Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 10:23 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
True - but irrelevant. The Spanish Flu, a virus, killed almost no one. What killed them was the so-called "SuperInfections" - secondary BACTERIAL infections that took root due to a combination of malnutrition (which resulted in compromised immune systems) and extraordinarily bad hygiene and crowding due to a lack of understanding of how the bug was transmitted.

Had antibiotics existed in 1918, few would have died. People would still have caught influenza, but few would have died.
This is pretty much exactly right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 11:00 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
I predict unemployment to exceed 10%

Old 03-16-2020, 12:20 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,650 times
Unemployment hit 25% during the Great Depression. Since we are entering a Greater Depression, (except this time with sharply higher consumer prices, due to massive inflation) real unemployment should hit more than 25%.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
It depends. Americans have a very short attention span. Once they realize this is simple fear mongering it could be dismissed quickly. we are talking about grand scale fear mongering though world wide in a level never seen before. The corona virus itself is a joke. The death rate looked at statistically for the older age groups is the same as any influenza flu strain.

The media controls information flow and creates perception which leads to a created false reality. Now lay offs are certain and the trickle effect will occur. everyone watches the garbage news and it just reverberates through there mind. Some virus expert states lies and folks run for toilet paper.

A good read is, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds.

everything is shut down now government wise. The pied piper plays the pipe and folks just dance. It's really sad.

Folks have been dumbed down so much though and are so mentally lazy that I can't see a quick rebound at all. I hope not for the hard working folks that need to support families. So I hope I am wrong. Quite often I am.
I can tell you if this is bs like yo say there will be some major backlash against news organizations. I mean news organizations haven’t been about the news in a long time. It’s all about ratings and sensationalism.

I’m not completely discounting the hysteria because my wife is prime candidate to get very sick from this. You say that people die of the flu etc. yes yiure right. But people get flu shots they do some preventative things to not get it. Everyone knows to stay away from the sick people. What do you do when the person looks healthy?

This is something that we haven’t encountered. Yes we all know flu season comes upon us. This is new, and truthfully unheard of. At no time in the history of the world have whole countries shut down like this. It’s not just old people who die from this.

I can tell you that my wife isn’t allowed to go out. I don’t want anyone visiting us other. If I’m wrong I’m wrong. But if I’m not I want my wife to be around above ground. Like you I pray I am wrong about this and it all blows over.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:29 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Hard to predict, but for now, it seems that the minimum wage and slightly higher people are those losing hours or being laid off. Those with good jobs and benefits are working from home, or even being paid to not work. When this is all over they will be able to go ahead and start spending again. The real problem is what establishments will still be there to patronize, with so many restaurants and nos some retailers closing up. For the restaurant and retail workers, the recovery will take a lot longer, waiting for their former or new employers to open up.
I think that is the way it will go.

I work in an IT for a health-related organization. I'm not in the least bit worried about job stability. We have a couple years worth of projects in the pipeline before this broke out. They're going to need people to keep running the internal systems, in addition to project work if we have the bandwidth to take it on.

I'm really worried about the "places to go and things to do" type of things. My local YMCAs are now closed until further notice. Restaurants, bars, event venues, any sort of public gathering place is getting battered. Some will make it through, but many will likely go bust.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Does anybody think we will see sustained double-digit national unemployment because of this like we did from 2009 through 11? Or do you expect the job market to come back quicker than it did after the 2008 crisis?
This is entirely differ from 2008-09. this is a product of a national emergency and should subside as the virus is under control. We probably have about 2 to 4 months of the panic and the slow economy which is awful right now. All the close down, the bad travel business and the entertainment business will recoup as well as all the other businesses will survive but we are in for some hard times.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
What treatment? There were no antibiotics in 1918. Whether or not you got a hospital bed in 1918 had little effect on your outcome. Some patients got sicker in the hospital because some doctors prescribed large quantities of aspirin.
There were no antibiotics, you are right, but viruses do not respond to antibiotics anyway.

Old 03-16-2020, 02:36 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
No, it did not. The Spanish Flu killed very few people.

What an amazing educational background these people have. I feel honored they share their expertise on these fora.
Right back at ya, friend.

Social media is going to prove more toxic than any virus. I do think that hysteria is being driven by it.

Old 03-16-2020, 02:38 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The treatments of the day included things like:

Aspirin for pain
Epinephrine
Digitalis
Theroized antibodies - which I think are blood derived serums.
Lots of attention was paid to lowering fevers......cool baths etc.

It's been years but I've read a good bit about the 1918 outbreak. IMO it wasn't that there was no difference between staying home and going to the hospital but instead that the sickest people ended up in the hospital.
Although you bring up a good point - there was no widely held and administered standard of care for pneumonia........ergo it's fair to say some sick people were literally killed by their docs.
Right, much of what became medical science was in response to it.

The problem was that in the short-term hysteria, hospitals got over-run and so people who might have been stabilized with things like cool baths didn't get them.

Old 03-16-2020, 02:48 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is entirely differ from 2008-09. this is a product of a national emergency and should subside as the virus is under control. We probably have about 2 to 4 months of the panic and the slow economy which is awful right now. All the close down, the bad travel business and the entertainment business will recoup as well as all the other businesses will survive but we are in for some hard times.
I don't know how many times I have to say this but the problem is not the virus, the problem is the debt-driven hyper-bubble economy. In the 2008 recession, the pin that pricked the bubble was falling home prices. In the 2020 recession/depression, the Corona virus is the pin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics