Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 12:29 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
People that I know that work for USPS, say that they have never been busier. More people are mailing stuff, plus they are doing more Amazon.
I agree. I drop packages at the post office every day. They are booming. Plus their profit now is in shipping Amazon FBM and eBay packages less so with advertising. In fact I still get all the ad mailers I did before. And those saying Amazon pays cheaper rates. Almost all my packages I get from Amazon FMA are shipped and delivered by Amazon. It has nothing to do with USPS.

But its time to get rid of socialized mail delivery. Let Amazon or Fedex buy it and run it like a business instead of a charity for the unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 12:31 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I agree. I drop packages at the post office every day. They are booming. Plus their profit now is in shipping Amazon and eBay packages less so with advertising. In fact I still get all the ad mailers I did before.
They can't depend on Amazon for long as they are also getting in the logistics business.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:04 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Will survive, it is part of Fedgov, no matter if they try to say it is private or not.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:32 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,490,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Vote by mail is a recipe for fraud and conservatives and moderates everywhere should fight this bid by the left. Also once you start voting by mail it will be very easy to see who you just voted for. Right to a secret ballot is gone. And I don't care how they are doing it already in Oregon.

Put on your mask, put on your scarf, get yourself to the polls. If you want to vote at all that is.
I travel for work (well I used to) and if I want to vote, I do so by mail.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:54 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
But its time to get rid of socialized mail delivery. Let Amazon or Fedex buy it and run it like a business instead of a charity for the unions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
They can't depend on Amazon for long as they are also getting in the logistics business.
You guys clearly don’t understand mail delivery and the logistics business. Neither Amazon nor Fedex or fill in the blank with any other name wants to take over the role that the USPS fills. There is a reason why UPS/Fedex/DHL and even Amazon all turn over packages to the USPS to deliver. The last mile of delivery is one of the most time consuming and costly endeavors. Not a single company wants to take the role over period

Old 04-12-2020, 02:06 PM

255 posts, read 69,253 times
Nailed it!!!!

Old 04-12-2020, 07:24 PM

155 posts, read 165,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You guys clearly don’t understand mail delivery and the logistics business. Neither Amazon nor Fedex or fill in the blank with any other name wants to take over the role that the USPS fills. There is a reason why UPS/Fedex/DHL and even Amazon all turn over packages to the USPS to deliver. The last mile of delivery is one of the most time consuming and costly endeavors. Not a single company wants to take the role over period
While I agree with the first statement, the whole thing about UPS/FedEx/DHL turning over packages for final delivery is the cost, with USPS offering the better price allowing, for example, for UPS to offer "UPS Mail Innovations" service where UPS moves packages to local post offices for route delivery. Same with FedEx and others. UPS will not turn over for last mile delivery a UPS Express or Ground package.

The thing is no one wants the public service obligations that USPS has. UPS can say "We will not deliver to XYZ, AK", the most USPS can say "We cannot guarantee 2 day express service to XYZ, AK". USPS can not lower service below certain levels, it has to maintain Post Offices open to public.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximpnyc View Post
While I agree with the first statement, the whole thing about UPS/FedEx/DHL turning over packages for final delivery is the cost, with USPS offering the better price allowing, for example, for UPS to offer "UPS Mail Innovations" service where UPS moves packages to local post offices for route delivery. Same with FedEx and others. UPS will not turn over for last mile delivery a UPS Express or Ground package.

The thing is no one wants the public service obligations that USPS has. UPS can say "We will not deliver to XYZ, AK", the most USPS can say "We cannot guarantee 2 day express service to XYZ, AK". USPS can not lower service below certain levels, it has to maintain Post Offices open to public.
Yep. This is the problem I see. The public sector will find some sort of hole and it won't be feasible to do. Take an area like northern Arizona. They might need you to go to the UPS distribution center in Flagstaff, regardless of whether you live there or not.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:35 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
check the price to send a christmas card with FEDEX or UPS and get back to me...........
Lose the USPS and FedEx, UPS and other private carriers are in a world of hurt. They - along with Amazon - rely heavily on USPS to finish their jobs.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:38 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don’t think that the private companies would want to deliver to rural areas that are probably not as profitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics