Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 06:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Anyone think the world might be heading toward a global reset of debt, is it even possible?

https://www.fnarena.com/index.php/20...-global-reset/

Your thoughts
How is it a debt reset? You still owe on the debt you have now. If you bought something that debt isn’t forgiven just because of this virus. There might be a reassessment of asset value but my house I still owe what I owe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 06:56 PM

492 posts, read 234,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
How is it a debt reset? You still owe on the debt you have now. If you bought something that debt isn’t forgiven just because of this virus. There might be a reassessment of asset value but my house I still owe what I owe.
Our entire system is debt based. There will be a reset of asset prices and thats it. lets just hope this thing fades away. The market is resetting, maybe some resetting in real estate. But so what, these two areas were over priced anyway.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:09 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
So I have a question trying to keep it on topic. Yesterday I was watching Jim Cramer and he said that if the feds did not lower interest rates Sunday and do the QE banks would not have opened Monday morning.

Is there any truth to that?

Old 03-17-2020, 10:45 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I guess a lot of this boils down to a simple question: What is the value of a bond when the issuer no longer has the cash flow necessary to fund its operations and make the interest payments?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybu.../#68d544d55b15

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

Old 03-18-2020, 02:39 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Once again; Gold is the currency of kings. Silver is the currency of noblemen. Barter is the currency of serfs. Debt is the currency of slaves.

The ancient Hebrews had a jubilee every seven years when all debt was cancelled out.There is an old depression era tale about a town assessor coming to a farm and telling the farmer he must be doing pretty well to afford a hired hand.

"Oh, he ain't a hired hand. He works for me til his back wages add up to the worth of the place. Then I go to work for him."

Old 03-18-2020, 06:53 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
Our entire system is debt based. There will be a reset of asset prices and thats it. lets just hope this thing fades away. The market is resetting, maybe some resetting in real estate. But so what, these two areas were over priced anyway.
Reset of prices isn’t a reset of debt. It’s still debt. The only good thing about this is if you’re buying something you’re most likely gonna get a good deal out of it. But unless you got cash in hand or swing one hell of a paycheck and credit you’re most likely taking a beating in your investments right now like everyone else. (And that good deal on something is gonna be a car or a house or some consumer good or service. But not all people buy extravagant things in a bad economy. )

That’s the thing. Some who was looking to buy housing but was “waiting for this market to drop” is most likely unable to buy right now due to uncertainty, job loss etc. only strong buyers are gonna be able to buy in a bad economy. Everyone else will be on the fence shaking their fists.

There may be some price resetting while this thing runs through but as soon as it’s done, the market will rev back up. The only reason it killed the economy is because people stopped traveling and the government started shutting down areas and businesses due to the CV19. The economy doesn’t shut down when we have flu season. It never has. This isn’t a normal flu. If it was it would still be full throttle economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Once again; Gold is the currency of kings. Silver is the currency of noblemen. Barter is the currency of serfs. Debt is the currency of slaves.

The ancient Hebrews had a jubilee every seven years when all debt was cancelled out.There is an old depression era tale about a town assessor coming to a farm and telling the farmer he must be doing pretty well to afford a hired hand.

"Oh, he ain't a hired hand. He works for me til his back wages add up to the worth of the place. Then I go to work for him."

Some people don’t have actual gold. Even if they invested in gold they don’t hold actual gold. These are all great analogies but truthfully there isn’t much that’s a safe bet. Gold is great but I’ll bet if you’re starving you’ll trade that ounce of gold for a fried chicken

Old 03-18-2020, 07:39 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
I just want to point out that I am not advocating for a "debt reset", I literally do not even have a clue what that would look like. Would it just be government debt? With how complicated the world economy is I can't see how it is possible without starting WW3.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:45 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I just want to point out that I am not advocating for a "debt reset", I literally do not even have a clue what that would look like. Would it just be government debt? With how complicated the world economy is I can't see how it is possible without starting WW3.
I would like to know if consumer debt is part of our "national debt" number on the "clock".

Old 03-18-2020, 01:55 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Debts are either serviced, repaid, or defaulted. If someone owes a lot more on a mortgage than the house is worth, it’s totally rational for them to walk away from it. That “resets” the debt and the mortgage holder finds out what they actually have when the house is sold in foreclosure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics