Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 09:14 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,751 times

Advertisements

They will go away... Just like in Europe. Many small towns that had like 2 or 3 banks have none. Everything is done on line. And no... I do not like it.
Banks are not here to serve you but to make money. Employees cost money. And buildings too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 04:00 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,445 times
I'm at the bank weekly. I'm self-employed and get 10 or checks a week to deposit. I also often need quarters to make copies of documents (at places that don't let you use your phone).

I refuse to bank on my phone or over wireless internet. I only bank on my wired desktop computer. Be able to get a car loan right now is also handy, especially since we tend to buy a car as a last minute decision.

Call me old, I'm fine with that!

Old 02-04-2020, 04:12 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i like local branches for a few reasons .

one is i don't like using atm's in stores to get cash for security reasons and the other is you can't always count on atm's working when you need cash .

we lost local atm's here 2x already . one in sandy and one when a lot of atm's went down after 9-11. while i don't do a lot with chase as far as activity , because we are private clients with them we know everyone and they do favors for us at times as far as getting around certain restrictions on perks . .

Old 02-04-2020, 08:43 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I would have thought the same but I have seen the opposite. There's more banks around here than ever before. I guess people still like visiting banks. I haven't been to one in several years.
Yup. Branches of new banks I’ve never heard of, opening on nearly every corner. It’s like drug stores and 7-11s!

Old 02-04-2020, 09:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

one is i don't like using atm's in stores to get cash for security reasons and the other is you can't always count on atm's working when you need cash .

we lost local atm's here 2x already . one in sandy and one when a lot of atm's went down after 9-11. while i don't do a lot with chase as far as activity , because we are private clients with them we know everyone and they do favors for us at times as far as getting around certain restrictions on perks . .
Those aren't favors. They're the benefits of qualifying for private banking services.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:24 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

The Chase Branch near my house is in an isolated location at the back of a large parking lot. It does not seem like a safe location after dark. I would much rather use an ATM in a store. The only ATM failure we ever encountered was at the Chase bank. My wife was charged for a withdrawal but no money was released. She had to file a report the next day and wait for them to investigate.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The Chase Branch near my house is in an isolated location at the back of a large parking lot. It does not seem like a safe location after dark. I would much rather use an ATM in a store. The only ATM failure we ever encountered was at the Chase bank. My wife was charged for a withdrawal but no money was released. She had to file a report the next day and wait for them to investigate.
I once had that at capital one . no money came out and it showed a deduction .

Old 02-04-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Those aren't favors. They're the benefits of qualifying for private banking services.
no they do us favors .. like you are only entitled to a chase culture card for your home area.. they hook us up when we travel for other free admissions otherwise you can't get access to other area cards

Old 02-04-2020, 11:38 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I do commercial landlording and I handle all mortgages over the phone. For personal mortgages, I just call my credit union.

I do a lot more than paying credit cards. I deposit money, withdraw money, transfer money, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
You can deposit checks with a picture from your phone. I transfer money from my phone. My entire mortgage and all documentation was done through a portal to upload the documents and the signatures were all electronic.
I’ve heard of that. It’s not for me. I’m a bit slow on the uptake when it comes to tech stuff.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Though the little branches in the supermarket seem to be fairly busy when I pass them, I personally have not set foot in a bank since 2009 when I closed a business account. Back then I would get many checks to deposit, and that was before they offered deposits by phone. Now with that convenience I cannot even see a reason for a business to need to go into the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics