U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 07:38 AM

3,655 posts, read 3,038,076 times

Advertisements

British Airways suspends direct flights to mainland China amid virus fears

Quote:
British Airways has suspended all direct flights to and from mainland China, one of the biggest names in aviation to do so, as worries grow about the impact of a spreading coronavirus on global travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 07:38 AM

6,852 posts, read 3,323,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Not true. Apparently, Spanish flu was killing the young, healthy people because they rapidly died of an overwhelming immune response.
Not true what? That in time of Spanish flu at tail end of WW1 there was a lot more malnourishment, poor hygiene, and lack of what we consider basic medical treatments and infection avoidance practices? It takes a suspension of reality to believe that wasn't a major contributor to the gravity of Spanish flu that would be quite different in 2020.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/276060.php#1
Michael Worobey, a professor in UA College of Science's Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, and colleagues describe their findings in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. They hope the study not only offers some new clues about the deadliness of the 1918 pandemic, but will also help improve strategies for vaccination and pandemic prevention, as Prof. Worobey explains: "If our model is correct, then current medical interventions, especially antibiotics and vaccines, against several pneumonia-causing bacteria, could be expected to dramatically reduce mortality, if we were faced today with a similar set of pandemic ingredients."

Old 01-29-2020, 05:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 1,916,078 times
From a video intercept taken from the AP's CCTV system.

"Harold, are you kidding me? Where did this virus thing come from?"

"Yeah, sorry about that, it's just I was eating this new Popeyes chicken sandwich and it's SOOOO good, I was eating at the desk and couldn't put it down and I accidentally hit the wrong key. I didn't think anyone would pick it up, but.....I mean, it was a slow news day. How's it my fault that the AI funds started trading it right away?"

"So what are we going to do now?"

"Dude, don't worry. There's a Kobe tragedy just came in."

"Great, run it."

"What about the Federal Reserve selling $30B of its balance sheet last week, it looks like they're done expanding in the overnight markets"

"Harold, if it bleeds, it leads. Nobody cares about anything else."

Old 01-29-2020, 09:26 PM

6,176 posts, read 3,321,909 times
Invest in companies that produce those face masks... especially if they have exposure to asian markets.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:01 AM

4,011 posts, read 1,125,757 times
I'm waiting for the reports about some of the dead not being actually dead. They're up and walking around apparently quite hungry.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:16 AM

27,596 posts, read 34,436,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I'm waiting for the reports about some of the dead not being actually dead. They're up and walking around apparently quite hungry.
Lol!!

Old 01-30-2020, 12:22 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,727,232 times
Is everyone blowing this out of proportion or do selective people at high position know more than we (average) folks know.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:58 PM

4,222 posts, read 1,916,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Is everyone blowing this out of proportion or do selective people at high position know more than we (average) folks know.

I doubt it. I would imagine the carriage on those flights is dropping like the mercury in winter. What's the point in potentially exposing your $100B plane to a virus that may or may not go away or live forever in it for a half empty flight?

Besides, rumors are killers in China, especially on things like diseases. Nobody trusts the government to report things like epidemics accurately, so a rumored killer disease will have people instinctively go ultra conservative to wait out the storm. Which of course reinforces the government to be cautious about what it releases, further cementing a distrust of government and the importance of rumor.

It sounds like this virus isn't as bad as the previous outbreaks, but until the population is satisfied with those results you've got a whole lot of shelter in place type activity happening in China at a time of the greatest annual migration.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:26 AM

9,309 posts, read 13,911,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Then you should invest in companies that make bats wrapped in barbed wire.

Otherwise it will add volatility for a while then go away. I believe I read that researchers are confident they can have a vaccine ready within 6 months to 1 year. We've been through SARS, Ebola, Avian flu, swine flu/H1N1, Zika...

Old 01-31-2020, 02:14 PM

27,596 posts, read 34,436,901 times
The song “Free falling” comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or