U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 04:49 PM

524 posts, read 406,174 times

Advertisements

I didn't know about this until after receiving a letter from the IRS a week ago:

Apparently, the 2018 Tax Year Schedule D Instructions contained an error, which the IRS got around to correcting around mid-May 2019 (as in a month after taxes are due), and about three months after I had filed my taxes.

Being blissfully unaware of this (I don't know why I didn't think to redo my taxes monthly after filing them - you know, in case the IRS decided to change the tax forms). The IRS website on this error says that some folks may get a refund, and some may owe more.

Well - in today's mail I received another letter from the IRS; I fall into the latter category. Fine - I'll pay the extra that I owe. BUT there's also an interest charge of just over 3.8%, covering from 15 APRIL through 31 DEC (about 5.36% on an annual basis).

Given that there was no malice on my part (what I filed was accurate per the IRS forms at the time, and actually up until a month after taxes were due), should I really have to pay interest on the extra amount owed ex post facto?

I guess this is just a philosophical question - I just wonder if it's worth my time to call the IRS toll-free line and try to get out of it - as the error was on their part, not mine (i.e. why should I pay a penalty for their mistake).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 04:52 PM

9,896 posts, read 2,885,955 times
sure, call, they are great people to work with.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:06 PM

13,090 posts, read 10,443,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
I didn't know about this until after receiving a letter from the IRS a week ago:

Apparently, the 2018 Tax Year Schedule D Instructions contained an error, which the IRS got around to correcting around mid-May 2019 (as in a month after taxes are due), and about three months after I had filed my taxes.

Being blissfully unaware of this (I don't know why I didn't think to redo my taxes monthly after filing them - you know, in case the IRS decided to change the tax forms). The IRS website on this error says that some folks may get a refund, and some may owe more.

Well - in today's mail I received another letter from the IRS; I fall into the latter category. Fine - I'll pay the extra that I owe. BUT there's also an interest charge of just over 3.8%, covering from 15 APRIL through 31 DEC (about 5.36% on an annual basis).

Given that there was no malice on my part (what I filed was accurate per the IRS forms at the time, and actually up until a month after taxes were due), should I really have to pay interest on the extra amount owed ex post facto?

I guess this is just a philosophical question - I just wonder if it's worth my time to call the IRS toll-free line and try to get out of it - as the error was on their part, not mine (i.e. why should I pay a penalty for their mistake).
Pay the principal and then ask to be let go on the interest. This at least shows good faith on your part.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:09 PM

15,419 posts, read 7,370,946 times
Just pay it. The IRS claimed I owe money, I called and send mail to claim otherwise, i should owe zero money, in the end nothing was resolved and they made off $100 worth of interest. They lost everything we sent and resent. My husband and I could have paid much less. The IRS people are worthless bunch, but for our sake we paid and got on with life. That’s my advice.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:37 PM

1,297 posts, read 609,649 times
Quote:

they aren't assessing a penalty, just interest. You had money you shouldn't have had, so interest is what corrects the situation.

You could ask, but I doubt they'll be very sympathetic.

Old 01-02-2020, 10:18 PM

7,194 posts, read 3,373,944 times
IRS rarely refunds interest. They are much more likely to refund penalties if you can provide reasonable cause why you shouldn't owe the penalty.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:02 AM

3,023 posts, read 1,977,493 times
IRS form instructions aren’t an authoritative source of tax law. If the money was legally owed, they can assess the penalty and interest.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:37 AM

6,805 posts, read 8,449,198 times
It may well be owed plus interest but if a business ran this way it would lose customers to the point of changing their ways. No competition is the biggest issue I see with the fed gov. They make rules for us not them. I find the form error highly distasteful as a principle.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:20 AM

2,060 posts, read 954,840 times
Quote:
I just wonder if it's worth my time to call the IRS toll-free line and try to get out of it

What is the amount of interest/penalty you are talking about?

Old 01-03-2020, 11:25 AM

15,419 posts, read 7,370,946 times
I called the toll free line, I even called the special number that is supposed to help you. Nada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or