U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 06:45 AM

375 posts, read 231,679 times

Advertisements

From what I've read if you filed a tax return but did not have direct deposit this year (have in the past) BUT your Social Security check is direct deposit you will receive your stimulus payment by direct deposit. Correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 08:50 AM

453 posts, read 116,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
They're sending payments to (1) all taxpayers that qualify that have filed in 2018 or 2019, or (2) Social Security recipients or Railroad retirees that aren't included in group (1).
If somehow you don't make it into these 2 categories and you qualify for a payment, you can still get the money by filing a 2020 tax return and claiming the refundable credit.
My 22 year old is disabled and lives at home (autism) and draws a monthly SS check via direct deposit. He is claimed as a dependent obviously.

So he would count as any "normal" child or does he get his own $1200? He works limited hours at a job that amounts to about $120 per month. That's his only income outside of his SS check and his total yearly income is like $11k.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:50 AM

1,533 posts, read 726,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
From what I've read if you filed a tax return but did not have direct deposit this year (have in the past) BUT your Social Security check is direct deposit you will receive your stimulus payment by direct deposit. Correct?
That is my understanding, yes.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
My 22 year old is disabled and lives at home (autism) and draws a monthly SS check via direct deposit. He is claimed as a dependent obviously.

So he would count as any "normal" child or does he get his own $1200? He works limited hours at a job that amounts to about $120 per month. That's his only income outside of his SS check and his total yearly income is like $11k.
I'm not positive but I believe the answer is no he won't get his own $1,200 as he's claimed as a dependent on your return. If it's close (whether or not you provide half of his support), maybe you could not claim him as a dependent this year and then he would get the credit on his 2020 tax return.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:03 PM

5,841 posts, read 9,386,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post

Here is one explanation:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...hecks-n1177266

See para titled "Disabled people whose parents support them

"

Old 04-11-2020, 12:29 PM

29,156 posts, read 35,571,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I think they start sending the money out on the 13th. You know people that got theirs already?
My nephew got his over a week ago.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:09 PM

453 posts, read 116,022 times
Quote:
I'm not positive but I believe the answer is no he won't get his own $1,200 as he's claimed as a dependent on your return. If it's close (whether or not you provide half of his support), maybe you could not claim him as a dependent this year and then he would get the credit on his 2020 tax return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Here is one explanation:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...hecks-n1177266

See para titled "Disabled people whose parents support them

"
That confirms what I kinda suspected and that is he won't be getting one and we won't be getting a child credit even though he's getting the same support now at 22 that he was getting when he was under 17 which is 100%. It is what it is.

The wife and I are both working our essential jobs thru this COVID-19 crisis so not getting a check on his behalf isn't a huge deal. As for next year continuing to claim him as a dependent is the better option.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-11-2020, 01:20 PM

2,738 posts, read 1,180,015 times
Quote:
Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info Here
If you don’t file taxes, use the "Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info Here" application to provide simple information so you can get your payment.

You should use this application if:

You did not file a 2018 or 2019 federal income tax return because your gross income was under $12,200 ($24,400 for married couples). This includes people who had no income. Or
You weren’t required to file a 2018 or 2019 federal income tax return for other reasons
If you receive these benefits, we already have your information and you will receive $1,200. Do not use this application if you receive:

Social Security retirement benefits
Social Security Disability Insurance benefits
Railroad Retirement and Survivor Benefits
Special note: People in these groups who have qualifying children under age 17 can use this application to claim the $500 payment per child.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-...ment-info-here
Thank you for the link! I filled it out. Got a message saying I would know whether or not the IRS rejected or accepted it within 48 hours. I hope they accept it. It'd be like a miracle for me. I don't have any income at all and don't qualify for any financial assistance other than Medicaid and food stamps. I've been worried how I'll pay rent and other bills.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:06 PM

1,715 posts, read 1,135,408 times
[quote=elizabeth224;57815763]From what I've read if you filed a tax return but did not have direct deposit this year (have in the past) BUT your Social Security check is direct deposit you will receive your stimulus payment by direct deposit. Correct?[/QUOT

I was wondering the same thing, cause i always have them mail my refund from my taxes.
But since i rec've my SS check in the mail, i figured they'd see my direct deposit w/that and
go ahead and mail my stimulus check. Fingers crossed!

Looks like SuiteLiving is confirming that...

Old 04-11-2020, 03:21 PM

[quote=fresnochili;57819072]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
From what I've read if you filed a tax return but did not have direct deposit this year (have in the past) BUT your Social Security check is direct deposit you will receive your stimulus payment by direct deposit. Correct?[/QUOT

I was wondering the same thing, cause i always have them mail my refund from my taxes.
But since i rec've my SS check in the mail, i figured they'd see my direct deposit w/that and
go ahead and mail my stimulus check. Fingers crossed!

Looks like SuiteLiving is confirming that...
Your post isn't entirely clear. If you're saying that you received paper check tax refunds and paper checks from SS, you won't be getting a direct deposit unless you go to the new web site and enter your banking information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or