Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 08:05 AM

589 posts, read 300,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
so if you're not eligible for unemployment and you have no earnings, what do you live on?
Bare minimum. For the past couple years, rainy day fund. Now that the thunderstorm fund is gone and is still storming, from my permanent rainy day fund, that will go to zero when I need it in couple decades from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 08:16 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,550,658 times
Our showed up this morning. Oddly enough it is dated Monday, though I didn’t see it posted on Monday. In any case it has arrived with the correct amount anticipated.

We filed jointly, and owed in 2018. We have not filed 2019 taxes yet. We used TurboTax.

Good luck, folks.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:31 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,781,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
Bare minimum. For the past couple years, rainy day fund. Now that the thunderstorm fund is gone and is still storming, from my permanent rainy day fund, that will go to zero when I need it in couple decades from now.
sounds like you should have been looking for a job not more government money

Old 05-06-2020, 08:53 AM

589 posts, read 300,063 times
Quote:
It may be difficult for you to comprehend but just because one has no earnings, doesn't mean the effort to obtain one wasn't there. It also doesn't mean one is looking for government handout. Thus the long rainy day fund.

Definitely not looking for a handout from government but most of stimulus money is going to big corps from this stimulus bill, and if the government is giving these big corps a handout then I rather have most of it come back to taxpayers, is all I'm saying about the stimulus check.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
It may be difficult for you to comprehend but just because one has no earnings, doesn't mean the effort to obtain one wasn't there. It also doesn't mean one is looking for government handout. Thus the long rainy day fund.

Definitely not looking for a handout from government but most of stimulus money is going to big corps from this stimulus bill, and if the government is giving these big corps a handout then I rather have most of it come back to taxpayers, is all I'm saying about the stimulus check.
The stimulus money going to businesses isn't going to big corps, it's going to SMBs for the PPP program. Airlines got loans, not handouts.

Stimulus money was not meant to deal with social safety net issues, which is more of what you're talking about. That's why no one had to prove they were disadvantaged by the pandemic in order to receive it. It was ll bout just getting money out to stir demand for products and services.

The social safety net was addressed, in part by the enhanced unemployment benefits, moratorium of evictions, moratorium on foreclosures. The job market was about as good as it gets the last couple of years so it seemed reasonable to focus the efforts there, at least to start.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:27 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Ours arrived by mail even though we have SS direct deposited.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:28 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,198,393 times
Quote:
Sh*t happens, and smugness is no vaccine against it. Verb. sap. (for certain definitions of sapience).

Old 05-07-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Sh*t happens, and smugness is no vaccine against it. Verb. sap. (for certain definitions of sapience).
thanks for your input, I value it so much

Old 05-07-2020, 05:04 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Ours arrived by mail even though we have SS direct deposited.
I feel like I am one of the very few who hasn't gotten anything, including a date on the site. Today has not been a very good day for me overall and the daily routine disappointments just didn't help. They have had my information since 4/24. We also have our SS direct deposited and filed our 2019 taxes on 4/24 and had the refund a week later. No rhyme nor reason as to how they are doing this. We, as a couple, are well under the cut-off for a single person, so on the low end of the range when they send checks.

So glad you got yours as I know you had been having problems with the site.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:42 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,286,950 times
I'm happy to report that my paper stimulus check WAS forwarded by USPS to my temporary address and I finally have it in my paws. There was much speculation that they would not forward it, and I did not expect to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics