Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 07:00 AM

21,906 posts, read 9,480,467 times

Advertisements

Let's discuss.

Potential areas of impact:

Example: I think the travel industry worldwide will take a hit. We were supposed to go to Hawaii in March and I am not booking it now. Apparently, many Chinese travel back to China for the Chinese New Year and that's not happening.

Stock market: Obviously, futures are down today. I think the market will go down until this thing is contained. Buying opportunity?

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 07:03 AM

106,558 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Let's discuss.

Example: I think the travel industry worldwide will take a hit. We were supposed to go to Hawaii in March and I am not booking it now. Apparently, many Chinese travel back to China for the Chinese New Year and that's not happening.

Stock market: Obviously, futures are down today. I think the market will go down until this thing is contained. Buying opportunity?

What are your thoughts?
history says we will eventually recover . but we don't know when or from what level .

this is one reason i like all weather portfolio's ..there tends to always be a bull market in something .

the more stocks fall from this , it looks like the better gold and long term treasuries are doing

Old 01-27-2020, 07:31 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Lower interest rates would be my guess. Aside from refinancing a couple of existing mortgages, we're considering purchasing another investment property this year, so we're keeping a close eye on the 10-year treasury.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:01 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
I mentioned this on another thread in the investing forum. IMO this is clearly another case of the typical idiocy of major investment managers and their herd like behavior. It seems to be a very generalized drop with no consideration of which companies might loss or profit IF the coronavirus turns out to be a serious killer and major concern. 50 or 100 or even a few 100 deaths just does not quality as a major concern likely to disrupt financial markets and the economies of the world.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:11 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Let's discuss.

What are your thoughts?

It could drive the market down very significantly. Yes, could be a buying opportunity but how can you predict the total ramifications of a deadly virus out of control?

Old 01-27-2020, 08:14 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,564,514 times
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
I just posted this post in the investing subforum pertaining to your questions above.

As I said back at the end of 2019 on the investing subforum, I expected a 5-8% pullback in early 2020 before the quick melt-up to new highs (I said the melt-up would take the DOW to the 30-32K range), and before the ultimate deflationary bust later this year (equities lose 50%+ between July 2020 - and early 2021 with a deflationary recession starting by July 2020). The media loves to fear-monger and I think this virus is overblown. Of course this pullback will be blamed on the virus, but this pullback was in the cards already. It would have been blamed on anything that was convenient at the time - virus, climate change, Trump's bad Big Mac that he ate in bed, or Great Warrior Warren's carbon neutral tipi.

These "fears" will give the Fed and other world central banks an excuse for more short-term easing. Keep in mind the Fed is already injecting $50+ billion daily in the repo markets along with $60 billion in monthly treasury purchases in "the greatest economy ever." They are already expanding their balance sheet at a record pace over the past 3-months. Expect more record balance sheet expansion along with an official announcement of a "QE 4" type program (they will call it something else). The virus will serve as the perfect excuse for more record easing, rate cuts, and balance sheet expansion. This will lead to a quick melt-up in equities after this 5-8% pullback. Big deflationary bust comes later this year.

Central banks are the only game in town right now. All they know is more debt and balance sheet expansion. It will end very, very badly.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:21 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
I just came back from Hawaii. Only a few people was wearing mask. Came through LAX.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:34 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,564,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I just came back from Hawaii. Only a few people was wearing mask. Came through LAX.
Typical media fear cycles. Every few years there is a deadly virus they fixate on for about a month or two to fill the news loop. Usually during the winter months because the fear of illness is higher. Climate change fear-mongering was getting a little stale so now this. Although the media will likely blame this virus on "climate change." Then on to the 24/7 election rabid obsession coverage........

Old 01-27-2020, 09:41 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
this is just the start for this, but I do suggest that while Chinese eat everything with four legs, except table. I'll be swearing off my wifes (to die for) MARMOT STEW.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:15 AM

3,523 posts, read 3,728,300 times
Fake outbreak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics