Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 09:03 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times

Advertisements

This shows the Fed artificially lowers interest rates and boosts the price of financial assets with global QE and forward guidance of ultralow overnight rates.

https://twitter.com/Schuldensuehner/...86003454251009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 09:04 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The banks are still solvent. Real estate values are stable. That's why the markets have not deleteriously crashed. The markets right now are pricing in a relatively short downturn in the discretionary service sectors.

They will crash if the banks become unstable.
No way the Fed would allow that to happen today on any significant scale. We know that from the post 2008 crash.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:05 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
This shows the Fed artificially lowers interest rates and boosts the price of financial assets with global QE and forward guidance of ultralow overnight rates.

with rates so low on money markets and cd's , no question people are looking at more volatile investments ..

with bonds and gold up a lot and stocks and high yeld bonds down so much they tend to see investor money flowing in .

Old 04-05-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

Nothing 'artificial' about it. Rates have to be set and adjusted.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:11 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
when we leave it in play it is no different then anyone else first buying in that day .

our profits or losses are already reflected up to that point .
Right. We are faced with the decision any given day to stay in at the current price or sell out. If the DCA is below that price, it is a gain; if DCA is higher, it is a loss. So the current price reflects something different to each person depending upon when they entered the market.

But that point doesn't answer the OP's question: why has the market dropped so much? My point is that I don't think the market has dropped that much for many stocks since we are only going back to prices last seen in late 2019.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It hasn't dropped enough. The Dow should be between 6000 and 8000 given today's economy.
As a doc I believe that medicine will get us more knowledge and enough control of the virus situation in the coming months. Look to China and Italy for a somewhat delayed look at what to expect here. I am not as pessimistic as you, but would not be surprised at another 10 or even 20% more of a drop. As a long term investor I'll be buying soon, as I see this whole situation as another buy low opportunity. It might take a year or more, but I am optimistic long term.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:08 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

a better saying is buy high and sell higher. when that trend is already moving up that upward momentum may be the better time to buy . buy high and sell higher may be a whole lot more profitable but you never hear that.

why?

because the people who know don't tell , and the people who tell don't know.
You never hear that because it rarely happens. Nobody sells when the market is heading up. Once the market heads down, all those stop loss orders kick in, pushing the market down. Hedge funds know to short the market to ride the stop loss, so they short the market, and down it goes.

The only people who count are the ones with a seat. The rest of us are left wagging the dog.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
As a doc I believe that medicine will get us more knowledge and enough control of the virus situation in the coming months. Look to China and Italy for a somewhat delayed look at what to expect here. I am not as pessimistic as you, but would not be surprised at another 10 or even 20% more of a drop. As a long term investor I'll be buying soon, as I see this whole situation as another buy low opportunity. It might take a year or more, but I am optimistic long term.
First we have to fund the medicine. If we run half a million tests a day, we would have a handle on the epidemic and who needs quarantined by June. It's our only way forward short term. The dumbass politicians haven't figured it out.

Instead of squandering money on bailouts, we should be running tests. How many tests do you think $2 trillion would buy?

Old 04-05-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
First we have to fund the medicine. If we run half a million tests a day, we would have a handle on the epidemic and who needs quarantined by June. It's our only way forward short term. The dumbass politicians haven't figured it out.

Instead of squandering money on bailouts, we should be running tests. How many tests do you think $2 trillion would buy?
We will get there with tests and the $2T. They are not mutually exclusive by any means.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:42 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
We will get there with tests and the $2T. They are not mutually exclusive by any means.
Soon enough for the economy to not be F***ed!?

We needed the tests yesterday. If we keep the country on lockdown until July or August we will see greater than Great Depression levels of unemployment.

My rough estimate is that every week of lockdown will require 2 months worth of recovery. We are starting week 3.

Maybe you guys aren't seeing stuff on the ground but I work with young people & I'm starting to get a picture. The youth unemployment is going to be insane, could get above 50% the longer this goes on. The service sector collapse is going to hit them hardest. There aren't enough DoorDash orders or Amazon warehouse workers to absorb everything that's been lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics