Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 08:35 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times

Advertisements

i know what you mean, I got $105 back this year but had to pay $89 to file
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 09:29 PM

10,735 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Actually, I am owe 29 dollars and I have no issue paying what I owe. I just didn't want to pay Turbotax 30 dollars to pay IRS another 29 dollars. lol
Seriously? Still, after five pages?

Old 02-03-2020, 09:57 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Actually, I am owe 29 dollars and I have no issue paying what I owe. I just didn't want to pay Turbotax 30 dollars to pay IRS another 29 dollars. lol
OK, this is what confused me. It's the way you word it, saing "I am owe" and "we are owe". I'm guessing English is not your first language.

One says "I owe" or "we owe" if you have to pay or "I am/we are owed" if they have to give YOU money.

Old 02-04-2020, 12:45 AM

21,869 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Have you looked here to see what you might qualify for ?

https://www.irs.gov/filing/e-file-options

If income is too high, there may not be any "free" options.
It's free for anyone to file taxes. Either mail it in or use the free e-file from the IRS. The third party tax software is just ease of use.

Old 02-04-2020, 12:59 AM

21,869 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i know what you mean, I got $105 back this year but had to pay $89 to file
No, you chose to. Some people their taxes are complicated enough that it would be stupid not to. Mine are simple enough it's not really worth it. I pay for it because it is a bit faster but it's very much paying for convenience. By the time I get done doing the books though, which like many self-employed people I tend to not keep up on, I just want it done. I still end up needing to look through the publications but it is much less than I would without the software which saves some time.

Old 02-04-2020, 01:13 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think the whole point was not that she had to spend $30, but that she had to spend $30 to get back $29. It does seem illogical. It's like using a 50-cent stamp to mail in for a 35-cent rebate.

Then again, I will pay the cost of TaxAct in order to PAY the IRS. Even less logical! LOL. But it's worth it to me with living in one state and working in another (taxable in both) and receiving a pension from one (taxable in one). Let the program figure it out. Except if it's TurboTax, which apparently can't handle that situation. Dumped them three years ago because of it.
Yep, that was my point exactly. $30 is chump change, especially if your income is in the range cited in the OP. Like I mentioned, take out chicken is that much, and you are hungry again the next day, so that is very similar.

Just pay the $30, get it over with, and move on. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:50 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Well, one thing about paying for turbotax is that you have the software for the rest of the year. Should you get audited or your return had errors. You will have to reopen your return and go through the process and it is much easier to have turbotax check the error for you. If your taxes have errors it can cost you hundreds in penalties.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:32 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,654,332 times
Cool Thank you for asking!

This is such a timely issue and I thank you for posting it, glass_of_merlot!

I totally understand not wanting to pay $30 just so you can pay $29, too. I'm sorry not everyone understood but I suppose that's a given. You handled their comments very well, I might add.

My husband and I have been using a tax professional for years but this year, we no longer have a business so we don't have a lot of itemizing. We will be filing but thought we'd look into doing it ourselves again as we did years ago. We weren't "up" on all the internet options so this question and several of the answers were very helpful. There's nothin' like a good link and I got several from this thread.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:30 AM

982 posts, read 608,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelsizegirl View Post

And as an aside, anyone judging you for not wanting to spend $30 you don't HAVE to spend, probably doesn't have good financial sense. Good for you for investing in yourself enough to make a decent income, and then not taking that income for granted. Too many people do. Ignore the thirty-thousandaires and hold on to your $$ where you can.
I agree!

Old 02-04-2020, 10:42 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Freetaxusa. This is the second year I have used it. It took me about 45 minutes to do my taxes.
X2

Have used them the last few years- did not appear to be any income limits and easy to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics