Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 10:47 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My friends, cousins and parents have all received their stimulus money today. I have not. I went onto the IRS website, checked the portal and it told me "according to the information we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility at this time." Uh, what?

I'm 30 and still live at home. I work two jobs, one full-time job and one part-time job. I make $34,000/year combined without taxes taken out ($21,000 after). I filed my 2019 taxes two weeks ago and my refund was deposited into my bank account yesterday ($65).

I am not a dependent, I filed individually. My student loans are paid on time, although I deferred one. I looked it up and my school loans shouldn't affect anything under CARES. I filed through Turbo Tax and Turbo Tax is stating I should get a stimulus check.

What the heck is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 10:57 AM

552 posts, read 223,000 times
I am a self employed, single adult taxpayer who is in full compliance with the IRS.

I finally got thru on the new online portal to check my status for receiving the check.

I kept getting an error message claiming they do not have me on file.

I think this new tool is a big fat failure. I do not have my stimulus check either.

Btw, ^^^ original poster jessxwrites89 I see online via FB that others have
gotten the same message as you.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:00 AM

Tyler, I think you're right. Hopefully, soon...

Old 04-15-2020, 11:22 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times
This is happening to a lot of people, me included. We filed taxes last year and attached our checking account info to pay them, so they have our info there. We both receive SS, so they have our direct deposit info there. Our 2 person household income is way less than the limit for a single person so we definitely qualify there. But, again, I get the same error message. I believe that the system is just overwhelmed with the millions of inquiries that it can't look anything up so instead of just spinning it is throwing out this error message. One would have thought that the feds would haven't learned something from the online fiasco that was the ACA the first year, but apparently not. I just hope it doesn't turn into a giant cluster before this is all done.

Our bank's online system was actually down for a bit this morning and I was hoping that they were getting a bunch of deposits and couldn't keep up. When I finally got it I see that my SS check is pending but no stimulus. We shall see.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:33 AM

Rothbear, one of my bank accounts has been down since this morning (which I attached to my taxes), but I haven't checked the other. It seems like today is just a cluster of activity for the Feds and banks!

Old 04-15-2020, 11:34 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
If you don’t enter your address, adjusted gross income, or what refund you receive/owed for 2019 correctly, then the IRS portal may not work.

I filed my 2019 taxes through turbo tax so I had all the IRS information I needed when I logged into the IRS website to submit my bank info.

But yes, the IRS is a complete joke if you are off by even 1 digit.

Last edited by Rocko20; 04-15-2020 at 12:46 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 11:34 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,902 times
Same message I get. I filed in 2018 and 2019. Owed taxes both years so IRS should have my direct deposit information

Old 04-15-2020, 12:03 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Hi everyone,

My friends, cousins and parents have all received their stimulus money today. I have not. I went onto the IRS website, checked the portal and it told me "according to the information we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility at this time." Uh, what?

I'm 30 and still live at home. I work two jobs, one full-time job and one part-time job. I make $34,000/year combined without taxes taken out ($21,000 after). I filed my 2019 taxes two weeks ago and my refund was deposited into my bank account yesterday ($65).

I am not a dependent, I filed individually. My student loans are paid on time, although I deferred one. I looked it up and my school loans shouldn't affect anything under CARES. I filed through Turbo Tax and Turbo Tax is stating I should get a stimulus check.

If you filed just 2 weeks ago, the IRS may have had to go by your 2018 return. Depends on when they ran the program to check on 2019 returns. Your return would have had to have been filed & reviewed by the IRS, probably.

You'll get the check. Not everyone is getting auto deposit on one day, I think.

If they go by your 2018 return, is the auto deposit account the same? (did you get a refund in 2018?)

I didn't get a refund in 2018, so my check will come by snail mail, probably.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:34 PM

I did get a refund in 2018, however, I since deleted that bank account. I have two new banks and put one of them on my return from 2019. I will probably get a paper check too.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:43 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Hi everyone,

You are being impatient. My son has not gotten his either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics