U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 11:18 PM

1,514 posts, read 784,832 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by SuiteLiving
The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain. Respectfully, SuiteLiving
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
True, but Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
Respectfully, RationalExpectations.
What shall it profit a man to gain the entire world, if he yet lacks change for the Coke machine?
Respectfully, Supposn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 07:40 AM

34,831 posts, read 38,478,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post

What shall it profit a man to gain the entire world, if he yet lacks change for the Coke machine?
Respectfully, Supposn
He should then get a job stocking the Coke machine.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:34 AM

17,919 posts, read 16,087,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is not a guarantee, anyone will want to pay more for housing if they have more money. What if they want to spend on some other bargains? What if they do not want a mortgage to eat into any kind of savings they want to store up? As for your quote, correlation does not equal causation.

OK great ,then go ahead and offer the cause.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:20 AM

1,335 posts, read 633,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving
The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain. Respectfully, SuiteLiving

Respectfully, Supposn
I prefer Pepsi.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:58 PM

6,646 posts, read 3,123,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Thats great, so the right wing is going to encourage unionization of low end jobs now? After tearing unions down for decades? Unions really arent effective at this point in history. Death by thousand cuts of Republican laws and regulations.

Hey be nice if country was run for the benefit of the WHOLE country and not just the billionaires. But you know, what you gonna do.

As to subsidies, are the low end employers going to pay those subsidies, you know the ones that profit from low wages... Or are we all going to pay through higher taxes? Why should I subsidize McD and Walmart? Let them pay living wages and I will then decide if I want to pay what they are asking for their product/service. Its their job to have a business plan that doesnt require govt subsidies to make it work.
How are you subsidizing them?

Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

7,617 posts, read 7,100,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
OK great ,then go ahead and offer the cause.
Is not the topic of thread, but anyways. The main reason is speculations on the demand/desirability of living in that particular abode. And in sticking with the Bay Area/California theme of our convo, MW is not why people want to be in the Bay Area or California. The evidence being all those unemployed homeless people who choose California over anywhere else.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; Yesterday at 12:32 PM..

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
miu

17,420 posts, read 35,446,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
They already do this in droves. working more than one job and trying to squeeze in classes when they aren’t working, sleeping or taking care of their families.

This idea that they can press a magic button and assimilate/know perfect English overnight is mostly through a lens of ignorance.
YOU are the ignorant one. The current wave of immigrants from Central America don't even try to assimilate into American culture. I know this, because I have worked with them.

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

21,123 posts, read 14,949,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is not a guarantee, anyone will want to pay more for housing if they have more money.
There's always someone, and to prove your claim false, one needs only to look at housing prices.

If what you say is true, then housing prices would never rise, except to reflect the increased cost of labor, materials and government regulations.

There is a Law of Economics known as Demand Destruction, when prices for any good, service or resource reach a point that no one is willing to pay, but obviously that hasn't happened with housing.

Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM

21,123 posts, read 14,949,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
And the others can go live under a bridge somewhere.....
And that would be their choice and their choice alone.

There are other options. You are allowed to relocate anywhere in the US, and to many places in the World.

You are also free to share housing with others who are similarly situated.

Your position appears to be rather nauseating as it can be dumbed down to "I'm entitled by some god-thing to live where ever I want and if I can't afford it then other people or the government should pay my housing costs."

Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM

619 posts, read 106,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There are other options. You are allowed to relocate anywhere in the US, and to many places in the World.

You do realize it takes a lot of money to relocate? And the places with best paying jobs also have the highest cost of living?

Seriously you are unrealistic to think everybody is just like you. You go get even $15 an hour job and tell me how easy it is all on your own with no parents giving you a million dollars or even security deposit.

In other words its NOT their choice. Money gives you choices. Lack of money means choice is pretty limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or