Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times

Advertisements

Why should we replace the furnace?
It's still running.

I had a guy offering INSTALLED 60000btu 85% furnace fir $2200.

He came to look/price, and he cleaned the igniter free, and said it'll last at least a few more years.

If so, why replace now?
Maybe next winter if we can.

If not, he said"a few more years" and checked the part that usually fails, said it was "very good shape".

He COULD have said that it " won't make the winter" to make a sale...but he didn't.

I WILL call on him to replace when it's time... not because of his install price ( I can buy the furnace on Amazon for $800), but because of his honesty!!!

We would like to have central air installed, but we spend most of the time in the bonus room, which is not on the heat run, has electric heat strip and window AC unit.

When we go to bed we turn on bedroom window AC 1/2vhour before bedtime, and turn off bonus room.
We have two other window units in the house, but rarely if ever use them.

Doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 03:52 PM

654 posts, read 423,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Better quality so they last longer
IDK about that, it seems to have gone the other way. Lots of cheap electronic parts from China in modern HVAC systems. Personally I don't use HVAC companies as much because of Youtube, Ebay and other website that make it easy to DIY.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:58 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
People are cheap and also they wait way too long, like until it gets hot and then the companies are booked for ages. Top of the line HVAC systems cost a good deal of money but if you have it, they’re worth it, versus the much less precise and ancient technology having one AC unit or two and then a furnace. So much better having a variable heat pump system, ones like the Trane XVi 20 variable to 1% intervals to use exactly what you need to heat or cool a place to within 0.1 degree. The builder installed cheap crap in my house but it works well enough and it’s too new to replace, so I’ll probably let it go for a while and then it’ll be $30K to replace with the good stuff.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:19 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I don’t think it has anything to do with the economy. The laws with respect to R22 changed starting on 1/1, so many people who were hoping to change out their HVAC systems to avoid issues with recharging their older units have already replaced them. Replacing Freon had already became much more expensive as the phaseout process was happening.
This may have something to do with it. Residential customers are having to bite the bullet and swap out heat pumps and air handlers right now, so the cost of jobs has jumped up. Minor repairs are now problematic on R22 units.

The HVAC companies in my area are all swamped though.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:48 PM

654 posts, read 423,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
People are cheap and also they wait way too long, like until it gets hot and then the companies are booked for ages. Top of the line HVAC systems cost a good deal of money but if you have it, they’re worth it, versus the much less precise and ancient technology having one AC unit or two and then a furnace. So much better having a variable heat pump system, ones like the Trane XVi 20 variable to 1% intervals to use exactly what you need to heat or cool a place to within 0.1 degree. The builder installed cheap crap in my house but it works well enough and it’s too new to replace, so I’ll probably let it go for a while and then it’ll be $30K to replace with the good stuff.
I'll take a AC and furnace any day over a heat pump. Much less up front cost, cheaper to run, better cold weather performance, easier to maintain. Trane residential units aren't all that great either, Trane makes good commercial units but not residential. I'll take a cheap Goodman with a good old copeland scroll over a Trane. Trane does a good job at marketing I'll give them that, if only the "can't stop a Trane" commercials were true, from my experience it's been the opposite.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:58 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
From what I've seen, a couple reasons.

1) the machines started getting a lot more efficient and reliable in the 2010s.

2) Steel tariffs raised the prices of new units.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:13 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
In all my years, I have never seen the HVAC industry so dead. It slows down every autumn but then picks up after a few weeks. It’s almost March and it has not yet picked up.

The two largest companies in a Maryland have one or two installs a week. Guys are getting 11 hours a week.

What’s the deal with the economy? Why are people not spending money?
Shouldnt it pick up in winter? This winter mild, but you still need heat. I in NYC, and we have steam heat. The machine breaks down all the time. Always some kind of problem. Parts need cleaning, parts need replacing.

Just recently I had to replace an entire boiler control, plus there was surging inside tank, so needed to mitigate that. And then it turns out return line burst, and had to change out whole section of pipe.

At another building the steam boiler also serves as hot water heater for whole building. The controls for that had to be changed as well.

And then at yet another building, the pilot of the boiler needed to be replaced.

Maryland probably a lot warmer than NYC though.

Old 02-29-2020, 01:36 AM

572 posts, read 324,861 times
It is not summer yet. Wait for April and you will be fully booked.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:50 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
I'll say this since no one else has.

The HVAC industry is subject to the same market forces as any industry. If there is low demand, business will slow unless you can attract more customers or diversify services. However, I highly doubt it is that slow everywhere. New house construction is up (and each new house presumably has an HVAC system.)

The key to growing an HVAC business might well be to win contracts with homebuilders to do the HVAC for brand new homes!

Old 02-29-2020, 04:35 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I ditched my HVAC last year and went with a Duct Free Mini Split, (12 year guarantee on parts/Labor) as many in my 55+ Mobile Home park are doing. The President of our Association has 4 in her Triple Wide. I also have 2 room A/C's in the back of my trailer. I just don't know what to do with that old noisy clunker in the back of my house.

I've been told the newer units are not as reliable as the older ones, particularly Lennox. I was told Amana is the best of the best right now if you want to go the HVAC route. When I got an estimate for that, plus new pipes, I was looking at $10k. My Split was $4800 and less than $400 for the Room A/C's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics