Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 10:28 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,729,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Because CNN said so.
Here is a right-wing rag that says so. It's found in the last paragraph.

https://www.cnsnews.com/article/wash...ill-be-largest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 08:05 AM

2,751 posts, read 1,789,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
Here is a right-wing rag that says so. It's found in the last paragraph.

https://www.cnsnews.com/article/wash...ill-be-largest
Here are the last 2 paragraphs - no mention of big business, no mention of a slush fund.

"So, the total package here comes to roughly $6 trillion: $2 trillion direct assistance, roughly $4 trillion in Federal Reserve lending power. Again, it’ll be the largest Main Street financial package in the history the United States. Liquidity and cash for families, small business, individuals, unemployed, to keep this thing going.

"We’re headed for a rough period, but it’s only going to be weeks, we think. Weeks and months. It’s not going to be years, that’s for sure. And hopefully pave the way for continued economic recovery after this crisis departs."

Old 04-08-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Here are the last 2 paragraphs - no mention of big business, no mention of a slush fund.

"So, the total package here comes to roughly $6 trillion: $2 trillion direct assistance, roughly $4 trillion in Federal Reserve lending power. Again, it’ll be the largest Main Street financial package in the history the United States. Liquidity and cash for families, small business, individuals, unemployed, to keep this thing going.

"We’re headed for a rough period, but it’s only going to be weeks, we think. Weeks and months. It’s not going to be years, that’s for sure. And hopefully pave the way for continued economic recovery after this crisis departs."
Read between the lines- “$4 Trillion in Federal Reserve lending power “. That’s approx 10 times the $450 Billion, the initial investment that is leveraged to ~ $4 Trillion.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Read between the lines- “$4 Trillion in Federal Reserve lending power “. That’s approx 10 times the $450 Billion, the initial investment that is leveraged to ~ $4 Trillion.
How does that make it a slush fund for big business for government to use to hand out to Trump's friends? Or is that reading between the lines as well?

Old 04-08-2020, 10:01 AM

14,496 posts, read 20,698,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerrose View Post
I filed my income tax return online and it was accepted back on Jan. 29th, 2020.

I owe, no refunds for me. BUT....I read posts from all over on different platforms.

I noticed before this whole virus fiasco that people were posting that they filed
early and are not getting their IRS refunds. When Steve Mnuchin made the
stimulus check payment announcement, I immediately wondered how on earth
the IRS was going to handle the caseload.

Yesterday I did some googling, turns out the reason for the refund delays is
due to anti theft precautions and the IRS having software issues due to the
changes in the tax law for 2019.

Then today, I signed onto the IRS.gov web page to double check my information.
The IRS does not show anything about my 2019 tax return filed. Turbotax shows
the IRS accepted my return Jan. 29th, 2020. Hmmm.....

I just do not think this all bodes well for stimulus checks promised to the public.
I just see a disaster looming, I hope I am wrong. I just do not see how on earth
the IRS is going to manage this with the information I am seeing. What do you
think??? My stress is driving me crazy. I just see the collapse of government
systems of all sorts occurring. I pray it ends up in some much needed new
approach methods of dealing with the very real issues of the volume of our
nations population numbers. A one size fits all approach is not adequate
anymore.

IRS and Turbo Tax
We called both. We file a tax return but never owe taxes and never get a refund, so the IRS does not have our bank account information. They know our income though and they may send out a paper check. Neither the IRS or TT was able to give us any clarity.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:13 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerrose View Post
I filed my income tax return online and it was accepted back on Jan. 29th, 2020.

I owe, no refunds for me. BUT....I read posts from all over on different platforms.

I noticed before this whole virus fiasco that people were posting that they filed
early and are not getting their IRS refunds. When Steve Mnuchin made the
stimulus check payment announcement, I immediately wondered how on earth
the IRS was going to handle the caseload.

Yesterday I did some googling, turns out the reason for the refund delays is
due to anti theft precautions and the IRS having software issues due to the
changes in the tax law for 2019.

Then today, I signed onto the IRS.gov web page to double check my information.
The IRS does not show anything about my 2019 tax return filed. Turbotax shows
the IRS accepted my return Jan. 29th, 2020. Hmmm.....

I just do not think this all bodes well for stimulus checks promised to the public.
I just see a disaster looming, I hope I am wrong. I just do not see how on earth
the IRS is going to manage this with the information I am seeing. What do you
think??? My stress is driving me crazy. I just see the collapse of government
systems of all sorts occurring. I pray it ends up in some much needed new
approach methods of dealing with the very real issues of the volume of our
nations population numbers. A one size fits all approach is not adequate
anymore.
I filed in February, Turbo Tax, and had my refund in less than a week.
I don't know anyone that is having ANY issues with getting their refunds. I don't believe there is any problem.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
How does that make it a slush fund for big business for government to use to hand out to Trump's friends? Or is that reading between the lines as well?
Look, I can't do all of your research for you. If you want to stay with your opinion and not read more into what's going on, then it's up to you.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Look, I can't do all of your research for you. If you want to stay with your opinion and not read more into what's going on, then it's up to you.
So you don't have an answer, got it, or maybe I'm just using the wrong brand of tin foil for my hat.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:09 AM

14,496 posts, read 20,698,700 times
As far as those on SS.
From a news story, the first round next week will be to SS recipients who have their bank info with the IRS.

The next week they move to those on SS and the SSA has their direct bank account information.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:13 PM

837 posts, read 1,713,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
For the first time in 20+ years, I was unable to file electronically, as somehow something didn't match last year's return and the IRS rejected it. I tried various things to fix it, but finally gave up and mailed my return on March 16. USPS tracking shows it is still in transit. (Maybe the IRS office in Kansas City is shut down?) I guess I will wait a week and if doesn't get there, just mail it in again.
don6170--I also had a problem filing online. Last year, I used OLT to file on line and all was well. This year, my state taxes--which OLT says should be free for me--looked fine initially. I like to print forms out and check them with my own calculations before hitting the button to submit. When I logged in again, the site said that I couldn't file online because I owed state taxes. After initially correctly calculating my state refund, a new calculation of my state filing did not take into consideration the taxes already paid. I could not seem to fix it online. Furthermore, OLT site didn't allow me to file Fed taxes online after screwing up my state taxes. (I know that seems odd, but I tried valiantly to file at least the Fed tax online and couldn't do it.) I gave up and mailed paper forms for both on 2/24.

USPS tracking of Fed tax form showed in transit until 3/2 and did not update for 2 or 3 weeks. Finally, I got a notice saying it had been delivered 3/4. My state form was tracked as delivered the day after I mailed it and I got the refund middle of March. Haven't seen hide nor hair of the Fed refund and the IRS check your refund site is not operational. A bit of googling shows lots of people in the same boat. I think they've trimmed the IRS staff to a barely functional level--punishment for a certain vindictive someone's audits??? Now, of course, the covid-19 epidemic is making things worse.

I think it's great to encourage online filing, but this is a second time I had to file paper forms because the online software did not behave as expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics