U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2020, 05:57 PM
 
Location: 60630
12,506 posts, read 18,577,706 times
Reputation: 12026

Advertisements

This year we are actually owe taxes. $29.00. Not bad. Normally we file through TurboTax, however, this year because we made over 170k we have to pay for Turbotax Deluxe, $30, in order to file our taxes.

So Turbotax basically want us to pay them $30.00 in order for us to pay IRS $29.00.
I have a problem with that.

Where else can I go and file for free and just pay the 29 bucks I'm owe.

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2020, 05:59 PM
 
1,362 posts, read 517,861 times
Reputation: 4377
Print it out and paper file. It's still a thing!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2020, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
2,845 posts, read 1,426,389 times
Reputation: 6747
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
This year we are actually owe taxes. $29.00. Not bad. Normally we file through TurboTax, however, this year because we made over 170k we have to pay for Turbotax Deluxe, $30, in order to file our taxes.
I know you need the Deluxe to itemize deductions. There are things that you need paid versiuons for. Simply making over a certain amount, I don't think that's so.

But I very highly doubt you made $170K and owe $29 in taxes. If you already know that, then you've already done your taxes, so congratulations! File what you have. If you don't have anything to file, then you have not properly done your taxes, and don't really know what Uncle Sam's bite is.

IRS Free File is out there. HR Block has free filing. TaxAct lets you start for free.

But I'm guessing none of these wil work, and they'll all want money, and you're just gonna have to pry that wallet open and part with a few bucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2020, 07:27 PM
 
Location: 60630
12,506 posts, read 18,577,706 times
Reputation: 12026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I know you need the Deluxe to itemize deductions. There are things that you need paid versiuons for. Simply making over a certain amount, I don't think that's so.

But I very highly doubt you made $170K and owe $29 in taxes. If you already know that, then you've already done your taxes, so congratulations! File what you have. If you don't have anything to file, then you have not properly done your taxes, and don't really know what Uncle Sam's bite is.

IRS Free File is out there. HR Block has free filing. TaxAct lets you start for free.

But I'm guessing none of these wil work, and they'll all want money, and you're just gonna have to pry that wallet open and part with a few bucks
Yes HR block is free. I just filed. When I tried Turbotax free edition last night it told me I could not file using their free return because our income was over 100,000.. Not sure why. We did not itemize, just used standard deduction. But HR block gave me no troubles. So now I paid the 29 bucks and Im happy.

Why do you doubt we made ( husband and myself ) 170 k and owe irs $29.00?? I am not sure what you mean by that.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 01-31-2020 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2020, 08:03 PM
 
Location: 60630
12,506 posts, read 18,577,706 times
Reputation: 12026
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Print it out and paper file. It's still a thing!!
Omg how dreadful. But I would have if that was the only option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2020, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Chicago area
9,295 posts, read 13,902,322 times
Reputation: 17108
Freetaxusa. This is the second year I have used it. It took me about 45 minutes to do my taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2020, 11:39 PM
 
Location: SoCal
15,969 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Reputation: 13111
Lots of stuff free online even the IRS has one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM
 
12,438 posts, read 21,037,370 times
Reputation: 20825
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I know you need the Deluxe to itemize deductions. There are things that you need paid versiuons for. Simply making over a certain amount, I don't think that's so.

But I very highly doubt you made $170K and owe $29 in taxes. If you already know that, then you've already done your taxes, so congratulations! File what you have. If you don't have anything to file, then you have not properly done your taxes, and don't really know what Uncle Sam's bite is.

IRS Free File is out there. HR Block has free filing. TaxAct lets you start for free.

But I'm guessing none of these wil work, and they'll all want money, and you're just gonna have to pry that wallet open and part with a few bucks
Sure you can! If you pay what you estimate on a quarterly basis, like you’re self-employed, you can certainly earn 170 K and only pay $29 in taxes. Because you’re talking about the final filing of taxes, and you don’t calculate the whole amount you owe for the year, just what you still need to pay.

We did it every year, pretty much. We aimed for break even, between the state and Fed.
__________________
Solly says — Be nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM
 
Location: 60630
12,506 posts, read 18,577,706 times
Reputation: 12026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Sure you can! If you pay what you estimate on a quarterly basis, like you’re self-employed, you can certainly earn 170 K and only pay $29 in taxes. Because you’re talking about the final filing of taxes, and you don’t calculate the whole amount you owe for the year, just what you still need to pay.

We did it every year, pretty much. We aimed for break even, between the state and Fed.
Right. In total were paid much more... lol. Thanks to child tax credit and daycare cost were are not owe thousands..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
5,545 posts, read 8,991,462 times
Reputation: 7759
Have you looked here to see what you might qualify for ?

https://www.irs.gov/filing/e-file-options

If income is too high, there may not be any "free" options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top