Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 04:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,800,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
73 billion of the 143 billion is first class mail but not overall important the question you asked. I don’t care why you think will happen, what you get in the mail or what you think of it. The truth is a metric ton of stuff is moved everyday by the USPS, delivered to 160million addresses and ups/fedex can’t do that and they don’t want to do that
No they do not because they are profit driven. If it is not profit driven to have rural deliveries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 05:37 PM

26,181 posts, read 21,462,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No they do not because they are profit driven. If it is not profit driven to have rural deliveries.
I’m aware and that’s exactly the point. When people try to compare a for profit company to the USPS it’s a false comparison from the start. That’s well before we go into the details and differences between servicing models and areas

Old 04-16-2020, 05:53 PM

30,000 posts, read 11,586,381 times
Quote:
I don't trust DHL, UPS or Fed-Ex to do what the USPS does let alone with lower prices. Prices will go up for good to cover shipping costs.

I don't know what you mean about trusting them. As it stands now if they screw up others take market share. USPS screws up, nothing happens. And DHL is not much of a player anymore. From what I understand they do more international business. So you just open it up. Allow UPS, Fedex and Amazon take a chunk of the USPS business.

First we have to decide if everything USPS does make sense. Like delivering to all addresses 6 days a week. We could cut that in half. As it stands now there are 3 adults in my house and half the time there is no mail or its only junk mail. My old school mom in her 80's checks her locked mail box once a week because she get almost nothing in the mail. Have locked boxes on each street instead of going to each house. That is already the case in newer subdivisions but why not extend it to everywhere.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:10 PM

26,181 posts, read 21,462,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't know what you mean about trusting them. As it stands now if they screw up others take market share. USPS screws up, nothing happens. And DHL is not much of a player anymore. From what I understand they do more international business. So you just open it up. Allow UPS, Fedex and Amazon take a chunk of the USPS business.
Stop with your nonsense, none of them want to be a part of the USPS business. How do you not understand this? All three actually give business to the USPS because they don’t want to do it themselves. Some how you fail to rationalize this instead of going with your feelings

Quote:
First we have to decide if everything USPS does make sense. Like delivering to all addresses 6 days a week. We could cut that in half. As it stands now there are 3 adults in my house and half the time there is no mail or its only junk mail. My old school mom in her 80's checks her locked mail box once a week because she get almost nothing in the mail. Have locked boxes on each street instead of going to each house. That is already the case in newer subdivisions but why not extend it to everywhere.
You don’t get to the be arbiter. Why don’t you let those who pay for the mail services be the arbiter instead of you personal and entirely irrelevant anecdotes?

Old 04-16-2020, 09:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

These business don't want the USPS business. It isn't profitable to deliver letters, so they don't. USPS prices aren't profitable for these, so they are higher typically. Rural delivery is not profitable, so it will not happen. Fed-Ex, UPS, DHL and Amazon don't want to do the USPS business. I don't know any business that wants to do what USPS does. Why do you continue to think the others want to do what USPS does and will jump in on what they do.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:15 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,122,654 times
Quote:
These business don't want the USPS business. It isn't profitable to deliver letters, so they don't. USPS prices aren't profitable for these, so they are higher typically. Rural delivery is not profitable, so it will not happen. Fed-Ex, UPS, DHL and Amazon don't want to do the USPS business. I don't know any business that wants to do what USPS does. Why do you continue to think the others want to do what USPS does and will jump in on what they do.

They have wanted to deliver letters in the past but wanted to cherry-pick the business, like pick up and deliver large amounts of corporate mail within business centers. But if the mandate is to deliver from any point to any point at a low fixed rate, they want nothing to do with that.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:17 AM

3,791 posts, read 2,267,461 times
USPS is essential. Besides, everyone commenting on here gets their mail. Don't you? Leave the postal service alone instead of complaining about their service, unions, etc.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:19 AM

3,860 posts, read 3,117,185 times
The USPS should change their name to Boeing. That would qualify them for unlimited subsidies, bailouts and immunity from criminal business practices.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:47 AM

3,791 posts, read 2,267,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
The USPS should change their name to Boeing. That would qualify them for unlimited subsidies, bailouts and immunity from criminal business practices.

HA!! This made my day. Kills me people waving pom-poms for private businesses.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:18 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,216,746 times
If the USPS becomes insolvent or gets sold to a private entity, will postage stamps become worthless?

If the USPS cannot makeup its shortfall, will postage rates increase substantially? Is now a good time to buy Forever stamps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics