U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 11:28 AM

37 posts, read 36,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I hope not, since I am paying for it
You're paying for it, lol! How much exactly did you write the check for? "Our" taxes are paying for it! How often do you complain about the millions our taxes have already paid for golf outings? Yeah, thought so!

You complain about money that is going back to the U.S. citizens who paid into it yet are completely silent with trumps trillions being poured into his billionaire big business cronies so that their bank accounts don't take a hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 01:03 PM

31,254 posts, read 17,641,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCisannoying View Post
There needs to be, a second stimulus check I mean.

I also think they should institute a $2,400 per month Universal Basic Income for at least four months for those Americans who aren't on unemployment benefits and make less than $75k. Since right now unemployment is on steroids but many Americans either don't qualify due to stringent requirements and greedy companies rejecting claims,
I've long said it should have been continuous checks until the crisis is over. Even when the back and forth was about one or two checks. The crisis is seemingly going on for months. Now the WHO is saying infections doesn't mean include immunity and that there are 25-50% are Typhoid Mary's.

Quote:
How many are actually receiving Unemployment Benefits though? Anyone can apply but many claims can, and will, be rejected. So basically only a select few will actually receive the extra $2400 via unemployment. Everyone else gets $1200, if and when it ever gets deposited, and that's it.

Essentially they are pretending to help everyone but are actually giving more money to wealthy owners of corporations and leaving the majority of Americans to fend for themselves high and dry.
Quote:
That is a stringent requirement.

Most jobs in the economy were not even full time jobs they were temporary jobs through agencies. And these agencies laid people off as soon as they saw that you might be able to collect Unemployment benefits citing false reasons or anything they can think of to block a claim. You're living in a fantasy world; these companies do not want you collecting Unemployment Benefits.

And your comment on work search requirements being relaxed is pointless; since that only applies if you're actually already receiving the benefits.
There are a lot of unemployment donut holes. Not just companies who are claiming it was for cause and not due to the economy. There are many that work jobs but haven't been working long enough at the company (my brother would be if he is furloughed or let go and a friend of mine was.) There are some who do not work enough in the quarter (my mother is this.) If you are contracted, you are not (this is the case with school workers like myself, even in summer.) If you recently moved, you may not be covered. Also look at the swamping of the phonelines and computer servers. Part of the reason we see 6 million new cases filed each week is partially from flowover from the previous week and the continuous issues of more and more companies closing.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiber Guy View Post
Federal Government needs to set up a THINK (comprised of genuine common sense political business and political genuis') TANK immediately. We will never become a democratic powerhouse again until we bring all those jobs and all the manufactured goods back to the USA (China is Job #! Culprit). Worldwide Trade is a disaster! China has America by the Ying-Yang look at medicines, China is now threatening UK about no 5G U-turn on Huawei after the pandemic.

We all have a dog in the hunt on this one! MADE IN AMERICA WILL RETURN THE MIDDLE CLASS! STOP ALL TAX BREAKS TO CORPORATIONS AND THE RICHEST INDIVIDUALS! Bill Gates just got the message, he just quit his MS Chairmanship to begin giving BILLIONS for research to bring a COVID-19 vaccine to the marketplace NOW! Money does not buy souls!
Wont happen until Trump is out of office. He is part of the problem, not the solution. Just look at his clothing line. He talked a big game but didn't do much of anything for buy American.

That said, what are your proposals to make America far more appetizing to the business leaders other than stopping tax breaks?

Old 04-14-2020, 06:39 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,767,714 times
Quote:
That is a stringent requirement.

Most jobs in the economy were not even full time jobs they were temporary jobs through agencies. And these agencies laid people off as soon as they saw that you might be able to collect Unemployment benefits citing false reasons or anything they can think of to block a claim. You're living in a fantasy world; these companies do not want you collecting Unemployment Benefits.

And your comment on work search requirements being relaxed is pointless; since that only applies if you're actually already receiving the benefits.

You are writing nonsense.

Qualifying for unemployment is not dependent on working full time; benefits rates are based upon dollars earned, not hours worked.

There are 130 million full time workers in the US; there are less than 30 million part time workers. Of those part time workers most are direct hires and very few are hired through agencies. Most part time workers have permanent jobs where they work fewer than 35 hours per week.

There is no incentive to an employer to attempt to block an unemployment claim; there is no plausible reason to commit fraud in attempting to block unemployment insurance benefits to workers.

What is your purpose in spreading false information?

Old 04-14-2020, 07:04 PM

1,533 posts, read 725,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You are writing nonsense.

Qualifying for unemployment is not dependent on working full time; benefits rates are based upon dollars earned, not hours worked.

There are 130 million full time workers in the US; there are less than 30 million part time workers. Of those part time workers most are direct hires and very few are hired through agencies. Most part time workers have permanent jobs where they work fewer than 35 hours per week.

There is no incentive to an employer to attempt to block an unemployment claim; there is no plausible reason to commit fraud in attempting to block unemployment insurance benefits to workers.

What is your purpose in spreading false information?
Employers do have incentive to deny unemployment benefits to former employees. Those individuals collecting benefits count against the employer’s experience rating and drives the employer’s share of unemployment insurance higher.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:07 PM

4,610 posts, read 8,396,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Thoughts? My expectations are low..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ge/2961683001/
I am all for free money. I hope there will be a second, third, and fourth round of stimulus money. While we are at it, make it forever, so I can just stay home, do nothing, and collect. Dam I wasn't like this two months ago. What happened that turned me into a welfare case like this?

Old 04-14-2020, 07:18 PM

643 posts, read 255,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I am all for free money. I hope there will be a second, third, and fourth round of stimulus money. While we are at it, make it forever, so I can just stay home, do nothing, and collect. Dam I wasn't like this two months ago. What happened that turned me into a welfare case like this?
Hell, if stimulus checks for everyone works during the bad times, why can't we just do it all the time? Just give everyone $10K a month, and kickstart the greatest era of prosperity in the history of the world! And hey, why not print the currency for slavery reparations while we're at it?

Old 04-14-2020, 07:40 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,767,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Employers do have incentive to deny unemployment benefits to former employees. Those individuals collecting benefits count against the employer’s experience rating and drives the employer’s share of unemployment insurance higher.
As noted earlier, the stimulus package includes the proviso that benefits paid as a result of this crisis will not count against the company in the rating system and will have no effect on premiums paid.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:45 PM

12,976 posts, read 3,737,209 times
expect another check a few weeks before the election

Old 04-14-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
expect another check a few weeks before the election
Yes and for many it will be too little too late. Trump would lose if that is the only other stimulus sent out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or