Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 09:02 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Daughter mentions age because she wants you to feel sorry for an old lady and give her (old lady) a break.

I think daughter mentions age because she herself doesn't want to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 02:16 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have a customer with a really old piece of equipment. The last 5 visits the technicians have recommended replacement. She refuses to do that. I have done a few free visits but we have reached the point that I have to bill her a service call for all calls we run now. It’s hard to help someone that won’t take the steps to help themselves.

The lady called to comply that we charged her. I explained that we can’t keep coming out for free. I have to cover labor, truck, materials etc. She thought I was being unreasonable. I gave her rock bottom price to refurbish existing, replace or remove it. She wants to do nothing that costs money.,She threatens to give bad reviews. Fine, without working for free, I can’t help her.

Well then the daughter called back. I explained it all to her. Daughter argues that it’s our equipment and I explained her parents bought the equipment 25 years ago. We just installed it but they definitely own it. Throughout the entire conversation she just kept repeating that her mother is 82 years old... finally I said I am not sure what her age has to do with this 25 year old piece of no longer functional. She is a ****ty tone said, “mam, she has a limited income”.

I have a limited income as well. Don’t we all have a limited x amount of money to work with? I know no one that has a endless supply of money growing on a tree they can pluck off whenever.

What is this mentality that just because you made it to 82, that nothing should cost money?
It seems pretty simple to me. You fire the customer. Business transactions are voluntary on both sides.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:52 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Reminds me of when I had a business for 16 years, and several times people from different local churches would come in and ask for a discount, because they were "non-profit." My response was that I was not non-profit, I was trying to raise a family on the profits from my sales.

As for the aged, I have noticed that those elderly complaining the most about high prices are those that have the most money. Many of them that truly struggle never complain, they just pay what they have to.
lol I had that call this week also. Church called because they had a leak. Send a guy out and he determined it was a sink faucet leaking. They decline replacing it because one of their members can do it. Fine... bill then the $155 service call and they call and complain that’s a lot of money. He was there an hour, plus drive time... it’s like they think everyone makes $8 per hour

Old 01-25-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
this is an HVAC system?
No. Water softener on well water. Installed when I was still in high school and I am now in my 40’s with a teenager in high school.... to put some prospective on it.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
It seems pretty simple to me. You fire the customer. Business transactions are voluntary on both sides.
I don’t disagree. I am forever telling the owner that they are mooches not customers. He never wants to lose business. It’s just not realistic

Old 01-25-2020, 07:17 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
In many cities low income people get reduced transit fares, discounted internet service, etc. Combine that with the already numerous discounts for seniors and there is the expectation that someone who is both low income and elderly get a deal. The difference being that discounted bus fares are subsidized by the taxpayer whereas the situation of the OP would come directly out of his pocket. Big difference. My advice is to declare, "this is the price anyone else would pay for this service, take it or leave it."

Old 01-25-2020, 07:21 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
I don’t disagree. I am forever telling the owner that they are mooches not customers. He never wants to lose business. It’s just not realistic
It is his business not your's.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:20 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,119 times
This has nothing to do with age, as the woman's daughter proves, and everything to do with an attitude of "me first and scroo yew." People like this are rarely poor, despite their protestations of "fixed income" or whatever other excuse they come up with, because they always make sure someone else pays.

OP, you might want to keep an eye out on the review sites and post a rebuttal if these people give you a bad review. If I read a bad review like that and then found out that the equipment was 25 years old and you had been doing free visits but finally had to stop, I would pick you to do my well work. And I would tell my friends about you too, because you stand behind your work like nobody else! That bad review could turn into free advertising for you.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:30 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Quote:
I have a customer with a really old piece of equipment.
Doctors can prescribe a little blue pill to help with really old equipment.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:50 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Doctors can prescribe a little blue pill to help with really old equipment.

At my age, when I talk about my little blue pill, I mean my Aleve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics