Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2020, 10:19 AM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times

Advertisements

^Great explanation

Old 02-02-2020, 11:44 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm sure most didn't read the zerohedge article, but I read part of it. It's not based on fact. It's the author just talking that he's heard this and that, and states things as if they are fact, but doesn't cite any reason for him stating those things. People are leaving CA? Where did he read that?
https://www.sacbee.com/news/database...236910698.html

https://fox5sandiego.com/2020/01/06/...in-since-2010/

https://www.sfgate.com/expensive-san...t-14811246.php

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-data/2078950/

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/lo...a-600b8665ff1c

Reading is what's key here.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:48 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
What' hysterical is your lack of knowledge on this. These high tax states pay more in federal taxes than the other states. I understand eliminating the SALT deduction altogether and lowering federal tax rates across the board. But the cap is progressive. The end result is the federal government collecting additional tax from hard-working Americans. You may be pro-high-tax, but we conservatives are not. Trump simply increased tax revenue so he can increase spending. It's partly what is propping up the economy.
Absolutely incorrect. There is nothing "conservative" about allowing states to raise taxes and then have everyone else subsidize that by lowering their federal taxes.

The residents of any state that feel they're now paying "too much" now are free to vote to lower their own taxes. And we're all free to vote to reduce the ridiculous size and scope of the federal government, and slash all of the programs they have absolutely no business doing. But since the majority of dopes aren't going to do that, sorry, I will not vote for me to pay more or to add additional debt so that California and New York can fund programs on my back.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:15 PM

997 posts, read 849,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You don't have to go to court to get the laws changed. Just elect different (better) representatives. Laws are made by representatives of the people all the way from the local level to the federal level. Laws on tax matters can be changed by your representatives.

Admittedly, in some of the higher taxation states it may be quite difficult to do so. Entrenched power doesn't like to lose their perks and privileges, so getting them to cut taxes and services may be an uphill battle. It's made even more difficult when you have so many people voting for higher taxes and more freebies when they don't pay any taxes themselves.

As to your voting comment about having the "majority", if you're referring to the Electoral College, you'll find that has been part of our constitution since the country was formed, and the majority of constitutional scholars and clear thinking citizens favor keeping it. Of course, if you want to change it, there's a process for that too.

Oh, do you have a link or any proof of your claim about "kicking 100’s of thousands of legal registered voter off the rolls in numerous states"?
The majority I’m talking about is from the gerrymandering. The RepubliCONS are pros at it (yes a few blue states too). Wisconson’s last state election was over 63% blue yet they only hold about 1/3 of the seats. The CONS are pretty smooth at splitting the majority’s up into different districts or combining areas to dilute there representation.
As far as providing links, I think you already know what I’m saying is true. You can always google it.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:22 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
FALSE! STATES don't pay ANY income taxes to the federal government. PEOPLE pay taxes. And mostly it's the top 10% of taxpayers who pay the lion's share of taxes for the whole country. The fact that several states have high concentrations of high income people, doesn't mean they should pay any less in federal taxes than they would pay if they lived in a low income state. The amount of taxes your neighbors pay means nothing to your tax situation, and those who argue that it SHOULD mean something are simply griping because their special benefit was capped by Trump's tax law.

If you think that moving to Mississippi will lower your taxes any, just move there and find out. No doubt you would pay lower state taxes, but your federal taxes will be the same if you make the same money, and that's exactly as it should be.
The irony of the perception of Democrats that Red States are “subsidized” should make them happy.

After all, due to their desire for a “progressive” tax code those who make more pay more. And it just so happens that those on the coasts in average make more, so they get to “pay their fair share”. Didn’t Marx say that those who have more should give more?

State and local governments in NY and CA have based their tax and spend policy based upon the fact that certain industries and groups had to be in their state (finance, entertainment, etc.) but as technology makes some jobs location-independent this will be exposed for what it is.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:28 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I mean I know the common answer is going to be “because that’s the way it’s always been” but I never understood why it made sense that you should owe less to the federal govt. in taxes because you chose to live in a state that had high income and/or property taxes. Property taxes go to support local things like fire, police, school districts, etc. things that you as a San Fran resident directly benefit from and someone as a resident of Florida gets no benefit from. So why should you get to deduct that from what you owe to support federal infrastructure? It’d be like deducting your cost of private HS tuition or a private security detail.
Agreed.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:09 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Negative. In a very real way John Q Public in say Mississippi was subsidizing property high local tax rates in NY, NJ etc. If you can't understand that economics just isn't your thing.
I think that was the point. Your understanding of economics is completely lacking. No one in Mississippi is subsidizing anyone in any other state. The state doesn't have enough of a GDP to support itself... it's a welfare state... subsidized by the other states paying their fair share (including NY and NJ). You might want pick up an economics book and look at the actual numbers for each state. Trump has raised federal taxes for people with these SALT deduction caps. Money doesn't need to go to the fed. We need lower taxes at the federal level. The states can decide how they want to tax.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Absolutely incorrect. There is nothing "conservative" about allowing states to raise taxes and then have everyone else subsidize that by lowering their federal taxes.

The residents of any state that feel they're now paying "too much" now are free to vote to lower their own taxes. And we're all free to vote to reduce the ridiculous size and scope of the federal government, and slash all of the programs they have absolutely no business doing. But since the majority of dopes aren't going to do that, sorry, I will not vote for me to pay more or to add additional debt so that California and New York can fund programs on my back.
On the contrary, lower federal taxes, smaller central government and empowered states is, indeed, conservative. You're basis is that the federal government needs to college large amounts of tax to it can operate at a large scale. This liberal view is why our federal government is an overpowering mess. Trump's plan to increase taxes on people who are paying high local taxes, is s demonstration of immense liberalism.

Let the people who live in these states vote and determine what their states do. Empower the states, weaken the federal government. Trump's plan does the opposite.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I think you misunderstood, I am far from pro-tax. I was just pointing out that some were complaining about tax cuts and others pointing to the same as tax increases. Any increase seen was due to the reduction in federal subsidy for the taxes collected in high tax states. The high tax states should be faulted, not the federal tax SALT limit.
The federal government should stop overtaxing. Let the states deal with their tax problems. The federal government doesn't need more taxes.. it doesn't need to increase taxes for anyone. It needs to do exactly the opposite. We don't need a large federal government. We need a smaller federal government and empowered states. The SALT cap does the opposite. It collects more in taxes. I can understand getting rid of SALT deductions altogether and also reducing the federal tax rates altogether, but that's not what happened. Trump simply capped SALT deductions which favors some people into paying more taxes. Even removing SALT deductions altogether would have been better because it treats everyone the same.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:50 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
The federal government should stop overtaxing. Let the states deal with their tax problems. The federal government doesn't need more taxes.. it doesn't need to increase taxes for anyone. It needs to do exactly the opposite. We don't need a large federal government. We need a smaller federal government and empowered states. The SALT cap does the opposite. It collects more in taxes. I can understand getting rid of SALT deductions altogether and also reducing the federal tax rates altogether, but that's not what happened. Trump simply capped SALT deductions which favors some people into paying more taxes. Even removing SALT deductions altogether would have been better because it treats everyone the same.
You don't seem to get it - need to look at the whole system as it exists, not what you want to exist. We are not magically going to change the tax system overnight to eliminate all SALT deductions or reduce the size of government. While many would like smaller federal and state budgets, that is not happening anytime soon. Politicians on both sides have too much invested in the current system.

As long as federal tax regulations allow SALT to be deducted, the states have little incentive to reduce taxes. By not taxing SALT at the federal level, the federal tax system is essentially subsidizing some of the excess state taxes that are being paid to the state because that lost revenue must be made up elsewhere by increasing everyone's tax rates if expect a zero sum tax collected. Putting a limits on SALT deductions encourages the States to reduce their overtaxing behavior and allows to reduce federal tax rates and still collect same amount. Reducing federal tax rates also encourages economic growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics