U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 03:29 PM

80,258 posts, read 78,608,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Most small towns I know of aren't dying, they just aren't rapidly growing. Most have stable populations. Only Mississippi River delta and former Appalachian coal mining counties / towns are loosing enough population to be considered dying. Cities have extremes of income, the richest and poorest people live there. Rural areas tend to be overwhelmingly middle class with few on either extreme. They have jobs in farming and local govt / healthcare that are quite stable during recessions.

When cost of living was more similar across the USA it was more apples to apples comparison to talk about ciites having far more job opportunities. But with a starter home in the largest metro areas going for 500k to over 1 million even the extra income you'd make by living there leaves you no better off than making $12 an hour in a small town.
Metro areas like here In nyc offer coop apartments for those on the lower end of things. All our kids started off buyers by coops before they could afford homes Us too we bought a coop back in the 1980s before we could afford a home I can say my own growth potential was far greater here then where we had a second home in the poconos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:45 PM

27,631 posts, read 20,628,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Most small towns I know of aren't dying, they just aren't rapidly growing. Most have stable populations. Only Mississippi River delta and former Appalachian coal mining counties / towns are loosing enough population to be considered dying. Cities have extremes of income, the richest and poorest people live there. Rural areas tend to be overwhelmingly middle class with few on either extreme. They have jobs in farming and local govt / healthcare that are quite stable during recessions.

When cost of living was more similar across the USA it was more apples to apples comparison to talk about ciites having far more job opportunities. But with a starter home in the largest metro areas going for 500k to over 1 million even the extra income you'd make by living there leaves you no better off than making $12 an hour in a small town.
In many cases, those small towns and rural areas that do have the government/healthcare employment base often have lower wages, even adjusted for the local cost of living.

If I'm making $35k here vs. $60k in Charlotte for the same job, and my cost of living only goes up by 20%, I'm better off in Charlotte. That's not even mentioning that small towns may only have a place or two for a p professional to work at. If something happens to that job, you are moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or