Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:57 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Right now the energy costs of desalinization is prohibitive...
Sure, but that wasn't my point. My point was simply that we aren't going to run out of drinking water, in fact the suggestion is a bit silly given the planet is mostly water. At the very very least you could create your own drinking water with technology seen in high school science fairs! People in this country are not going to fight for something that can be so easily created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:57 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreditWitch View Post
It is not food rationing, it is the wholesalers stopping businesses from hoarding and short supplying clubs...thus shorting their stock for the average family shopper. Yall need to get a grip and get educated. Posts like these is what feeds the fear and the mad dash for supplies, creating a shortage, thus driving up prices. OMG PEOPLE!!!!
I agree. That's how panic starts and then it all goes downhill after that.

I watch the news and read articles on the internet. And they make it seem like a dire situation that is spiraling out of control. But when I go to my local grocery store, people are shopping normally like usual, and the shopping malls are still FULL with people buying everything like they normally do.

When I see a change in any of these behaviors, that's when I will get concerned.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Third world countries just might be the canary in the coal mine. I'd keep an eye on what happens to them.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:23 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
When I see a change in any of these behaviors, that's when I will get concerned.
Yeah its sorta hard to get concerned when everything seems so....well normal. Even here in housing bubble central (California) things are pretty normal.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:34 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,261 times
Ill just eat more of those $5 hot and ready pizzas from Little Ceasar's. Those are good.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
World food fears mount as rice prices hit record - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Henry Paulson said there is nothing to worry about.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:58 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I'm not concerned with people starving in 3rd world countries. As a society, America is seen as greedy, wealthy, obese, etc. I see those countries as full of selfish, horrible adults.

I see these ads with photos of starving children, dressed in rags. I remember seeing these commercials when I was 5 and 6.

30 years later, those commercials have been updated. Seems to me that SOMEONE is surviving if they're still able to reproduce. I can't feel sorry for people who claim to be starving and can't feed their children, but then they have more.

Show me an ad requesting $$ for birth control, rather than $$ for food, and THAT will tug at my heartstrings.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I'm not concerned with people starving in 3rd world countries. As a society, America is seen as greedy, wealthy, obese, etc. I see those countries as full of selfish, horrible adults.

I see these ads with photos of starving children, dressed in rags. I remember seeing these commercials when I was 5 and 6.

30 years later, those commercials have been updated. Seems to me that SOMEONE is surviving if they're still able to reproduce. I can't feel sorry for people who claim to be starving and can't feed their children, but then they have more.

Show me an ad requesting $$ for birth control, rather than $$ for food, and THAT will tug at my heartstrings.
30 years ago Haiti was a very productive country and self sufficient.
In comes the US with loans and tied to those loans was a requirement that Haiti open it's doors to US exports. The US exports were subsidized and became cheaper then native Haiti goods so production ceased and the country became dependent on US exports.

US greedy..yes and look what we've done to those countries in the name of globalization.

Mexico and corn is the same story.

Globalization did not make any of these countries better..they just fattened the US Corporate wallets.

USA Creating the Hunger Problem—Our Giant Foot On Their Necks « tobefree

Old 04-25-2008, 10:57 AM

281 posts, read 1,054,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
I thought your post was funny in a real sort of way. Except for the indentured servant part a/k/a slavery, not so funny. But good post nonetheless!

Very good point. It was a sad lesson in history that is already happening. Look at the Mexican croppers in the US. Look at the living conditions, wages, sex slavery...you name it. It already does happen in a fashion. All so they can come and make better wages to live on and send home. That my friend is slavery.

When there is a void people make money. Example....

Banks with bad loan and banking practices + a need for someone to broker all those home sales = greedy well feed real estate agents and bankers

Lets triagulate shall we???

America with possible food issues + same greedy real estate agents with out income = ????? Inventive ways to profit off the backs of the common American again? I already saw evidence of this from a real estate agent on another thread.

The worst thing about this bursted credit/home bubble is the absence of the next bubble.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:32 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,282,892 times
Default What shortage?

I guess we might be getting a surplus of wheat and softening in other prices in the near future. Perhaps food stuff prices going down?

Bloomberg.com: Commodities

Seems like having too many "investors/speculators" accessing commodities is a bad idea... Investors who don't know much about the supply and demand shifts and aren't part of the industry are causing such dramatic turmoil in these markets.

I guess Costco and Cos should thank the doom and gloomers for spurring some rice sales

-chuck22b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics