U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 11:08 AM

1,681 posts, read 1,533,713 times

Advertisements

They're gonna debate the new round of stimulus probably won't come to an agreement for a couple of months. Might want to gauge how business is doing after the rolling opening of businesses. My guess is most people don't spend enough early on to prevent the government from issuing another round. Might be something closer to $1k a month for 6 months then they'll see after that.

I'm just killing any little debt I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 01:20 PM

11,320 posts, read 15,888,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneThornberg View Post
One of the few things in life to make people comply with this lockdown BS is $$$$. The second wave will depend on how fed up the people become. In my city, the store people were standing close in line, no masks in the grocery stores. I can see this rebellion brewing big time. They may want to influence us with money. Who's going to turn down $2,000 for each of the next six months??? It's starting to look like this is a power play tossing out dollars for appeasement.
Trump may agree to large payouts to people because he thinks he can buy their vote. The two plans on $2000 I saw came from Democrats. If Trump were to influence the republicans into fighting against more funds then the democrats would be looked favorably among voters for trying to get cash to people. Money talks and bull ---- walks.
Both will likely agree on another round and hope the election goes their way as both sides can lay claim to giving the free money.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:33 AM

2,455 posts, read 904,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
They're gonna debate the new round of stimulus probably won't come to an agreement for a couple of months. Might want to gauge how business is doing after the rolling opening of businesses. My guess is most people don't spend enough early on to prevent the government from issuing another round. Might be something closer to $1k a month for 6 months then they'll see after that.

I'm just killing any little debt I have.
I think that you are right. Most that I know (and I) are in a “hunker down” mode cooking their own food instead of getting take-out and it spending money. With so many working from home and being self-employed, many are not driving. In my case, I’m biking more than ever. I don’t qualify for the stimulus and have savings, but have made the conscious decision to save my money as if I were unemployed.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:57 AM

977 posts, read 1,223,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
In my case, I’m biking more than ever.
yay! must be nice without all those cars on the road.

Old 04-26-2020, 03:32 AM

301 posts, read 72,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
oh it is. I too am enjoying this. Makes me want to never return to all the chaos.

Old 04-26-2020, 03:51 AM

977 posts, read 1,223,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneThornberg View Post
oh it is. I too am enjoying this. Makes me want to never return to all the chaos.
yes, it's how I've been wishing things would be for years, though it is a bit eerie when you've been used to noise and traffic your whole life. but I've been especially enjoying the quiet of not having to hear cars coming and going all day at the 4 way stop on the corner.

hopefully an added benefit will be that ppl who hadn't biked, walked, etc., much or at all, due to cars, will do so and want to continue to, thus further reducing cars on the road in the future. hope so.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:10 AM

2,455 posts, read 904,409 times
Quote:
God, you’re not kidding! It is now safe to cross my bike across non-intersection busy streets that are normally not possible without being runned over.

Old 04-26-2020, 03:08 PM

2,735 posts, read 1,178,074 times
Quote:
Around here the traffic is reduced to summer traffic levels. During the summer the college students mostly leave. During the fall and spring semesters traffic is totally awful.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:08 PM

2,599 posts, read 5,273,020 times
Not sure how reliable The Hill is...

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...timulus-checks

Old 04-28-2020, 01:12 PM

11,320 posts, read 15,888,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Not sure how reliable The Hill is...

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...timulus-checks
Seems like it's under discussion. I read last week that Republicans were against it until more time goes by. It would seem that Democrat or Republican both would want to dish out the $ to get votes in November. I'd like to see Paul Ryan or Bernie Sanders or Andrew Yang's plan come to pass. They want $2000 a month for 6 months or until the unemployment rate gets back down to some level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or