Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 07:53 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I've seen a lot since starting this business. Rich people who tried to negotiate on a price of an item in the store right after showing off their new truck (that they just paid cash for). People who lie for no good reason when the truth would serve them better. Someone who bragged about getting a Discovery Channel contract for a show before trying to negotiate on an item low enough in price that I wondered "why would they even bother?" A well paid county lawyer who tried to negotiate lower prices a couple of times. I usually end up pointing to a sign right below the counter that says we don't negotiate on prices. If we could do better on the price we would have done it the first time. In so many words of course
I ran into an extreme version of this on a tour of India and Nepal. Small group, really good people except one obnoxious guy. He and his wife were "retired educators". She was a sweetheart but he would wring every last rupee out of a deal with someone who probably made less in a day than he spent on lunch. I'm a terrible negotiator anyway, but told him that I didn't want to negotiate prices down to a rock-bottom level given the great disparity between what I have and what the locals have. "Well", he snapped "that's your prerogative".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 09:37 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We keep track of how much money we make or don't make on customers. Those on the cost us too much list we try and steer towards our competition. After a while no ones wants these customers as it costs everyone money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Yep customers need to be fired as well when they don’t produce
Ever notice that the squeakiest wheels are often the furthest in arrears? There are some that attempt to turn a profit by chiseling and avoiding every expense possible. Others try and turn a profit by doing/making/selling something better/faster/smarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
At the age of 82, she probably has problems dealing with increased prices. heck, I'm nowhere near 82 and I already find myself thinking things should cost the same as they did 20 years ago. Which they don't and I can still understand that, but darn, things seem so expensive. At age 82, it must be even harder to deal with.

Adding this: it certainly doesn't help that nothing lasts as long as it should. Even expensive items fail much sooner than they should. If you get old enough, you remember when things were built to last, so it is a double whammy that they cost so much and break down so soon.
Fair, but its a 25 year old unit. That's a long enough time by any standards. She probably doesn't realize that in fact it has been two and a half decades. That happens. Hence the comment, "It was installed when I was in High school and I now have a high schooler of my own." Its especially true with something that is exposed to corrosive elements like the water.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:55 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have a customer with a really old piece of equipment. The last 5 visits the technicians have recommended replacement. She refuses to do that. I have done a few free visits but we have reached the point that I have to bill her a service call for all calls we run now. It’s hard to help someone that won’t take the steps to help themselves.

The lady called to comply that we charged her. I explained that we can’t keep coming out for free. I have to cover labor, truck, materials etc. She thought I was being unreasonable. I gave her rock bottom price to refurbish existing, replace or remove it. She wants to do nothing that costs money.,She threatens to give bad reviews. Fine, without working for free, I can’t help her.

Well then the daughter called back. I explained it all to her. Daughter argues that it’s our equipment and I explained her parents bought the equipment 25 years ago. We just installed it but they definitely own it. Throughout the entire conversation she just kept repeating that her mother is 82 years old... finally I said I am not sure what her age has to do with this 25 year old piece of no longer functional. She is a ****ty tone said, “mam, she has a limited income”.

I have a limited income as well. Don’t we all have a limited x amount of money to work with? I know no one that has a endless supply of money growing on a tree they can pluck off whenever.

What is this mentality that just because you made it to 82, that nothing should cost money?
why are you even dealing with them? they bought something 25 years ago
That isn't your problem. If they don't want to pay- fine. But there is no reason to talk to a non paying customer.

Last edited by djohnslaw; 02-04-2020 at 04:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics