Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2020, 04:02 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times

Advertisements

Now I'm perhaps an old-fashioned guy, but if I say I have $100, it's because I have that amount, not a fraction of it. So regarding the ethics of fractional reserve banking, can somebody defend it, and make an argument as to how it's not just one big scam to create fictitious wealth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 04:34 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Now I'm perhaps an old-fashioned guy, but if I say I have $100, it's because I have that amount, not a fraction of it. So regarding the ethics of fractional reserve banking, can somebody defend it, and make an argument as to how it's not just one big scam to create fictitious wealth?
Easy. Before fractional reserve banking economies were horrible for a lot of related reasons. Chiefly effective money supplies were always too low.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:51 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,343 times
Quote:
Limited money supply - literally not having enough dollars at any one time in the economy but high demand is what makes them valuable and store value. If the money supply was super constricted (by removing fractional reserve banking), it would even be more valuable to the point nobody would have enough money to do anything with - economic growth would be a fantasy.

It's not to say it's "fictitious wealth" but rather - money and it's supply is the way the Federal Reserve uses to control value in the economy. That's why they set inflation targets by influencing the supply of money through monetary policy.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:37 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Why defend it, when functionally it hasn't existed since the 2008 crash?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...land-austerity

Loans create deposits. Banks no longer need your money to lend.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:42 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Can Somebody Defend Fractional Reserve Banking?
Of course they can. But that sort of binary Yes:No or Good:Bad approach misses the real question-- Scale.
The real Q: How much beyond 'reality' we can/will allow the 'fiction' to expand?
Then you can get into the piling up of unsecured debt and those scale issues.

Having these financial tools (like our own VISA cards) is almost always good for us.
Well, so long as we don't abuse it -- which we definitely have.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:58 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Depends on how fractional reserve banking is implemented. Currently is implemented such that small percentage of population enriches themselves far beyond what the rest of the population is able to, utilizing same system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics