not think that would be a topic of interest. This is not like my linkedin groups where we discuss details of how to make stuff, how to set it up etc. I have a full process flow diagram and list of links to order all the equipment to make white nitric acid ... but I dont think this is the place?

I would start with a FOIA request to get the reaction mechanism for epinefrin from the DOD since this is a public domain substance and then you could design the pen itself in solid works and 3D print them. How ot afix the needle ot the plastic strucute might take a few days of though. Its litterally that simple

You would need glass ware to conduct the reactions to make teh epinefrin. I would probably use a nice wood table and seal everything in plexi glass and pull down a partial vacuum or flush with medical grade air. Or conduct the reaction where the air is already really clean natually. Alot of money is spent on climate control rather than just moveing operations to someplace where you can get the same results from nature with just a little bit of controls. such as making air separation cryo units in Texas, yea thats going to be costly, or you could do it in north dakota and during certian times of the year you can separate air with a single stage compressor on an open air skid ... Yes you will have to use special low temp seal oils and such but WAY cheaper than a massive infrastructure to chill something in 100F heat.

The same NSF61 parts and pieces could be used for medicine.
People are antagonistic towards you because:

1. You actually seem to believe your stream of consciousness ramblings are valuable insight. Like the knee slapper above about how easy it would be to make safe, sellable and legal EpiPens, presumably in your garage or spare bathroom.
2. Your grasp of history is distorted by your worldview - from antitrust issues to economic history to economics today.
3. You serially misuse well defined economic terms. To wit, "highly elastic products." It should take you one minute of research to understand why your phrase is imprecise enough to render your thesis point somewhere between ambiguous and meaningless.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:13 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
I am watching all 40 something crash course videos and they dont really explain it. Why would you enter a market that has a large chance of failing becuase the barriers to entry are low and its easy for others to compete against you.
That was funny! You describe the risk in opening a restaurant or bar! Ever see one of those?

Old 12-29-2019, 06:28 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Um, I have a Toto Washlet.
No TP required!

I hope it's dishwashwer safe! Also I would imagine there are times where a bit more cleaning is required so after taco tuesday or on Indian night. Best of luck with that product...

Old 12-29-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
People are antagonistic towards you because:

1. You actually seem to believe your stream of consciousness ramblings are valuable insight. Like the knee slapper above about how easy it would be to make safe, sellable and legal EpiPens, presumably in your garage or spare bathroom.
2. Your grasp of history is distorted by your worldview - from antitrust issues to economic history to economics today.
3. You serially misuse well defined economic terms. To wit, "highly elastic products." It should take you one minute of research to understand why your phrase is imprecise enough to render your thesis point somewhere between ambiguous and meaningless.
It makes sense that you would equate a garage or office to a spare bathroom. In case you were unaware apple started in wazniaks garage. The side winder missile was developed and proto typed in a garage (much to the HUGE embarsement of the multi million dollar navy program).

And I do know what demand elasticity is, it sounds like your the one that does not. Whether or not my micro refinery would be successful or not does not change the elasticity of gasoline. I would likely be able to very slightly discount it and sell everything I made though. Buying crude oil would be a challenge in small quantities to run a micro refinery.

So go ahead and start the 30th dounut shop and see how brutal it is. The book another poster linked about motes is spot on, these elastic product buisnesses with low barriers to entry have NO motes and thus are easy to muscle out of the market when any tom dick or harry can enter at any time and compete.

This is sound ecomomic theory. But if you want to start a dounut shop or restaraunt thinking your going to have the magic meal that everyone wants for the next decade ... go for it.

For me I want a product that people seek me out for because the NEED it.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
It makes sense that you would equate a garage or office to a spare bathroom. In case you were unaware apple started in wazniaks garage. The side winder missile was developed and proto typed in a garage (much to the HUGE embarsement of the multi million dollar navy program).

And I do know what demand elasticity is, it sounds like your the one that does not. Whether or not my micro refinery would be successful or not does not change the elasticity of gasoline. I would likely be able to very slightly discount it and sell everything I made though. Buying crude oil would be a challenge in small quantities to run a micro refinery.

So go ahead and start the 30th dounut shop and see how brutal it is. The book another poster linked about motes is spot on, these elastic product buisnesses with low barriers to entry have NO motes and thus are easy to muscle out of the market when any tom dick or harry can enter at any time and compete.

This is sound ecomomic theory. But if you want to start a dounut shop or restaraunt thinking your going to have the magic meal that everyone wants for the next decade ... go for it.

For me I want a product that people seek me out for because the NEED it.
1. What others did in their garages decades ago has no bearing on the fact that you will not be able to produce sellable EpiPens in your home.

2. I'm in oil and gas. Buying and laying hands on small quantities of crude is going to be difficult to do at all and you'll get terrible pricing.

3. I have no plans to open any new business.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. What others did in their garages decades ago has no bearing on the fact that you will not be able to produce sellable EpiPens in your home.

2. I'm in oil and gas. Buying and laying hands on small quantities of crude is going to be difficult to do at all and you'll get terrible pricing.

3. I have no plans to open any new business.
Epi pens are just an example and who says any of this stuff has to be sold in the USA. You have no idea what you are talking about and are a debie downer.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Epi pens are just an example and who says any of this stuff has to be sold in the USA. You have no idea what you are talking about and are a debie downer.
So now your claim is you can make EpiPens in your spare bathroom and sell them in say Mexico or China? Good luck with that too. You are just lost.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:55 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
It depends on how you do it, how much debt you take on and if you have the passive income to subsidize the business until you can start swinging with full force. That's what I am doing now, you have to have the means to operate without debt or bills that rely on sales (have alternate income streams).

Once you have developed the capability you can post youtube videos showing what you can do and start getting bids against them.

But just starting the 15th pizza place, you think thats the winning idea? Unless your putting drugs in your food and charging $50 for the pizza I just dont get it.
That depends on how good you are at running a Pizza Place. Think of it this way; you can buy a generic white undershirt at WalMart or Nordstrom. Nordstrom makes money selling a Calvin Klein branded undershirt just like Wally World makes money selling their house brand undershirt.

Quote:
Insulin and gasoline are prime examples of inelastic as well as epi pens. why wouldnt people jump into these markets. Start a metal building somewhere and run the company through an over seas shell corporation and sell this stuff online and avoid all the regulations.

You could probably make an epi pen for $20 and sell it for $100 and undercut and since you have no overhead other than maintaining the fake buisness and the small lab at an undisclosed location you would have nothing but money pouring into an off shore account through pay pal.

Actually you would not even need a shell corp you would just need a off shore account to link pay pal account to.
You're going in a couple different directions here.

For Epi-Pens and insulin the costs to startup are extremely high. The regulations involved in making drugs that people inject into their blood mean that it's a lot more difficult than starting a Pizza Shop. And if you think you can sell the product without FDA approval, or FDA inspection of your plant, hahahaha...They'll shutter you in a heartbeat. One day your accounts will be shut down and your website will be locked. Remember what the feds did with a bunch of vaping pens?

You also seem to miss that the more inelastic a demand is, the lower the margins are on the product. Grocery stores, for example, have extremely slim margins. There just isn't a lot of money in a box of Cheerios when you can buy a generic and a Kellog's competitor that's nearly the same and 40 other cereal varieties.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:47 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Why wouldnt everyone just produce things with very low market elasticity.

Wouldnt buisness have much lower probability of failure if people only produced low elasticity items?
Quote:
I am watching all 40 something crash course videos and they dont really explain it. Why would you enter a market that has a large chance of failing becuase the barriers to entry are low and its easy for others to compete against you.
Arent you saying two things on opposite sides of the spectrum?

Low elasticity markets are often the ones with low entry barrier and many competitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics