Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 06:30 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times

Advertisements

We paid in last year and haven't filed yet this year, so I'm expecting that we'll get a check. When I tried to confirm that, the system told me that they can't determine whether we're eligible. I tried under my SSN and also my husband's... and they didn't even ask what our payment for last year was or anything else. Just SSN, street address, and zip code.

I assume it's a glitch in the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 07:22 PM

841 posts, read 552,712 times
What I have heard matches what some of you are saying - they can only use the bank account info if it was provided as an account you wanted them to deposit money into. If you had to pay in money, they do not consider that as having your bank information.

As for the OP, I am not sure how no longer having the account your refund was sent to in 2018 and just recently filing will affect things. Seems to me like they probably didn't have your 2019 return processed when this first started, so the different banking thing may complicate things. (Not as in you won't get it - but as in yours could end up being one of the ones they have to reprocess.)

Old 04-15-2020, 07:33 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
FWIW.. Apparently the site only updates once a day. So, if you get the 'cannot be determined' message.. You'll get it all day.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:40 PM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
I got that message too. I only did the nonfilers form on Saturday though, so I'm probably way behind in the queue.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:51 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
Still the same message. I'll just be patient because I see it's a "generic error."

Old 04-16-2020, 05:10 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
I would suggest doing nothing.
You have paid taxes, and the IRS knows who you are.
You'll probably get a paper check, and in any event, it's "found money".

Old 04-16-2020, 05:42 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
That's true - "found money" that I'm grateful for. It'll go straight to saving, $100 for investing.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:57 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Hi everyone,

My friends, cousins and parents have all received their stimulus money today. I have not. I went onto the IRS website, checked the portal and it told me "according to the information we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility at this time." Uh, what?

I'm 30 and still live at home. I work two jobs, one full-time job and one part-time job. I make $34,000/year combined without taxes taken out ($21,000 after). I filed my 2019 taxes two weeks ago and my refund was deposited into my bank account yesterday ($65).

I am not a dependent, I filed individually. My student loans are paid on time, although I deferred one. I looked it up and my school loans shouldn't affect anything under CARES. I filed through Turbo Tax and Turbo Tax is stating I should get a stimulus check.

What the heck is going on?
Same issue for hub and I too late yesterday afternoon. I just tried it now, same message

Here is the link if anyone needs it

Economic Impact Payments

Old 04-16-2020, 06:52 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Same issue for hub and I too late yesterday afternoon. I just tried it now, same message

Here is the link if anyone needs it

Economic Impact Payments
Same here:

"Payment status not available. According to the information we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time."

Reminds me of Obamacare!

Old 04-16-2020, 07:04 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
This is happening to a lot of people, me included. We filed taxes last year and attached our checking account info to pay them, so they have our info there. We both receive SS, so they have our direct deposit info there. Our 2 person household income is way less than the limit for a single person so we definitely qualify there. But, again, I get the same error message. I believe that the system is just overwhelmed with the millions of inquiries that it can't look anything up so instead of just spinning it is throwing out this error message. One would have thought that the feds would haven't learned something from the online fiasco that was the ACA the first year, but apparently not. I just hope it doesn't turn into a giant cluster before this is all done.

Our bank's online system was actually down for a bit this morning and I was hoping that they were getting a bunch of deposits and couldn't keep up. When I finally got it I see that my SS check is pending but no stimulus. We shall see.
If they have your direct deposit info to PAY them, that doesn't count. You have to go to the website and enter your direct deposit information for them to transfer money INTO your account. I went in and did it before the system started having the problems it is now. So keep trying and make sure your direct deposit information is entered.

Our income was unusually high last year because I took my pension as a lump sum. So we qualify for some, but probably less than $100. If I had waited to file 2019 taxes and they went by 2018, we would have gotten the full amount of the stimulus. But too late; they have 2019 on file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics