Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2020, 10:19 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,698,258 times

Advertisements

Lucky’s Closing 32 Stores, Laying Off Associates

Read it Here: https://tinyurl.com/vhn9uxw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 05:00 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Lucky’s Closing 32 Stores, Laying Off Associates

Read it Here: [url]https://tinyurl.com/vhn9uxw[/url]
That's really too bad. I live in Colorado, and it's one of my favorite places to shop in Fort Collins. Hopefully, that one will stay open.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:21 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
I never understood their geographic expansion strategy.
Also, not a “fan”. I find that Sprouts, King Soopers, and Safeway satisfy my grocery needs.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:50 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
All the traditional grocery chains want to expand into Florida because they see strong population growth and Publix getting twice the margins that the industry as a whole gets. But Publix fights hard on its home turf and Albertsons and the like have spent countless millions trying to compete head to head only to discover they couldn't and they end up leaving the state. The newcomers who make it work have either been budget chains (Walmart, Aldi) or premium players like Whole Foods.

So for Kroger to try to expand into Florida, it rather made sense to partner with Lucky's on the premium side where they weren't directly competing with Publix at first and then go general grocery once they established their first brand. Except that they apparently didn't get the numbers they wanted from Lucky's in Florida and decided not to go through with the big expansion attempt that probably would have worked as well as Albertson's attempts did.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:38 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,698,258 times
beachmouse, I am with you. But Publix for me is the clean restrooms, and maybe a couple of items per month and that's it.

ALDI gets 90 to 95% of the money allocated for groceries, and we are happy campers shopping there.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:02 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Mine will be closing. Too bad. Whenever I'm in there it's pretty busy. But I have to admit going mostly for the meat/seafood sales. The veggies and fruits look good but seem to spoil very rapidly.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:44 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
I stopped in Sarasota FL Lucky's to check it out. Unexciting except carts had a place for your wine sip (I think).
Trader Joe's already has that market. I'ma Publix fan but wish they'd offer more take-home meals and hot pizza.
When Publix upped their organic meat offerings I quit shopping other places.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I stopped in Sarasota FL Lucky's to check it out. Unexciting except carts had a place for your wine sip (I think).
Trader Joe's already has that market. I'ma Publix fan but wish they'd offer more take-home meals and hot pizza.
When Publix upped their organic meat offerings I quit shopping other places.
We have a Publix around the corner but only buy Spring Water and maybe ice cream there.

Trader Joes and Veggie stands (Yoders, etc.) pretty much satisfy our needs. I never even knew Luckys was here or what it was despite being here for quite a few years. I think they lacked decent marketing...if I never ran into them!

Common sense would say that the need for almost unlimited markets is a bubble. Each of us can only consume X calories so the idea that we need 10's of thousands of SKU's and every sort of discount food seem overkill.

Costco itself...wow, that place is a nightmare of people filling up their carts with BIG packages of food.

I often wonder where the market is....that is, I've lived in very populated places much of my life and yet there was no need to so many vast complexes.

I suspect it's like everything else. The only "market" is trying to steal market share from others. It's like the Big Box craze which ends up leaving behind millions of unoccupied square feet. No one (or few) has a grand plan so it's build, build, build and if a place goes out of business....well, the shareholders and taxpayers will pay for any losses to the tax base and corporation.

Down here I suspect Amazon will end up with a lot of the food market - through Whole Foods and then through home delivery. It's already obvious that most people stay within 10 minutes of their homes - that's why there are duplicates of most stores within 15 minutes.

So excuse me now while I go order some hinges off Amazon instead of driving to Lowes and finding out they have a limited selection!

:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics