Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 11:29 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,126,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
They will reduce in numbers but I don’t see a path where they all go away
I would have thought the same but I have seen the opposite. There's more banks around here than ever before. I guess people still like visiting banks. I haven't been to one in several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 11:50 PM

8,431 posts, read 4,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I would have thought the same but I have seen the opposite. There's more banks around here than ever before. I guess people still like visiting banks. I haven't been to one in several years.
Depends. If you’re landlording as I did for a few years, you go to the bank.

If there’s mortgage options I don’t know about, fill me in, but you go to the bank.

If you do much more than paying your credit card, you go to the bank.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:13 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,126,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post

If there’s mortgage options I don’t know about, fill me in, but you go to the bank.

I do commercial landlording and I handle all mortgages over the phone. For personal mortgages, I just call my credit union.

I do a lot more than paying credit cards. I deposit money, withdraw money, transfer money, etc.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:36 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,419,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post

You can deposit checks with a picture from your phone. I transfer money from my phone. My entire mortgage and all documentation was done through a portal to upload the documents and the signatures were all electronic.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:55 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,258,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
You can deposit checks with a picture from your phone. I transfer money from my phone. My entire mortgage and all documentation was done through a portal to upload the documents and the signatures were all electronic.
Same here except that I don't transfer money from my phone. I do everything on-line with my laptop, including paying all my bills.

I've read that some banks are experimenting with cafe- type "branches" where you can sit and have coffee, use free Wi-Fi, etc. It's meant to provide a relaxed atmosphere where maybe you'll be more open to buying investment products or other "financial planning" services. I don't buy my investments from banks. Never have.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:31 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,923,020 times
A couple of things to remember...

Comercial banking for small business have different needs than idividuals and are often best served by branches.

Banks are run by 'bankers' that see the business having a street presence not by analysts with priorities of online volume. Investments in retail stores will continue.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:08 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,101,361 times
There are 6 Chase Bank locations within about 5 miles of my house. I visit the nearest one about once a year when I need something notarized or want a large amount of cash for a travel or to pay a tradesman who wants to avoid sales taxes. When I visit, I am amazed and the number of customers both in the branch and using the auto lane. I have no idea why so many people need to use the branch.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:11 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,237,870 times
My branch can make a new debit card on the spot and also houses my safety deposit box. I also prefer to open new accounts in person and get have temp checks issued to start using right away.
My home address is a little wonky with a PO Box and the branch receives new credit cards for me to go in and pick them up.
I also see people swapping bags of change for paper money at the branch. I use tdbank.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:52 PM

17,696 posts, read 29,740,469 times
They are building more branches in my neighborhood.
Seems weird to me as I have not been in any brick & mortar building for "banking" in over 8 years.
I do everything online.
And, I am an old fart of 71.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:24 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,444,204 times
I think bank branches will be staying, but I do not know why. I make about 3-4 visits per year to one.
The bank branch I typically go to isn't that crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics