Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 03:16 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times

Advertisements

They weren't the only ones, there are plenty of others who are now stocked with warehouse full of this stuff and they can't unload them as ebay, Amazon, etc all cracked down on selling.

The last crisis here, people drove hundreds of miles to load up on drums of gas to resale $50 for 10 gallons. Gas shortages caused by panic people. Eventually the state adopted rationing and gas fueling requirements to ease the shortages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 04:31 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That was not their original intention.They wiped the shelves clean of over 17,000 hand sanitizers.

Imagine being an elderly person or a person undergoing chemotherapy because you are a cancer patient, and you have a compromised immune system. You go into a store to buy one bottle of hand sanitizer and find the shelves have been emptied. So you go to another nearby store, and same thing. And another and another. Then you find out you can only buy one on amazon for $70.

They are only donating the sanitizers now because of getting death threats and public backlash.

There was no good deed here.
Did you read the article? It was clear that their intent was to sell the items at a markup.

You don't think the items being donated is a good deed? It definitely helps society for items to be donated. It most certainly is a good deed.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:38 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
Did you read the article? It was clear that their intent was to sell the items at a markup.

You don't think the items being donated is a good deed? It definitely helps society for items to be donated. It most certainly is a good deed.
They didn't donate them. The items were seized by the AG

Old 03-17-2020, 11:42 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
This behavior is done daily by the pharmaceutical industry. Its capitalism folks.

Land of the free and all that rubbish that is fed to the mass's.

The guys saw an opportunity and planned accordingly. How is that any different in the capitalist realm of business. Product and demand has been the bread and butter of an ecomony.

Do I think they had a moral duty to release it as a Gift gesture? Nope. They can hoard can's of lima a beans and no one would bat an eye. Let it be this current commodity and folks want their heads on a plate.

I detest price gouging. I have no regard for the purchasers though who go and buy it. Its a tug of war . Just don't pick up the rope.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
This article was posted earlier by someone else:

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/tenness...ws.106353.html

According to the article, it was donated or will be donated.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:00 AM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
I asked the question before and no one responded, so I’ll try again.

By what legal mechanism did the AG seize this guy’s property?

Old 03-18-2020, 12:47 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Doesn't seem to be the case. Rather, he had no tried and true medium to sell his goods as Amazon kicked his listings from the site. He could have tried selling the goods out of his garage, but something tells me he would have been a target for violence if that happened.
If he did not price gouge so much, Amazon likely leave him alone. He must have known something like this may happen, or at least given a chance by Amazon. Or if enough people would purchase at his price quickly enough, Amazon not catch on in time.

He can do a garage sale, why not? Unless there are people violently robbing drugstores for supplies, nothing likely to happen at garage sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I can tell you didn’t read the article, or visit the local store. The demand for sanitizer is still very high.

He simply overestimated his ability to find a 3rd party to help him sell it on a national level.
If so high, he should be about to sell on street. Just go to strip mall parking lot and discretely offer. Or anywhere local ordnance permits him to do such.

He wont be able to price gouge that much on national level, because he will have more competition. He will face local, plus distributors already selling on national level like other Amazon sellers.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I asked the question before and no one responded, so I’ll try again.

By what legal mechanism did the AG seize this guy’s property?
There's two laws could possibly apply:

1. Price gouging of essential goods (I don't agree that hand sanitizer is an essential good but AG could disagree)
2. Operating a retail business without a license

Old 03-18-2020, 01:21 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
No he didn’t. He simply doesn’t have a outlet to sell because if he did I guarantee he would be selling for those high prices laughing all the way to the bank.
When you buy as much inventory as he did, you expect to still be able to make money with your contingency sales plans. He should try hitting the road and peddling his goods where local ordnance permits. But apparently, he just gives up because he cannot sell on the internet.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:51 AM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
There's two laws could possibly apply:

1. Price gouging of essential goods (I don't agree that hand sanitizer is an essential good but AG could disagree)
2. Operating a retail business without a license
Both of those situations can result in him being prevented from selling, but neither will allow for the seizure of his inventory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics