Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2020, 03:02 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
How are you subsidizing them?

Because their pay is low enough for food stamps and no doubt in some blue states other forms welfare. Oh and they qualify for the yearly earned income credit if they have kids. Many localities also give Walmart property tax and sales tax breaks. Breaks the small guy doesnt get.

If you dont support a living wage for any other reason, you should so your taxes dont go to subsidize these corporations desire for cheap labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 03:34 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
YOU are the ignorant one. The current wave of immigrants from Central America don't even try to assimilate into American culture. I know this, because I have worked with them.
I can only imagine the level of education you have received. You walk through the forest but miss all the nice trees...

Assimilate? Let’s first start with survival tactics. The vast majority arriving from Central American countries have very little education or job skills. (First hand experience- I have tutored such immigrants!) Their kids and grandkids achieve the highest levels of assimilation, primarily based on the education they have access to here and better command of English/access to better paying jobs.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:00 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Really ? How much do you think an orange would cost if the picker was making $20/hour ?
About the same.They pick many in a hour. Maybe the farmer shouldn't be so greedy.....

Old 02-16-2020, 08:22 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,305,971 times
Originally Posted by gwynedd1
If you don't know that people are willing to pay more for a house when their wages increase I may as well debate with one of my pets. …
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is not a guarantee, anyone will want to pay more for housing if they have more money. What if they want to spend on some other bargains? What if they do not want a mortgage to eat into any kind of savings they want to store up? As for your quote, correlation does not equal causation.
NJ Brazen and Gwynedd1, youze guys are discussing consumers with differences of wealth, incomes, and motivations. They also have different visions and degrees of confidence regarding their future situations.

There are some people that will and others that will not choose to live in as fine a house as they can afford; there are some so poor, or are so motivated to impress others, that they’re impelled to obtain housing at prices that exceed what they can afford.

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 02-16-2020, 10:39 PM

10,709 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Because their pay is low enough for food stamps and no doubt in some blue states other forms welfare. Oh and they qualify for the yearly earned income credit if they have kids. Many localities also give Walmart property tax and sales tax breaks. Breaks the small guy doesnt get.

If you dont support a living wage for any other reason, you should so your taxes dont go to subsidize these corporations desire for cheap labor.
You’re new here so you can be excused for having missed it, but this has been addressed here a number of times.

The quick version is simple - food stamps, EITC, and other forms of welfare given to Wal-Mart employees does not result in tax paying citizens subsidizing Wal-Mart.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:56 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
not to worry, i see walmart trying to implement more and more automation and self checkout. this trend is only hastened by those pushing for higher minimum wages.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:35 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You’re new here so you can be excused for having missed it, but this has been addressed here a number of times.

The quick version is simple - food stamps, EITC, and other forms of welfare given to Wal-Mart employees does not result in tax paying citizens subsidizing Wal-Mart.

Dont just say it it is so, prove it. I call BS.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:49 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Because their pay is low enough for food stamps and no doubt in some blue states other forms welfare.
Did it ever occur to you that some people intentionally work part-time or low-paying full-time jobs in order to retain benefits

Because they do. There are 4,732,000 Americans who work part-time for economic reasons not related to slack work or the fact that they could not find a full-time job.

Not all of those of 4,732,000 work part-time to get benefits, because there are some who work part-time for tax reasons, meaning if they worked full-time they'd be in an higher tax-bracket and have to pay more in taxes to the federal or State or both, which would negate the benefit of working full-time.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:04 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
After my second year in college I took a 2 year hiatus, one of those years was spent working as a construction laborer. The year it appeared on my tax records I qualified for no benefits or grants. I squeaked by and made sure I made no income the next year.. The last year I qualified for grants and benefits.

Leftists really are idiots.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:48 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Originally Posted by gwynedd1
If you don't know that people are willing to pay more for a house when their wages increase I may as well debate with one of my pets. …
NJ Brazen and Gwynedd1, youze guys are discussing consumers with differences of wealth, incomes, and motivations. They also have different visions and degrees of confidence regarding their future situations.

There are some people that will and others that will not choose to live in as fine a house as they can afford; there are some so poor, or are so motivated to impress others, that they’re impelled to obtain housing at prices that exceed what they can afford.

Respectfully, Supposn

When it comes to statistics I deal in demographics where the number does not equal 1, either in population or in coeffcient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics