Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 12:20 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrab View Post
Here in north Alabama we have low taxes, great weather and lots to do. It's a couple hours drive to Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta, and a couple more to the beach. We have a small plane to make the beach trip in a couple hours. When landing at Gulf Shores, Lu Lu's will pick you up and bring you in the back door to avoid the lines. I retired on much less than $3.5M.
How gay friendly is N Alabama? The retiree is a gay man who wants a social life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 07:12 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
How gay friendly is N Alabama? The retiree is a gay man who wants a social life.
Basically in today's day and time in Alabama, no one cares.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:02 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Basically in today's day and time in Alabama, no one cares.
This guy in Alabama would beg to differ and wants them all dead.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48521788

I live Alabama-adjacent and have spent 20 years trying to find redeeming qualities to the state because it's near enough that it would make for nice weekend day trips. And have come to the conclusion that, well those redeeming qualities really aren't there. Even didn't renew my Mobile Museum of Art membership last year because I decided I just didn't want to give anyone in the state any more money because the level of hate against anyone who isn't a straight white Southern Baptist dude.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:09 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
I’ve spent time in San Jose. It’s not a pretty place and it feels 3rd world to me. Also lots of crime.
I've only visited a few times for work and once for vacation. I didn't get that impression, but then again each time I was there for a week or less.

Note that your observation that "It’s not a pretty place and it feels 3rd world to me. Also lots of crime" can apply to every city in the world.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 01-21-2020 at 08:19 AM..

Old 01-21-2020, 08:24 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I've only visited a few times for work and once for vacation. I didn't get that impression, but then again each time I was there for a week or less.

Note that your observation that "It’s not a pretty place and it feels 3rd world to me. Also lots of crime" can apply to every city in the world.
What? Most of the cities recommended do not feel 3rd world at all. I’ve been to every single one mentioned. Ventura, Paso Robles, Sonoma, Alexandria, Santa Fe, Lisbon Scottsdale, Tampa, st Pete’s, London, ....

Old 01-21-2020, 08:42 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Southern Spain. Beautiful coast, climate like CA, great food and wine, theaters, museums, historical sites, plenty of outdoor and water sports. Airports close by for convenience, great transportation. Low cost of living.
IDK, I'm there right now in the middle of a hurricane. Destroyed all the beaches. No central heat and deserted in winter. Not even a local store open. Other than that, we are loving it. Great cheap food.

But sheesh, with over 3 million why not San Diego or Santa Barbara, says this CA native? My nieces and nephews are there with ordinary jobs. No air con or heat needed.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:07 PM

143 posts, read 154,928 times
Quote:
The two guys caddy corner to us moved here from California. They attend our HOA meetings and throw a great Halloween party. I'm married so I don't know how friendly you would want to get but I'm fine with them just being neighbors.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:19 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Indeed, precisely this accusation gets regularly levied against SF and NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
But sheesh, with over 3 million why not San Diego or Santa Barbara, says this CA native? My nieces and nephews are there with ordinary jobs. No air con or heat needed.
If the objective is to responsibly enjoy life, conserving one's capital only to the extent that one wishes to avoid exhausting it, and to retain reserves for emergencies, then indeed, there's no problem with $3.5M in any of a number of beautiful and costly places. But if the objective is to maximize return on capital, while spending only what's necessary for minimum comfort and personal vitality, then the nicer/costlier places get excluded.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:44 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
I 2nd the Carolinas. Charleston, Raleigh, ChapeL Hill, Cary, Hilton Head, Charlotte, Asheville, Wilmington etc. You can't go wrong.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:44 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Doesn't exist. Dude is gonna be disappointed. You can have cosmopolitan, and you can have cheap, but you can't have both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics