Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2020, 11:33 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,198,393 times

Advertisements

Okay, thought experiment time. Preferably without getting into opinion or editorializing, list all potential benefits of advertising prescription drugs directly to consumers (DTC) and explain your answer(s).

Discussion to follow some reasonable number of replies to the actual question.

I will start with the two most obvious ones:
  1. Increase pharma manufacturer profit.
  2. Increase consumer awareness of drug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 11:47 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Okay, thought experiment time. Preferably without getting into opinion or editorializing, list all potential benefits of advertising prescription drugs directly to consumers (DTC) and explain your answer(s).

Discussion to follow some reasonable number of replies to the actual question.

I will start with the two most obvious ones:
  1. Increase pharma manufacturer profit.
  2. Increase consumer awareness of drug.
Can you first explain why you think these are benefits?

I'd argue the average consumer isn't informed enough from a medical standpoint to benefit from increased awareness of drugs. Increased pharma profits aren't necessarily a benefit, depending on what behavior that profit drives the pharma company towards.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:50 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,198,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Can you first explain why you think these are benefits?

I'd argue the average consumer isn't informed enough from a medical standpoint to benefit from increased awareness of drugs. Increased pharma profits aren't necessarily a benefit, depending on what behavior that profit drives the pharma company towards.
Thanks for playing. You might want to go look up "editorializing."

Old 03-05-2020, 02:00 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
...list all potential benefits of advertising prescription drugs directly to consumers (DTC)...
How about just selling these drugs DTC?

Old 03-05-2020, 02:43 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Well, I suppose a patient might ask their doctor for the advertised drug.

Maybe the doctor will give it, maybe not. But the tv watcher can't go and buy the drug on their own, so I doubt that the ads have much real value.

Maybe it is a program to keep stock prices up.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 03-05-2020 at 02:51 PM..

Old 03-05-2020, 05:11 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
It's hard to comment further without editorializing.

But, I will add a couple of other benefits:

-the revenue from those ads seems to be keeping some magazines afloat, especially those aimed at women and older people.
-a subset of making consumers more aware, but for some conditions that people are reluctant to discuss, even with their doctor or close friends (depression, incontinence, sexual dysfunction) consumers may be made aware that there's a name for what they have and their are remedies.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:29 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Well, I suppose a patient might ask their doctor for the advertised drug.

Maybe the doctor will give it, maybe not. But the tv watcher can't go and buy the drug on their own, so I doubt that the ads have much real value.

Maybe it is a program to keep stock prices up.
They can have value in certain circumstances.

-For something like birth control, that is elective and most women go to the doctor with a specific method/type in mind. Advertising can help a woman think about a specific option she might not have otherwise considered.

-For new drugs for conditions that haven’t had many new drugs/changes in years. For example, there was no treatment designed for preventive migraine treatment until recently and people tend to only have limited success with the other treatments that have been found to have benefit for a portion of migraine patients. Seeing an ad for the new drug might encourage the patient to go back to the doctor to see about trying it if they have already tried the other preventives and have had no luck. That said, the requirements for those drugs are pretty severe migraines, so a person with that condition would likely be under the care of a neurologist as it is.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:46 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,050,632 times
I did not learn anything about the advances in allergy treatment from my physician, so yes, I am a big fan of alternative sources of information.

Another way to look at it. When you vote, how much do you know about Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden, compared to the people running for the state board of education? How will you be able to make an informed choice for state board of education, when you know nothing about the candidates?

Old 03-06-2020, 07:16 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Increase consumer awareness of drug.
That is a benefit to whom?
Considering most drugs advertised on TV are extremely expensive, I have to assume the benefit is to the drug company.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:02 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Quote:
Thanks for playing. You might want to go look up "editorializing."
So do you not have an answer? You're starting this thread with pretty large assumptions. Why should I take it seriously if you aren't willing to explain your original post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics