Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 07:51 AM

2,746 posts, read 1,779,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
i read somewhere this is based off 2019 taxes and if you have not filed they will use 2018?
Yes, here's what it says:

(5) ALTERNATE TAXABLE YEAR.—In the case of an individual who, at the time of any determination made pursuant to paragraph (3), has not filed a tax return for the year described in paragraph (1), the Secretary may (A) apply such paragraph by substituting ‘2018’ for ‘2019’, and (B) if the individual has not filed a tax return for such individual’s first taxable year beginning in 2018, use information with respect to such individual for calendar year 2019 provided in (i) Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, or (ii) Form RRB-1099, Social Security Equivalent Benefit Statement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 10:50 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Breaking news - they are planning to send checks to the people:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...break-n1161721

Rumor is that it is going to be $1000

I am against this idea... I think the Unemployment benefit program should be extended to minimum of 12 months and I think the Unemployment benefit amount should be increased. A $1000 check isn't going to cover much especially given that in the other thread I had mentioned that the COL in the US has reached Tranquility base (Rents/Health insurance - and these aren't coming down just because the economy is in a death spiral - greedy landlords who are renowned for being the vultures of humanity aren't going to lower rents).
Is this because you rent and your LL charges you “high” rent? Who actually declares what is high rent? The tenant? The landlord? The market? Other people willing to pay more?

I don’t like what a body shop wanted to charge me to paint a car. He’s a vulture. So I guess that could be said about anyone who charges for a service, gas stations, restaurants, supermarkets, hotels, your mechanic, car dealer pretty much anywhere and anyone who wants money for services. I mean they’re all vultures by your definition.

Like anything the economy is in a death spiral for some people. Not for everybody

How the f do you know what LL are and aren’t gonna do? Rents are based on the economy and people’s incomes. If you can’t find someone to rent at your price you drop the price until you do.

If I have to lower my rents to get tenants I will. If I don’t have to I won’t. If I can raise them I will if I feel that it’s needed. Right now I’m not raising rents because I don’t think it’s fair to do so. I still make plenty of money and I’m retaining my tenants. Rents around are going up yet again.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:25 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Let's hope the banks stay open so people can deposit them....
The intention or value of comments like this is unclear. In a time when many of us need hope, you seem to be trying to kill it.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:30 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
https://www.aarp.org/politics-societ...us-checks.html

AARP worked to ensure that individuals who are collecting Social Security benefits for retirement, disability or Supplemental Security Income will be eligible for the stimulus checks, based on their tax returns or Social Security Administration data.

AARP successfully fought to guarantee that low-income Social Security recipients would receive the full $1,200 check, not $600 as originally proposed.

Old 03-26-2020, 03:51 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Breaking news - they are planning to send checks to the people:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...break-n1161721

Rumor is that it is going to be $1000

I am against this idea... I think the Unemployment benefit program should be extended to minimum of 12 months and I think the Unemployment benefit amount should be increased. A $1000 check isn't going to cover much especially given that in the other thread I had mentioned that the COL in the US has reached Tranquility base (Rents/Health insurance - and these aren't coming down just because the economy is in a death spiral - greedy landlords who are renowned for being the vultures of humanity aren't going to lower rents).
rofl.

$600 a week on top of what they'd get from unemployment is pretty generous for the majority.

and 12 months would be way too long. People go back to work soon as this has passed.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
rofl.

$600 a week on top of what they'd get from unemployment is pretty generous for the majority.

and 12 months would be way too long. People go back to work soon as this has passed.
Amounts and duration of benefits aside, I would applaud the choice of using each state's UI benefits program to transfer the payments, as they already have employment data on each of their recipients (even before they applied), have fact finding audit programs, and require weekly reports to confirm the unemployed person is still seeking work.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:26 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
rofl.
Agree fully. They are being paid to not work.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Agree fully. They are being paid to not work.
This is kind of the point, thought. It is as much an enhanced UI benefit as it is telling them to not jump the gun and seek work any sooner than their employer calls them back.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:27 PM

839 posts, read 1,208,849 times
Anyone know from reading if the $500 for children under 17 includes children under 24 but in college ? Its considers children dependents 17 and under or 24 and under if a full time student

Old 03-26-2020, 05:39 PM

8,205 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
File for 2019 quick and you'll get a check if youre under the limits.
If you have zero income and file for 2019 really quick with the zero income, would you get a check? Or will the IRS spit it out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics