Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 12:10 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't know why people complain about their taxes but never complain about that briefcase of over $500 million Obama handed to Iran back then which they probably partied and spent it on women and luxury cars while the people got nothing and continued to protest today. And Democrats thought it was the right thing to do by creating a Nuclear treaty that was never adhere by the Iranian govt. This is the kind of wasteful bad decisions.

Trump has gotten more done for the economy and the media wouldn't give him any credit. The tariffs against China was long overdue, Secretary Clinton and Obama failed to hold China accountable for years of market and currency abuse. Which caused the destruction of many American industries and the media is blaming Trump for a few farmers can't sell crops.
The money was Iran's, not our's. The money was held due to sanctions.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:21 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,458,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
That's strange. I've lived and worked in states that are now considered as Red states all of my life and I don't recall anyone at work asking if I believe in God, or asking if I go to church, and I never got fired or got treated like dirt by my co-workers or my neighbors. Most of the people just didn't give a crap what I did or what I believed in and I felt the same way about them. Don't know where you got the idea that "live and let live" attitude is exclusive to Blue states, but it's certainly not correct.

Perhaps you were making comments that they considered as leftist/liberal in nature and they let you know that they didn't share those views, but I don't consider that as being "treated like dirt". Maybe it was something else about your attitude that they didn't like.
Nice! Sound like you were in a more progressive area.

The person I talked with kept to himself that he's a liberal. It accidently came out that he doesn't go to church, nor believes in god. That's when the attitude changes happened

Old 02-11-2020, 03:56 PM

10,029 posts, read 7,188,252 times
Being from Texas, I can attest to how important being a churchgoer is. In the smaller & medium towns at least. Church was how you networked.

My family was part of the landowning class in the county, and the membership of our church included most of the big farmer/ranchers, major business owners e.g.: the family that owned the major car dealerships of the town, the most prominent lawyers, a couple former mayors, school board members etc., etc... If you wanted to "be somebody," you had to be involved in one of the congregations that had a network like that and get the approval of the right people.

For example, my mom was a teacher, and because she and my dad knew people at church who were on the school board, she got the best assignments, honors classes etc... I mean, she was qualified, but the network gave her an extra push.

Someone who came out of the closet as an atheist, or otherwise "weird," e.g: gay, would have trouble.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:04 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,340,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
I enjoy living in California and paying taxes is a cost of living there. Nobody said anything about "enjoying" paying taxes. You live in the US. Do you "enjoy" paying taxes to the IRS?
It is the added taxes for CA that are at issue - I am Ok to pay federal, it is paying for those insane benefits and the repeated leftist policies that are forced on me that I object to. I was born and grew up in CA, the left is "pushing" me out with their lack of working toward a more moderate position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
That's great, I hope you are happy living in NV. You do you. The fewer people that want to live in California the better as far as I'm concerned. Please tell all your friends in CA to follow you out to NV.
"The fewer people that want to live in California the better as far as I'm concerned." Tell people that when your house value drops as more move out and the only ones left are the very rich and those who are an absolute drag on society. Those who are left, their taxes are going up to insane levels to pay for the insane benefits.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:23 AM

4,319 posts, read 2,182,751 times
It bogles my mind that some people in CA seem actually *eager* to pay more taxes every year as some sort of sign of how supportive they are to be progressive for the newest ban that has a cost impact or the latest free stuff to give away (with my money).

"OH - Hello Mr. Taxman, was wondering if you'd be coming by this year...was beginning to worry. Should I bend over right here? Wallet's on the counter."

Old 02-12-2020, 11:30 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,837,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Plus $500mil is not a lot of money these days. We give more FMF out to countries like Israel on yearly basis. We gave many times more than that to a bunch of Afghan warlords.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...tary_Financing

Old 02-13-2020, 12:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
Quote:
and in the meantime the only country to ever drop nukes on anyone was the US and they dropped 2 nuclear bombs specifically on civilian populations. who has iran nuked? what has iran done to anyone? republicans are so mad about this but they have no problem with the US government spending $1 trillion a year mass murdering innocent people because their government is the most evil corrupt government in the world by far.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:48 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,837,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
and in the meantime the only country to ever drop nukes on anyone was the US and they dropped 2 nuclear bombs specifically on civilian populations. who has iran nuked? what has iran done to anyone? republicans are so mad about this but they have no problem with the US government spending $1 trillion a year mass murdering innocent people because their government is the most evil corrupt government in the world by far.
But at least we in USA can speak out against our own govt without reprisal. Obviously, only so far. There are still boundaries to how far you can go. Speaking is one thing, action is another.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:37 AM

20,023 posts, read 8,913,884 times
Quote:
ok.............doesn't mean we couldn't hold it longer.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:38 AM

20,023 posts, read 8,913,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
8 years of Obama

8 years at war
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.