Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 11:10 AM

274 posts, read 318,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiChiMaster View Post
What happens when the drunken spending party ends?

What happens when billions of people wake up with the dream of endless, mindless consumption is shattered?

What happens when people realize that they don't need an expensive new smartphone, a cruise to no where, or an expensive University that teaches nothing? That life can be enjoyed without destroying it.

Who knows what will happen? For sure the air will be cleaner. The water will be purer, and for many people, the spirit will be refreshed. But for no one, will it be the same.
I sincerely wish that humanity could/would learn some of these lessons and fundamentally alter our existence, but I think you're giving people way too much credit and it is sad. My own uneducated guesses to answer these questions would be:

1. They won't. As long as people have a smartphone and a car they'll get by and a couple years down the road when there is a vaccine and this is forgotten about, the Kardashians will once again be the most important thing.

2. They will always want the expensive new smartphone, and will sacrifice almost anything else to have it. It's an addiction for most that rivals any recreational drug.

3. I wish it would change existence, but it will all be forgotten shortly after a vaccine is available and/or herd immunity has made it an afterthought for people. It'll be back to mindless consumption, detachment from the origin of our species in relation to the planet and instead just ****ting all over it.

I wish it weren't true, but it will be nothing but a blip in a decade and nothing will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 11:51 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
The world is never going back to "normal" after this. The entire foundation of the debt based, infinite growth economic model may be irreparably broken.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:40 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
I really wish I could fast forward 12 months ahead and find out how this turned out...

Old 03-26-2020, 12:57 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The world is never going back to "normal" after this. The entire foundation of the debt based, infinite growth economic model may be irreparably broken.

I am not sure that is a bad thing. Explain how you come to this conclusion? Say we somehow get out of this mostly intact later this year. Most people still have the same debt load they had before, Home, Cars, Credit cards, etc. And corporate debt remains. What changes then? Does the asset value diminish greatly?

Old 03-26-2020, 01:39 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
stocks on pace for biggest gains since 1932....

Old 03-26-2020, 02:01 PM

259 posts, read 174,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
I sincerely wish that humanity could/would learn some of these lessons and fundamentally alter our existence, but I think you're giving people way too much credit and it is sad. My own uneducated guesses to answer these questions would be:

1. They won't. As long as people have a smartphone and a car they'll get by and a couple years down the road when there is a vaccine and this is forgotten about, the Kardashians will once again be the most important thing.

2. They will always want the expensive new smartphone, and will sacrifice almost anything else to have it. It's an addiction for most that rivals any recreational drug.

3. I wish it would change existence, but it will all be forgotten shortly after a vaccine is available and/or herd immunity has made it an afterthought for people. It'll be back to mindless consumption, detachment from the origin of our species in relation to the planet and instead just ****ting all over it.

I wish it weren't true, but it will be nothing but a blip in a decade and nothing will change.
There has never been a vaccine for a virus and there never will be. Viruses mutates. Deaths from influenza have gone up not down despite "vaccinations". It is all myths feeding on hopes. It's also very profitable. The only protection is a strong immune system which needs good food, exercise, clean water, and a happy spirit.

People are doing with less. Will they go back to being drunk. Industry and banks will try their hardest because they are essential drug pushers whose job is to create addictions. My friends are cutting back and I never felt the need to consume and pollute. Maybe others will learn the joys of the Simple Life.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:05 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am not sure that is a bad thing. Explain how you come to this conclusion? Say we somehow get out of this mostly intact later this year. Most people still have the same debt load they had before, Home, Cars, Credit cards, etc. And corporate debt remains. What changes then? Does the asset value diminish greatly?
Look at the sharp declines in some of the REIT stocks, equities supposedly backed by commercial properties and rental income, you know those ”real” assets. The assets didn’t diminish in value, they were never worth that much to begin with, and the markets are finally calling their bluff.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:07 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiChiMaster View Post
There has never been a vaccine for a virus and there never will be.
Measles, mumps, rubella, polio, and especially smallpox would like to have a word with you.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:25 PM

105 posts, read 71,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Measles, mumps, rubella, polio, and especially smallpox would like to have a word with you.
LOL I was thinking the same thing...

Old 03-26-2020, 08:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Forbes is forecasting a possible Great Depression 2.0...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnmau...t-a-recession/

I get his arguments but I feel it's going to be as bad as 2008 tops!! 2008 was pretty messed up so that is bad but Depression? I don't buy it.

I think a lot of people have forgotten how bad 2008 was, it was total carnage, people losing jobs and homes like flies!
I have thought that we had a recession coming this year due to Trump policy, the fact we haven't had a market correction in a decade (mostly due to playing on house money with quantitative easing rounds.) Covid-19 was that. Many multinational companies will see loses and not small ones mind you. I mention Walt Disney Company a lot in the Covid-19 issues when I speak of the economic impact on multinationals because it is an easy one.

Walt Disney back around Lunar New Year had to close their Chinese Disney theme parks. This was a rather huge lose in it of itself. Then they had a number of cancellations on their Disney Cruise Line, even though they had only one case of Covid-19 (as oppose to the Princess cruise petri-dishes.) Then Pixar had a bomb, not in quality but the fact that people didn't want to be in a theater with others, even before social distancing. Then they postponed both Mulan and then Black Widow because of the theaters closing. Then they closed Disneyland and later Walt Disney World with no-reopen in site. The Chinese Disney theme parks are now slowly re-opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics