Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 11:17 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times

Advertisements

I want to transfer funds between banks and have been researching, but can't find the answer to the question regarding what the limit might be.

Also, is it safe to transfer between banks online (without doing a wire transfer)?

And is Ally Bank a "safe" bank (have never done anything but brick and mortar before)?

And is there any special problem with the new account being in a trust (they seem to allow that, but don't know if they will need extra docs)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 11:21 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,221 times
Bank transfers between accounts at a single institution are one thing, and can be safely done with an app or web portal.

Transferring funds between banks should use a bank-controlled ACH or wire process, which requires specific customer authorization and staff involvement.

If any online bank or service is allowing automated, portal transfers between banks, I would distrust it.

I also distrust online banks for many reasons. A financial institution is one of the remaining places where you really, really want to be able to walk in a door and talk to a responsible person, however infrequently you might do so. A percent or two on CDs etc. is not worth remoting your money, IMVHO.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:24 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
According to NACHA - the limit is 100K. But your institution may have its own limits.

As for bank safety. Keep in mind banks operate off of what's called a banking core. This is the main system (or a suite of applications/systems) that manages the financial institutions' transactions and data. So whether you are walking into the bank, or using a web browser. You, or the teller are still interfacing with the same system.

Yes - using your web browser means you are going through some additional intermediary systems (your computer, the web, the online banking software, the network software/hardware that handles the transmission, etc.). But the weak link there 99.99% of the time is your own computer/device. And to be honest, some of this may still be the case even if you are standing in front of the teller as the Core is likely not sitting behind the teller, but in a data center across town or even across the country.

Walking into a bank means DRIVING to the bank.... which, statistically speaking, is the most dangerous activity we do daily.

At the end of the day - it's simple bias. One simply has a higher comfort level for one method over the other.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:46 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I want to transfer funds between banks and have been researching, but can't find the answer to the question regarding what the limit might be.

Also, is it safe to transfer between banks online (without doing a wire transfer)?

And is Ally Bank a "safe" bank (have never done anything but brick and mortar before)?

And is there any special problem with the new account being in a trust (they seem to allow that, but don't know if they will need extra docs)?
Ally bank is legit - part of the GM family, used to be called GMAC Bank.

Not sure about the receiving bank needing extra docs per your trust. They might.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
As for bank safety. Keep in mind banks operate off of what's called a banking core. This is the main system (or a suite of applications/systems) that manages the financial institutions' transactions and data. So whether you are walking into the bank, or using a web browser. You, or the teller are still interfacing with the same system.

Yes - using your web browser means you are going through some additional intermediary systems (your computer, the web, the online banking software, the network software/hardware that handles the transmission, etc.). But the weak link there 99.99% of the time is your own computer/device. And to be honest, some of this may still be the case even if you are standing in front of the teller as the Core is likely not sitting behind the teller, but in a data center across town or even across the country.

Walking into a bank means DRIVING to the bank.... which, statistically speaking, is the most dangerous activity we do daily.

At the end of the day - it's simple bias. One simply has a higher comfort level for one method over the other.
This fails to differentiate banks that have B&M branches (and, almost universally, phone and online portals as well) and banks that have nothing but online access. Which, as I read it, is at the heart of the question.

Certainly some savvy and lazy number of us use online banking all we can. But I remain quite leery of a bank that has no other option, no matter how big a megacorp they might be attached to.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:36 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,793,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Ally bank is legit - part of the GM family, used to be called GMAC Bank.

Not sure about the receiving bank needing extra docs per your trust. They might.
As part of GM's bankruptcy, they were forced to give up control of GMAC. I think GM owns 40+% and the rest of the shares are publicly traded.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:38 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,080 times
Yes, I do it all the time.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:38 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,793,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

I have had several CDs with banks that solely on the internet, including Ally. If the bank is FDIC insured, you should not be concerned. I have electronically transferred funds to and from them with my local bank.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:03 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
This fails to differentiate banks that have B&M branches (and, almost universally, phone and online portals as well) and banks that have nothing but online access. Which, as I read it, is at the heart of the question.

Certainly some savvy and lazy number of us use online banking all we can. But I remain quite leery of a bank that has no other option, no matter how big a megacorp they might be attached to.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion/preferences. However, you being leery doesn't mean there is actually anything wrong with online-only banks.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
However, you being leery doesn't mean there is actually anything wrong with online-only banks.
Never said it did. But I have a viewpoint hardened by far too much observation of things that rose up and bit us in the *ss because no one thought they would be a problem.

That is, I don't have the millennial attitude that Online Iz Bestest Cuz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics