Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 02:15 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Right, because nobody ever stole anything from a mailbox.
I have a locking, armored mailbox that my mother gave me for a birthday present when I was still living in the city. I'm way out in the county now (and not one of the nicest parts of the county, but substantially better than where I had been before*) and still use it.

If they're really going to go to the trouble of breaking two Medeco and Abus locks just for a tax refund and maybe a PUD and Commielink bill then they obviously need it more than I do. Can't do a hell of a lot with a paper check. People can cause all sorts of shoot with your finances and your life if they get access to your bank account.

Nice try though.

* Worst thing I usually have to deal with out here is the whacked-out redneck neighbor making a scene once or twice a month. Which, I guess, is preferrable to living in meth-lab street-gang grand-theft-auto near-ghetto central Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 03:13 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
Dumped all 3400 of it it straight into a "high-yield" (2%) savings account, where it will stay until the recession/depression has collapsed the housing market.

Well, unless the bank fails. Hopefully congress will allocate more funds to keep the FDIC insurance solvent.

...on second thought, maybe I'll put together a few accounts with the big boys and be ready to ETF the money over when things start looking hairy for the financial industry.

Oh, I did think about spending $30 of it on a new-to-him craigslist bike for my kid, but I repaired the old one for free, so... nope.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Dumped all 3400 of it it straight into a "high-yield" (2%) savings account, where it will stay until the recession/depression has collapsed the housing market.

Well, unless the bank fails. Hopefully congress will allocate more funds to keep the FDIC insurance solvent.

...on second thought, maybe I'll put together a few accounts with the big boys and be ready to ETF the money over when things start looking hairy for the financial industry.

Oh, I did think about spending $30 of it on a new-to-him craigslist bike for my kid, but I repaired the old one for free, so... nope.
Wow, 2% only? I can make 2% just flipping a few things easily. Funny how there is more money being made now than in February.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:59 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Wow, 2% only? I can make 2% just flipping a few things easily. Funny how there is more money being made now than in February.
I'm risk-averse. Just need an insured place to park it for a few more months. I won't get into etf's or property until it is a sure thing, like I did (property) in 2010. I expect it is going to be a sure thing again in 2021/22/23, at least around here as all the no-equity AirBnB LLC's go belly-up and walk away this summer. Oh, and unemployment, and debt bubble unwind, etc.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:33 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
I got mine, and I just filed 2019, paper, federal taxes.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:35 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
Stimulus payment? Time to head to the liquor store, brothel and gas station to buy thousands of lottery tickets

Old 04-17-2020, 10:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Stimulus payment? Time to head to the liquor store, brothel and gas station to buy thousands of lottery tickets
now that is a good idea. I just wish we had ours but even though we file our taxes we do not pay anything but we do get our SS checks DD so if I understand it correctly SS recipients checks will dump next week.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:31 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
I have a locking, armored mailbox that my mother gave me for a birthday present when I was still living in the city. I'm way out in the county now (and not one of the nicest parts of the county, but substantially better than where I had been before*) and still use it.

If they're really going to go to the trouble of breaking two Medeco and Abus locks just for a tax refund and maybe a PUD and Commielink bill then they obviously need it more than I do. Can't do a hell of a lot with a paper check. People can cause all sorts of shoot with your finances and your life if they get access to your bank account.

Nice try though.

* Worst thing I usually have to deal with out here is the whacked-out redneck neighbor making a scene once or twice a month. Which, I guess, is preferrable to living in meth-lab street-gang grand-theft-auto near-ghetto central Vancouver.
I've been to Vancouver; you're right, it's a hell hole. But isn't it in Canada? Are we sending them money too?

Old 04-17-2020, 11:38 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Wink Double Dip ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
now that is a good idea. I just wish we had ours but even though we file our taxes we do not pay anything but we do get our SS checks DD so if I understand it correctly SS recipients checks will dump next week.
What are the chances that those of us who have already received a DD based on tax return info, will also get a DD based on our Soc Sec benefit ?

As the comic Judy Tenuta would say "Hey, it could happen"

Surely the IRS will filter out any such thing, but based on their performance so far, don't be surprised.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:15 PM

313 posts, read 218,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I've been to Vancouver; you're right, it's a hell hole. But isn't it in Canada? Are we sending them money too?
They're getting monies too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics