U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2020, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
6,383 posts, read 4,326,658 times
Reputation: 11068

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Small town America was not in good shape before COVID-19 arrived.

The whole Coronavirus crisis from an economic standpoint has wiped out the weak first. Weak companies were already doing layoffs during the February 15 - March 15 time frame.

It wouldn't be surprising if Coronavirus wiped out something already in a precarious position before it arrived.
The thing is, the lockdowns are killing businesses that were doing the best they ever had just 6 weeks ago. My wife's work, and indeed the whole town, were not long ago talking about their best revenues ever and hiring more people. Now they are boarded up, shut down as if a war just happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2020, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Midwest
4,845 posts, read 7,626,839 times
Reputation: 8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
There's no evolution that can adapt to everything being closed. If you read the article, you'd see that the town in question (Bristol, NH) did adapt and try to leverage what resources it had to the best of its ability. Mine has done the same thing. We have beautiful nature here, and so invested in tourism.

Now those resources have been rendered worthless, because all we do is sit at home.
It is not the small town that has somehow failed. It's the leadership quote unquote who have failed. Governors, mayors, presidents, sitting in their offices and making pronouncements on who shall live, who shall die. By that I mean, who is "unnecessary" and who is "necessary."

The small business that was created out of nothing is necessary. The income that pays the bills is necessary.

I don't recall hearing of ONE mayor, governor, legislator, or staff member of any of those people volunteering to do without a paycheck until the peasants have been allowed to get out and about. Making a living, stuff like that.

Trump already goes without a paycheck, he said from the beginning he'd donate it.

For governors like Whitmer and DeWine and all the others who universally decided who gets to live and who doesn't, why are they still collecting? A true leader, on the date of saying "You can no longer run your state-licensed, legal, tax-paying business, shut your doors," should stop his paycheck, all his staff's salary, all the legislature's salary, all the legislative staff salary, and the state supreme court pay, ditto their staff.

You sit in your castle and make pronouncements, and you pay zero price whatsover, that is a tryrant. It is not a leader, it is not an executive.

The death toll from this will be like a bad flu season, possibly a little worse if there had been no distancing and lockdowns.

But telling citizens they cannot do this, that what the Fuhrer says is verboten is "unnecessary," is a tinhorn dictatorship. No matter how you justify it.

The downstream fallout from this unconstitutional takeover will be far more damaging than the death and illness toll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2020, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
5,993 posts, read 7,197,666 times
Reputation: 11443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post

The downstream fallout from this unconstitutional takeover will be far more damaging than the death and illness toll.
This is *not* an "unconstitutional takeover", it is a drastic action that is necessary to hold the death toll to tens or hundreds of thousands. If we did not do this, it is quite likely that the death toll would be in the tens of millions. Is that what you would rather see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2020, 02:36 PM
 
1,963 posts, read 503,478 times
Reputation: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
This is *not* an "unconstitutional takeover", it is a drastic action that is necessary to hold the death toll to tens or hundreds of thousands. If we did not do this, it is quite likely that the death toll would be in the tens of millions. Is that what you would rather see?
I remain gobsmack-boggled at how the forces of the right can marshal their base to rise up in wrath and opposition to practices that are to their benefit, but stand in the way of the the financial elite's accumulation of wealth.

I wonder if it will end before they have the lemmings blowing their brains out to fertilize the flower beds... because Freedom! and screw liberals who don't like flowers, y'know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2020, 12:13 AM
 
16,969 posts, read 4,611,645 times
Reputation: 10666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
It is not the small town that has somehow failed. It's the leadership quote unquote who have failed. Governors, mayors, presidents, sitting in their offices and making pronouncements on who shall live, who shall die. By that I mean, who is "unnecessary" and who is "necessary."

The small business that was created out of nothing is necessary. The income that pays the bills is necessary.

I don't recall hearing of ONE mayor, governor, legislator, or staff member of any of those people volunteering to do without a paycheck until the peasants have been allowed to get out and about. Making a living, stuff like that.

Trump already goes without a paycheck, he said from the beginning he'd donate it.

For governors like Whitmer and DeWine and all the others who universally decided who gets to live and who doesn't, why are they still collecting? A true leader, on the date of saying "You can no longer run your state-licensed, legal, tax-paying business, shut your doors," should stop his paycheck, all his staff's salary, all the legislature's salary, all the legislative staff salary, and the state supreme court pay, ditto their staff.

You sit in your castle and make pronouncements, and you pay zero price whatsover, that is a tryrant. It is not a leader, it is not an executive.

The death toll from this will be like a bad flu season, possibly a little worse if there had been no distancing and lockdowns.

But telling citizens they cannot do this, that what the Fuhrer says is verboten is "unnecessary," is a tinhorn dictatorship. No matter how you justify it.

The downstream fallout from this unconstitutional takeover will be far more damaging than the death and illness toll.
Trump going without a paycheck for being president is a little misleading though...He is still bringing in revenue, due to the fact he is the president, his companies receive HUGE amounts of money from the taxpayers, who pay anytime Trump travels, and his whole entourage racks up the tab at his properties...if fact, he is probably making MORE this way, than the paycheck he would have received as president!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2020, 12:16 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,210 posts, read 43,000,650 times
Reputation: 27995
What a bizarre article / composition (extremism)
Dawna Shackley invested her life savings last year to open a graphic design and printing shop, Newfound Impressions. Business was going well, allowing her to hire her first employee in January.

Now sales have shriveled, from about $20,000 a month before the crisis to just $1,500 in March. Ms. Shackley fired her employee. Her last two printing jobs were both related to the virus: 6,000 brochures about good hygiene for a hospital, and a few banners for the town with information about the crisis.
Ms Shackley should not be a small 'business-owner' You don't FIRE an employee because you do not have work for them to do... only one person lives to scream 'You're Fired'!, they should never be an employer either... very sad...

Everyone is hurting (many physically and financially) many are dying (record numbers daily in USA).

Want to make a difference? Cough up the millions of missing Covid-19 test kits, as we will need a LOT of them to keep alive.


1) 3,300 is not a very small town (my hometown was <10% of that. I can't even think of a town in that region big enough to have a stoplight (even 60 yrs later))
2) Tourism is discretionary spending and many businesses go 'belly up' quickly. (YOUR 'good idea' may not be what the market is looking for)
3) Many tourist towns have been through serious tragedies and 'came-back. (wiped out from floods, fires. hurricanes...)
4) ONE factory / major employer (Europe ownership) makes for a very imperiled future. (I'd be moving on if I was employed there as sole income.
5) There are many pressures on Small Town COMMERCE. Amazon, Walmart, and Costco take much business and commerce from small businesses. Better be GREAT at what you do and offer, and have a very loyal clientele. (and you will still be hurting...

I do international and rural USA economic development (as a volunteer). Nothing new for them to be hurting, and on the brink of disaster. Many will depart, using Covid-19 as an excuse for their blatant and previous failures and bad business planning and execution. Many small businesses will get tanked due to Covid-19 and related apprehension of buying. (in big cites and small). I expect the small towns to weather this storm far better than LARGE cities (as we see at the moment... 540 Covid-19 deaths in NYC in ONE DAY... down from 700+ / day (more than double my small town)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2020, 02:41 AM
 
Location: Was Midvalley Oregon; Now Eastside Seattle area
6,282 posts, read 2,794,889 times
Reputation: 4635
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The thing is, the lockdowns are killing businesses that were doing the best they ever had just 6 weeks ago. My wife's work, and indeed the whole town, were not long ago talking about their best revenues ever and hiring more people. Now they are boarded up, shut down as if a war just happened.
I've adopted a new phrase from another thread:
"All Roads Are Dead Ends"
JMO
It really doesn't matter too much. Since the end result will be dead end. Shelter-in-place will flatten the curve of peak hospitalizations and thus fewer deaths because the medical establishment can manage the influx better, but the problem still will exist. It's a dead end but a managed dead end.

A loosening of sheltering-in-place, may create multiple peaks and waves of illnesses. Business which open will close because owners will get sick, customers will get sick, and they will lose money because being opened for business does not guarantee you a profit. Being open will however guarantee a loss if there isn't enough margin, capitalization, customers. It is a road to a dead end.

An open, partial shutdown will probably have peak hospitalizations, seniors will still self-isolate and some will get sick, economy will still be badly damaged, because the once healthy will get sick after attending a ballgame, a coffee date, a concert, a picnic. And you have extended the illness out a few more months assuming there is a renewed effort of social-distancing. You also destroyed a couple of businesses because the owner got sick, and his customers got sick, or he didnt have enough resources to take him through low customer counts.
It's a road to a dead end.

Absolute Power DJT, will have a hugely greater chance of getting bigly sick from CoVId19, because people around him will be go out and do stuff that is contaminated by others who also believed in opening up society. That is a road to a dead end, too.
Remember this is JMO.
YMMV, ARADE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2020, 04:23 AM
 
3,069 posts, read 2,455,531 times
Reputation: 7687
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Trump going without a paycheck for being president is a little misleading though...He is still bringing in revenue, due to the fact he is the president, his companies receive HUGE amounts of money from the taxpayers, who pay anytime Trump travels, and his whole entourage racks up the tab at his properties...if fact, he is probably making MORE this way, than the paycheck he would have received as president!
Bullseye !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2020, 04:30 AM
 
Location: Texas
2,372 posts, read 1,607,387 times
Reputation: 7925
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Trump going without a paycheck for being president is a little misleading though...He is still bringing in revenue, due to the fact he is the president, his companies receive HUGE amounts of money from the taxpayers, who pay anytime Trump travels, and his whole entourage racks up the tab at his properties...if fact, he is probably making MORE this way, than the paycheck he would have received as president!
LMAO, Trump charged taxpayers nearly $500,000 for Secret Service stays as high as $650 a night: report

The president has falsely claimed taxpayers save lots of money because the Secret Service stays at his hotels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2020, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
27,594 posts, read 20,591,792 times
Reputation: 33426
To me, the big problem for most small towns is that many only have one or two quality employers, if that. If those places layoff or close, there aren't many options.

The CSA here has about 450,000 people in it. There are two major employers - a regional health system and an F500 chemical company. Many other businesses pay far less than these and have fewer employers. Government, trades, education, and professions like attorneys that are needed everywhere are an option, but if those corporate jobs go away, people will have to move off, and that's going to be the death knell for smaller areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top