Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 06:11 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times

Advertisements

In Easter Lettter, the Pope suggests a Universal Basic Wage to World Leaders

Not the first time Universal Basic Wage has been raised but the Pope mentions this in his Easter letter to world leaders.

We have to bear in mind that this money does not disappear when it gets given out but goes into the economy and people spend it at local stores and supermarkets. It helps the economy, and even money placed in the bank means the bank spends it by lending or investing in homes, shops and offices. A true UBW would ensure everyone had enough to live a basic life free of personal economic concerns.

Unfortunately, I do not think those who want to control the population will agree to this, as it reduces their hold on people.

Source 1
Source 2

Quote:
In an Easter letter to world leaders, Pope Francis opined that “this may be the time to consider a universal basic wage which would acknowledge and dignify the noble, essential tasks you carry out.”

“It would ensure and concretely achieve the ideal, at once so human and so Christian, of no worker without rights,” the Pope argued.

In the letter, Francis argued that many workers, including “street vendors, recyclers, carnies, small farmers, construction workers, dressmakers, the different kinds of caregivers” were being “excluded from the benefits of globalization,” while “the lockdowns are becoming unbearable.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 06:58 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,878 times
And another pebble votes...

Old 04-13-2020, 07:44 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,779,432 times
When the Catholic Church starts paying taxes it can chime in on these matters.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
There will come a time when all the factories are run by robots and a lot of the white collar jobs have gone to AI and roboadvisors where universal basic income will be needed to keep societies stable. We are several decades from that point but it's not a bad idea to talk about it now and make plans for such things way down the road even if it's counterproductive to implement them at the current time.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:07 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Unfortunately, I do not think those who want to control the population will agree to this, as it reduces their hold on people.
UBI is inevitable. Increasing robotics, automation and productivity will allow to them produce all the goods we need with a lot less labor. Unemployed people without incomes can't buy the products the wealthy class produce, so you end up with excess widgets and a shortage of demand. So eventually the wealthy class will want UBI payments to stimulate demand for goods and services that they produce. You can't get wealthy and stay wealthy unless you have consumers with money to spend.

UBI will happen not because the wealthy class suddenly feel sorry for the "little people" -- it'll happen when they realize it's needed to keep sales, revenue and profits up, and that putting free money in people's pockets will make the upper elite wealthier.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:11 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Frankly I think the Pope should stick to religion and stay out of politics. This Pope seems to get into politics a lot.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:15 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
When the Catholic Church starts paying taxes it can chime in on these matters.
^^^THIS. Require the Vatican to support UBI for all of Italy. Lets see how long commie-Pope continues to support this foolishness.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:26 PM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
UBI is inevitable. Increasing robotics, automation and productivity will allow to them produce all the goods we need with a lot less labor. Unemployed people without incomes can't buy the products the wealthy class produce, so you end up with excess widgets and a shortage of demand. So eventually the wealthy class will want UBI payments to stimulate demand for goods and services that they produce. You can't get wealthy and stay wealthy unless you have consumers with money to spend.

UBI will happen not because the wealthy class suddenly feel sorry for the "little people" -- it'll happen when they realize it's needed to keep sales, revenue and profits up, and that putting free money in people's pockets will make the upper elite wealthier.
Agreed.

I don't see how you avoid it. I work for a large organization that furloughed a lot of people. When I look under my director, the people who were furloughed were either very new or clearly the weakest on their teams.

My manager furloughed our weakest link. This person was also laid off from her two most previous jobs. She's not a bad person and she's not incompetent, but she's nowhere near the most skilled and has no social skills. As all this was going on, she would tell our manager in morning meetings that she had little to do. Even if I had little to do, I would keep talking and even making stuff up. When someone admits they have little going on and layoffs are happening, who is going to get one?

She's 55 with health issues. She's supposed to be recalled from the furlough, but our manager has had me and another senior analyst take on the few bigger things she had. The new person is taking on the smaller projects while we mentor her. Even if she comes back, there's nothing for her to do.

She's a great UBI candidate.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:47 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
She's a great UBI candidate.
Well, if UBI was yet another form of selective welfare, yeah, I guess.

The U is pretty important part of it.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:52 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
In Easter Lettter, the Pope suggests a Universal Basic Wage to World Leaders

Not the first time Universal Basic Wage has been raised but the Pope mentions this in his Easter letter to world leaders.

We have to bear in mind that this money does not disappear when it gets given out but goes into the economy and people spend it at local stores and supermarkets. It helps the economy, and even money placed in the bank means the bank spends it by lending or investing in homes, shops and offices. A true UBW would ensure everyone had enough to live a basic life free of personal economic concerns.

Source 1
Source 2
Sure thing, we can pay for it by taxing the Catholic Church at the corporate rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics