U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 03:09 PM

13,672 posts, read 4,011,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The intelligence is that there will be either no vaccine or will be ineffective and that the safeguards have to be put in place permanently to avoid a general lockdown. That's coming down from the government and corporate HQs. The virus spreads very quickly across borders, also making it difficult to have a vaccine ready in time.

They not only need distancing, but change in office layouts so you don't lose an entire department to infections, cross-contaminate other departments, and spread infections from outsiders to employees. Where hallways, elevators, and other common areas are laid out will make a difference.

Nephew works for a virtual company with no HQ and no offices.
I'm repeating what our expert Dr. Fauci has said, you may others who you believe are better.

changing work place layouts may create many new opportunities for design of furniture and design in commercial office space, communications, IT. Untold opportunities spring out of necessity.

Disney Word reopening next week, the list is endless. Cheer up!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 03:17 PM

32,799 posts, read 18,138,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I'm repeating what our expert Dr. Fauci has said, you may others who you believe are better.

changing work place layouts may create many new opportunities for design of furniture and design in commercial office space, communications, IT. Untold opportunities spring out of necessity.

No it is two weeks. Next week is Universal. How many out of state guests will these parks have? Lots of people with money have less to throw around due to furloughs if not layoffs. I love Disney and really hope to go again in June next year, roughly a year after this reopening.

That said I am cautiously optimistic about the vaccine situation. I hope there is one readily available by June 2021.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:26 PM

1,624 posts, read 766,381 times
Quote:

correction - Disney Springs is open now, Magic Kingdom/Animal Kingdom are now scheduled to open July 11, Epcot/Hollywood Studios scheduled to open July 15.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:34 PM

13,672 posts, read 4,011,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No it is two weeks. Next week is Universal. How many out of state guests will these parks have? Lots of people with money have less to throw around due to furloughs if not layoffs. I love Disney and really hope to go again in June next year, roughly a year after this reopening.

That said I am cautiously optimistic about the vaccine situation. I hope there is one readily available by June 2021.
as i said earlier, plenty of naysayers, you fit well in that category. And again, Cheer up!

Old 05-28-2020, 08:45 AM

9,862 posts, read 8,362,402 times
Quote:

I've read companies are putting out restrictions on employees on the premises to keep them in their cubicles.

1. No use of conference or meeting rooms.
2. Limit conferences to 15 minutes, if at all. I think this points to video conferencing since some of the team will be off-premises.
3. Meals delivered to cubicles.
4. Hours may be limited to 3 to 5 hours, and employees are expected to eat off-site.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:09 PM

28,286 posts, read 21,213,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Penney's yes. Small businesses largely are closing due to lack of Payment Protection Plan access. Neiman Marcus was doing meh but Covid-19 pushed them over the edge. Airlines and tourism I can say were not time bombs like Penney's or Marcus. Walt Disney Company sure wasn't. It got hurt from the studios (at least three movies pushed back that should have been out by now) and all of their theme parks closed.

This comment still don't answer about the situation fat question and how can they contribute to the economy. Sure it is reopening, but many workers never got on unemployment and if they got the federal payment, perhaps that was their first payment.

As for reopening. Anyone's guess is as good as anything at this point. I do however disagree with Dr. Fauci on a vaccine. Don't get me wrong some do look promising, they need to pass through the testing process. I'm hopeful but pragmatic.
I know quite a few people here in TN who were laid off in mid/late March, filed for UI, still haven't got anything, and are already back to work.

The delays are ridiculous. Running the $600 through UI instead of a UBI created additional overhead and delays.

Things are going to get ugly in the summer once the $600 top-up ends.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:14 PM

2,497 posts, read 1,302,891 times
What I don’t get is why the federal government didn’t provide relief/assistance to all businesses in the country on the condition that they cannot fire a single employee in the first place? That way most of the 40 million people who lost their jobs since March would still be employed and relief/assistance is only for those unemployed or got laid off due to the pandemic.

Isn’t that a way better system than the present disaster with 40 more million in unemployment?

Old 06-01-2020, 04:52 PM

2,617 posts, read 5,320,054 times
Does anyone know if they have voted on this yet?

Old 06-02-2020, 12:54 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
No they haven't, but it looks like Republicans want a "back to work" bonus instead, which would offer zero dollars to the unemployed. Dems want to see a gradual reduction in UE benefits, tied to UE rate.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/02/here...-benefits.html

Old 06-05-2020, 04:01 AM

24,109 posts, read 16,666,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Senate is long way from voting on anything.

Basically GOP woke up and realized they got snookered into passing what basically smells like UBI, they won't go down that path again unless forced by circumstances.

Republicans are hearing from their base (employers, businesses, etc..) all sorts of grumbles about that $600 extra along with UI is causing some low wage workers to think twice when recalled. That and they cannot get new employees because the out of work are doing quite fine with all that UI/stimulus money. In short people are getting more for staying home than they did for showing up to work.

Of course those grumbling the most are employers who offer jobs that pay relatively low wages; and don't have any plans for bumping that up. To large part of GOP the whole thing smacks of welfare, and we know what Mitch McConnell et al think of that scheme.

All this being said much will depend upon who things roll out by July or so. Congress goes into recess a August, and upon their return everyone and their mother up for reelection will start campaigning in earnest.

If UI nationwide remains at very elevated levels, something will have to be done. Can see an extension of UI, but that extra $600 for another several months until after say Christmas will be a heavy lift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or