Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2020, 02:52 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
An appropriate song for the world is ending crowd in this thread.......

[

Nice straw man.

You should probably take it to the hobbies and entertainment section since no one is talking about the end of the world. What we are talking about is the economic impact of the covid 19. The flu , the witless comparison of 2020 , has not disrupted supply chains. The optimistic mortality rate is 1%. The mortality rate of the flu is a tenth of that. The infection rate is also about 10x a bad flu. So uncontrolled, it will be about the same as 100 flu season in one year. So instead of 16k it will be 1.6 million, assuming there are not cascading resource problems doubling or tripling that number.

Not the end of the world. West Nile did not end all crows either. Its just wiped out 45%. Now I know you know that could never ever happen to people. However I don't know why you would know anything.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/a-mu...ow-facts/5965/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 05:01 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
An appropriate song for the world is ending crowd in this thread.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMzyleT2FqY
No one has said the world is ending. What some of us have said is that this may turn out to be 1918 all over again. That's quite bad enough, even if it isn't a world-ending catastrophe.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:10 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
China has an advantage in that it can do things like completely shut down a province and build massive hospitals in two weeks.

Imagine the strain on the U.S. health system if it starts spreading here? We can't nearly do what China's been doing.

That's actually a ridiculous statement. Had the coronovirus erupted first in the United States it would not have become a global health emergency.

The coronavirus spread so quickly in China because of bureaucratic inaction, the suppression of information, the misreporting of information, the outright punishment of those who tried to raise early alarms, poor sanitation, crowded and inadequate housing, and a healthcare system that remains primitive.

Even now, two months into the emergency, Chinese hospitals are still not testing new patients for the virus. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-say-relatives

And that nice, showy building of a hospital turns out to have been a Potemkin Village of sorts, chiefly due to the fact that the new 'hospital' didn't have the actual medical equipment and supplies to fight the disease in the first place.

The fact that you are lauding China's response to this is absolutely laughable.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
That's actually a ridiculous statement. Had the coronovirus erupted first in the United States it would not have become a global health emergency.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Absent a good vaccine, it's extremely difficult to stop the spread of infectious diseases which can be transmitted by asymptomatic carriers. Until now the world has been lucky that the novel viruses which have occasionally have entered the human population have either been hard to spread person-to-person (H5N1 avian influenza, Ebola, most of the hemorrhagic viral fevers) or are only spread by an infected person once he/she becomes symptomatic (SARS, MERS, Ebola). Now our lucky streak has ended.

Mind you, China's actions in the first few weeks of this outbreak certainly didn't help! Once the virus got out of the city of Wuhan I think there was no real hope of permanently containing it.

Last edited by Aredhel; 02-25-2020 at 07:08 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 07:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
On a hopeful note, maybe this virus will slow the flood of cheap, crappy clothes into our stores.
A lot of those are now made in Vietnam and Bangladesh now because Chinese labor costs have gotten too high.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Well, I just heard from my son. He lives in Guam, and his wife is Korean. She works in IT for a car rental company - which caters to tourists, since Guam in and of itself is tiny. A huge portion of their business is from Korea.

She just got laid off for at least a week, perhaps indefinitely, because of the travel bans to and from Korea and the complete lack of Korean tourists. So that's one economic impact right there.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:56 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,904 times
I just keep on thinking the push for automation in factories to almost 100% is going to go full-throttle after this Corona fiasco. AI doesn't get sick.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I just heard from my son. He lives in Guam, and his wife is Korean. She works in IT for a car rental company - which caters to tourists, since Guam in and of itself is tiny. A huge portion of their business is from Korea.

She just got laid off for at least a week, perhaps indefinitely, because of the travel bans to and from Korea and the complete lack of Korean tourists. So that's one economic impact right there.
Sorry to hear your DIL has been laid off. The businesses directly involved in the tourist trade are going to be hit first, but eventually we'll see a ripple effect as places like restaurants, movie theaters, sports arenas, and malls close once people begin avoiding crowds and staying home as much as possible. As a society, we need to start planning for this so we can minimize the economic hardships these closures will cause.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Sorry to hear your DIL has been laid off. The businesses directly involved in the tourist trade are going to be hit first, but eventually we'll see a ripple effect as places like restaurants, movie theaters, sports arenas, and malls close once people begin avoiding crowds and staying home as much as possible. As a society, we need to start planning for this so we can minimize the economic hardships these closures will cause.
Thanks and yes, I agree.

I am glad that Guam has no cases of coronavirus. I hope it stays that way. Guam is a tiny island and I can only imagine the impact it would have.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:05 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Here's actual information.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics