Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 05:25 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

If you’re cheating in a way that can be caught by route computer database audits, you’ll get a computer generated challenge that you owe taxes. They have your W2 and 1099 data.

There are lots of ways to cheat that don’t trigger that. Cash businesses is the obvious one. Very padded business expenses. If you’re not a high earner, the IRS no longer has the resources to have a human audit you. So if you’re a wage slave, it’s tough to cheat. If you’re self employed or own a business, the odds in 2020 are really low that you would get audited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 06:05 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
The one time we got audited the IRS discovered they'd made a mistake a couple years prior and we got a nice chunk of change back. So I am pro audit.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:12 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,168 times
People cheat because it's hard to catch everyone.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:26 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
They ALWAYS get caught, and get a stiff prison sentence, why are there people that think they can get away with it? I mean heck, in our current system Tax Evasion is treated far worse than rape, murder and genocide, so just how stupid does one have to be to do it?
Why do you think they always get caught? You may hear about the ones that do in fact get caught but there are probably tons more you don't know about because they don't get caught.

A lot of what goes into a return does not require documentation at the time of filing, only if you get audited. The IRS is under-staffed so auditing is mostly a result of their computer saying something looks wrong so if people file a legitimate looking return they probably won't be audited. Probably the biggest cheating going on is undeclared income for people who are self employed.

I got audited many years ago but it was because the IRS lost one of my pages of Schedule D.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:47 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
They ALWAYS get caught, and get a stiff prison sentence, why are there people that think they can get away with it? I mean heck, in our current system Tax Evasion is treated far worse than rape, murder and genocide, so just how stupid does one have to be to do it?
For the same reasons they think they can get away with fraud, sexual harassment, shoplifting, drunk driving, using and selling illegal drugs, and any other crime you can name.

Stupidity.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:53 PM

1,230 posts, read 992,708 times
Quote:

If you don't want to pay tax than become poor, homeless or go on welfare.

You think you can find some way to cheat the system.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:18 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
I was doing online stock trades.

When I filed taxes online I just clicked whatever took me the least amount of time.

I knew I was gonna get my pee-pee slapped at some point but, the amount they wanted back was just the percentage of the gains. I said fine I'll cut a check.

It was $1,400. They said pay. I paid, didn't give a lot of backtalk. They orginally said $4,600 but, I told them it's not possible I bought MCD at $0, I bought at $96 sold at $99 (plus some AMZN gains). So they checked, 2 to 3 minutes, then said $1,400.

Whole conversation took less than 10 minutes including hold time. Sent a certified return-receipt check, one and done in 5 weeks.

Now that sounds like a lot but, am I the only one that found them somewhat reasonable?

Heck, the DMV, you can barely pick up a blank form in 10 minutes...

Old 03-10-2020, 09:27 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I was audited the year after the, at that time, new rule about deducting child care expenses came in. It turned out fine as everything I did was legit but I think because it was new, the computer flagged my return.

It's been a long time but I think the system is set up to look for differences.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:30 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
If you don't want to pay tax than become poor, homeless or go on welfare.
Is that a coherent sentence? I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. When you say "don't want to pay tax than become poor", are you comparing the two or contrasting them?

Old 03-10-2020, 09:59 PM

1,230 posts, read 992,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Is that a coherent sentence? I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. When you say "don't want to pay tax than become poor", are you comparing the two or contrasting them?
The OP by the looks of the post does not want to pay tax and is looking for way to cheat the system. I said he would have to be poor or homeless to not pay or go on welfare.

Any other way he is trying to cheat the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics