U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2020, 08:13 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,095,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
There had damn well better be a second round of stimulus checks. We're doing our part by staying home, and when we have to go out, wearing masks and maintaining a good six feet from other people.
Shell out accordingly!
Well they better "damn" well make sure everyone has the first round before shelling out for the second round. There are a lot of people still waiting, including me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 08:23 AM

11,434 posts, read 16,091,019 times
Quote:
There had damn well better be a second round of stimulus checks. We're doing our part by staying home, and when we have to go out, wearing masks and maintaining a good six feet from other people.
Shell out accordingly!
Here are the various plans I've read about.
a. salaries guaranteed up to $90,000. (that does help those living with poverty wages such as retirees who are not employed)
b. $2000 a month for all adults for up to 12 months or until the pandemic is over.
c. $2000 a month for all adults up to 6 months or until the unemployment numbers are back pre-virus. That would be 60% of workers are back on the job.
d. a one time $2000 payment.
e. some minimum income. Pelosi talked about it. A minimum income would be established and all persons would get that. Example. If they decide $1200 a month minimum income, then anyone making less than that would have a new income or $1200. This idea did not mention stimulus. It sounded like it would be a permanent change.

We can guess which ones would get passed by Congress. I think d. might be the easiest to get approved.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:38 AM

2,773 posts, read 1,006,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Here are the various plans I've read about.
a. salaries guaranteed up to $90,000. (that does help those living with poverty wages such as retirees who are not employed)
b. $2000 a month for all adults for up to 12 months or until the pandemic is over.
c. $2000 a month for all adults up to 6 months or until the unemployment numbers are back pre-virus. That would be 60% of workers are back on the job.
d. a one time $2000 payment.
e. some minimum income. Pelosi talked about it. A minimum income would be established and all persons would get that. Example. If they decide $1200 a month minimum income, then anyone making less than that would have a new income or $1200. This idea did not mention stimulus. It sounded like it would be a permanent change.

We can guess which ones would get passed by Congress. I think d. might be the easiest to get approved.
The problem that I have with these schemes is that the govt leaves people out through their harsh income limits. I am a single self-employed worker and was only allowed to earn $75,000/yr to get this free money. A married person with joint filing non-working spouse is allowed to make $150,000, hence easier to qualify. Why the disparity? I work as hard (or harder) than that working half of the couple and have fixed household costs as well.
I had high earning years in 2018 and 2019 since I was a full-time employee and had extra business income on the side. I left the job in 2019 and am now living on the side income. After net business income from Sched C and other income, I might be at the $75k (borderline) limit yet again. This whole nasty experience has left me really not wanting to put so much effort into working more since it just really doesn't pay. I will most likely receive the $1,200 refundable credit when I file 2020 taxes in 2021 (if I don't put much more effort (more or less "maintain" my business).

The Rep from San Jose (Ro Khanna) is proposing a single income limit of $130k/ (which is probably a homeless person's income in his district, but does help the rest of the less expensive COL areas nonetheless) for the gravy train monthly income proposal. My business is definitely affected from the Corona since my clientele is elderly people. PPP is a joke. Should they do this UBI scheme, though unlikely, I'd hate to be left out yet again while everyone else is flashing their cash in front of my face.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:52 AM

7,801 posts, read 8,973,689 times
I definitely believe we need additional payments but given the general views of Republican elected officials and Trump's obsession with a payroll tax cut (which doesn't do anything to help the 30+ million that have been laid off, also the reality is that I don't foresee us returning to full employment until very late 2020 at the earliest and that's only if we get a vaccine) I doubt we will see any additional payments ... MAYBE if we're really lucky the Democrats will be able to force them to give another $1,200 check but that's a huge maybe.

My preference is for $1,500/month for anyone making under $100,000 ($150,000 for joint filers) for 6 months. I'd also continue the eligibility for non-filers and the $500/month per dependent although I'd like to see college students be eligible as well. I think setting the cap to $75,0000 screwed over alot of people in higher cost of living areas (which no doubt was the intention - Republicans hate New York, California, etc to the core We're just a cash cow for them).

Old 05-05-2020, 11:54 AM

11,434 posts, read 16,091,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I definitely believe we need additional payments but given the general views of Republican elected officials and Trump's obsession with a payroll tax cut (which doesn't do anything to help the 30+ million that have been laid off, also the reality is that I don't foresee us returning to full employment until very late 2020 at the earliest and that's only if we get a vaccine) I doubt we will see any additional payments ... MAYBE if we're really lucky the Democrats will be able to force them to give another $1,200 check but that's a huge maybe.

My preference is for $1,500/month for anyone making under $100,000 ($150,000 for joint filers) for 6 months. I'd also continue the eligibility for non-filers and the $500/month per dependent although I'd like to see college students be eligible as well. I think setting the cap to $75,0000 screwed over alot of people in higher cost of living areas (which no doubt was the intention - Republicans hate New York, California, etc to the core We're just a cash cow for them).
Trump could try to use it as a political tool. He likes to brag so brag away that it was "he" who gave the next stimulus checks to earn votes he may or may not get.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:06 PM

7,801 posts, read 8,973,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Trump could try to use it as a political tool. He likes to brag so brag away that it was "he" who gave the next stimulus checks to earn votes he may or may not get.
IMO the big factor will be what happens in all these Republican leaning states that are reopening (GA, TX, TN, FL, etc). If they see a big spike in COVID-19 cases and Trump's approval tanks in those states then I'd say anything is possible including Trump attempting to one-up the Dems with a $2,000 (or more) a month offer.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:17 PM

6,832 posts, read 4,514,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
IMO the big factor will be what happens in all these Republican leaning states that are reopening (GA, TX, TN, FL, etc). If they see a big spike in COVID-19 cases and Trump's approval tanks in those states then I'd say anything is possible including Trump attempting to one-up the Dems with a $2,000 (or more) a month offer.
LOLOL I would LOVE to see the look on Republicans' faces if Trump did something like that.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:41 PM

1,600 posts, read 763,194 times
Quote:
Shell out accordingly!
and exactly how much do you think performing those activities is worth and why?

Old 05-05-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Well they better "damn" well make sure everyone has the first round before shelling out for the second round. There are a lot of people still waiting, including me.
and what will you do if they don't and you have to wait *gasp* until you file your 2020 tax return to get the refundable credit the stimulus money represents?

Old 05-05-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
The problem that I have with these schemes is that the govt leaves people out through their harsh income limits. I am a single self-employed worker and was only allowed to earn $75,000/yr to get this free money. A married person with joint filing non-working spouse is allowed to make $150,000, hence easier to qualify. Why the disparity? I work as hard (or harder) than that working half of the couple and have fixed household costs as well.
I had high earning years in 2018 and 2019 since I was a full-time employee and had extra business income on the side. I left the job in 2019 and am now living on the side income. After net business income from Sched C and other income, I might be at the $75k (borderline) limit yet again. This whole nasty experience has left me really not wanting to put so much effort into working more since it just really doesn't pay. I will most likely receive the $1,200 refundable credit when I file 2020 taxes in 2021 (if I don't put much more effort (more or less "maintain" my business).

The Rep from San Jose (Ro Khanna) is proposing a single income limit of $130k/ (which is probably a homeless person's income in his district, but does help the rest of the less expensive COL areas nonetheless) for the gravy train monthly income proposal. My business is definitely affected from the Corona since my clientele is elderly people. PPP is a joke. Should they do this UBI scheme, though unlikely, I'd hate to be left out yet again while everyone else is flashing their cash in front of my face.
So you'll cut off earning money once you get to $75,000 so that you can pick up $0.05 for every $1 of earnings you forego? Solid business plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or