U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2020, 12:54 PM

3,877 posts, read 1,078,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The trickle down theory
There is no such thing as "trickle down theory." It does not exist. But you already know that.

The phrase was first coined by humorist Will Rodgers in the 1930s as part of a stand-up routine, and was picked up by the extreme progressive wing of the Democratic party shortly thereafter as a talking point to manipulate low-IQ impressionable voters.

It is a pure straw man.

Nowhere will you find a university course titled "Econ 157: Trickle Down Theory." Nowhere at any university will you find a professor with the title "Goldman Sachs Distinguished Service Professor of Trickle Down Economics."

Old 01-20-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
The middle class, which has been the stabilizing force in our society is shrinking.
True - but for the best of all possible reasons: everyone is Movin' On Up.

• The lower class is shrinking, because more and more formerly lower class people have joined the middle class.
  • The middle class is also shrinking, because more and more formerly middle class people have joined the upper class.
  • The upper class is growing, because more and more people are "movin' on up."

That's a good thing, right?

The share of households making less than $35,000 in inflation-adjusted dollars has fallen 1.2 percentage points since 2016 (people are movin' on up!) while those earning between $50,000 and $150,000 and more than $200,000 have both increased by 0.8 percentage points (people are movin' on up!).

Quote:
Our social order is becoming more chaotic and has bred despair, and a desire for chaotic upheaval.
False, of course.

Quote:
Capitalism creates wealth, there is no doubt of that. But unchecked capitalism will create inequities that cause societal instability.
We have a highly regulated economic system, so your fears are moot.

Inequality is good. It provides incentives to people to work. People see economic opportunities everywhere, and respond accordingly. Wealth is created through value add. That wealth is ultimately given away.

That is good. That is wonderful.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 01-20-2020 at 01:47 PM..

Old 01-20-2020, 04:41 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,409,326 times
Quote:
Unchecked capitalism is unchecked greed, in most cases.
I'd love to hear your definition of the word "capitalism".

Let's ask Merriam-Webster:

Quote:
an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market
Where, precisely, is the "greed"? You need to be very clear and very specific.

Is it the fact that anyone can own capital? Or is it investing that's "greedy"? Or a free market? I'm having some trouble here, need you to step in and help me out.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:00 PM

2,945 posts, read 813,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What if human nature is greedy at its core?

What if societies desire to have and consume more is ultimately stronger than our desire to ensure the world lasts 50,000 more years instead of 2,000 more years?

Could me and my family be safer in a 7 mpg 7,000 lb SUV? Why not?

There are billions of people out here that want what Americans have...
You can't insure anything. This world will be completely gone in less than 1,500 years.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:29 PM

24,586 posts, read 15,848,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
There is no such thing as "trickle down theory." It does not exist. But you already know that.

The phrase was first coined by humorist Will Rodgers in the 1930s as part of a stand-up routine, and was picked up by the extreme progressive wing of the Democratic party shortly thereafter as a talking point to manipulate low-IQ impressionable voters.

It is a pure straw man.

Nowhere will you find a university course titled "Econ 157: Trickle Down Theory." Nowhere at any university will you find a professor with the title "Goldman Sachs Distinguished Service Professor of Trickle Down Economics."
Whatever it is, it does not work as advertised.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:12 AM

12,562 posts, read 7,495,050 times
Quote:

It is a pure straw man.

As I made more money, I spent more money...on everything. A lot of people got paid as a result. Is that similar to trickle down?

Old 01-21-2020, 05:55 AM

4,256 posts, read 3,445,902 times
Quote:
As I made more money, I spent more money...on everything. A lot of people got paid as a result. Is that similar to trickle down?
I think that's the spread it around theory.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
"Is that similar to X?"

X does not exist. What is similar to something that does not exist in the first place?

Old 01-21-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Whatever it is, it does not work as advertised.
There is no "It." It does not exist.

Except in the fiction aisle at Barnes & Noble.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:28 AM

12,562 posts, read 7,495,050 times
Quote:
"Is that similar to X?"

X does not exist. What is similar to something that does not exist in the first place?
Sounds deep, but I have no idea of how it relates to what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or