U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-03-2020, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
27,652 posts, read 20,640,898 times
Reputation: 33503

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Walk me through how one recovers from a virus. I guess I'm just not smart enough to understand. Perhaps you can explain it to me.

Does the virus just die? Does it move on? Or does your body develop anti-bodies to fight it off? If it does what would one call that? How can the body "cure" itself of a virus if not via anti-bodies that can fight it off? And.....how does immunity work, if not via the body's ability to fight off a virus?

By default the virus either kills the host or one develops anti-bodies to fight it off. By fighting off the virus you've achieved immunity. Now whether or not that immunity is long lived is a different question similar to the flu. But that's a different question all together.
We don't have information to know if, for how long, or how strong any immunity might be after recovering.

With that said, I don't believe these indefinite stay-at-home orders accomplish much. Originally, the purpose was to flatten the curve. For the most part, they have done so.

To me, the big thing is that most of the Republican governors are willing to give people the option to open up and do things. If you want to stay home, continue to do so. Many of the coastal states are remaining locked down indefinitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2020, 09:34 PM
 
8,977 posts, read 4,793,956 times
Reputation: 19259
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
It is not..but ok. The very fact that you developed antibodies to fight off that specific virus strand is evidence of temporary immunity or you would not have killed the virus.

I'm still having trouble understanding your entire point here. Let's say you're right and there is no way to achieve immunity from this. Then a vaccine is not possible, so this is our new reality forever. At that point does it matter whether Sweden's method works or not because eventually it will be everyone's method. I doubt we continue to live like we're living today forever.
An antibody is what gets rid of the infection; immunity is what keeps you from getting it in the first place, it does not kill an existing virus. A vaccine is an artificial immunity, that's why vaccination and immunization are used interchangeably. In many cases antibodies result in immunity, at least temporarily but that is not yet know about the current coronavirus.

It's not my point, it is science; I'm sure there is a website out there that can help you understand it better. I do think that until you understand the mechanisms involved you should refrain from passing judgement on things like herd immunity which is better used to describe the actions in measles, for instance, where 95% of children are vaccinated so the virus is unable to get a foothold in the community from which to spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 12:19 AM
 
28,019 posts, read 19,819,908 times
Reputation: 49264
Here is a case of a woman who recovered, tested negative twice, and a month later is re-infected and hospitalized. We just don’t know enough about this virus yet to conclude that antibodies make any long-term difference.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/woman-...er-recovering/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 12:31 AM
 
4,927 posts, read 5,104,886 times
Reputation: 4233
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
An antibody is what gets rid of the infection; immunity is what keeps you from getting it in the first place, it does not kill an existing virus. A vaccine is an artificial immunity, that's why vaccination and immunization are used interchangeably. In many cases antibodies result in immunity, at least temporarily but that is not yet know about the current coronavirus.

It's not my point, it is science; I'm sure there is a website out there that can help you understand it better. I do think that until you understand the mechanisms involved you should refrain from passing judgement on things like herd immunity which is better used to describe the actions in measles, for instance, where 95% of children are vaccinated so the virus is unable to get a foothold in the community from which to spread.
You failed to answer the question again. What's your point?

You are saying immunity is not possible. Thus, a vaccine is not possible. So the discussion on whether or not what Sweden is doing is better is irrelevant because unless this is now our new normal until the end of time it's only a matter of time until we're all Sweden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 03:38 AM
 
1,806 posts, read 406,603 times
Reputation: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Here is a case of a woman who recovered, tested negative twice, and a month later is re-infected and hospitalized. We just don’t know enough about this virus yet to conclude that antibodies make any long-term difference.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/woman-...er-recovering/
Did you read the article?

Quote:
Despite many similar reports of reinfections, primarily in South Korea, and the World Health Organization (WHO) saying last month that there was no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected against a second infection, the consensus among most experts is that these reports are due to problems with coronavirus tests.
Coronavirus 'reinfections' were false positives, says WHO technical lead
https://www.theguardian.com/world/vi...cal-lead-video

No evidence of coronavirus reinfections, South Korean researchers say

South Korea’s infectious disease experts said Thursday reports of coronavirus reinfection were likely testing errors.

https://thehill.com/changing-america...fections-south
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 06:07 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
552 posts, read 400,536 times
Reputation: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
You failed to answer the question again. What's your point?

You are saying immunity is not possible. Thus, a vaccine is not possible. So the discussion on whether or not what Sweden is doing is better is irrelevant because unless this is now our new normal until the end of time it's only a matter of time until we're all Sweden.
Bingo! I have been making this point to people who claim there is no evidence that people develop anti-bodies to Covid-19. I then ask, why even shoot for a vaccine??? Vaccines inject dead viruses into your body for it to recognize the invader, fight it off, and develop some sort of timeframe of immunity. Most viruses work this way except for HIV which mutates so rapidly the body cannot become immune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 08:00 AM
 
28,019 posts, read 19,819,908 times
Reputation: 49264
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Did you read the article?



Coronavirus 'reinfections' were false positives, says WHO technical lead
https://www.theguardian.com/world/vi...cal-lead-video

No evidence of coronavirus reinfections, South Korean researchers say

South Korea’s infectious disease experts said Thursday reports of coronavirus reinfection were likely testing errors.

https://thehill.com/changing-america...fections-south
Again the conclusion reached though should be we just don’t know enough yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 08:15 AM
 
4,927 posts, read 5,104,886 times
Reputation: 4233
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Bingo! I have been making this point to people who claim there is no evidence that people develop anti-bodies to Covid-19. I then ask, why even shoot for a vaccine??? Vaccines inject dead viruses into your body for it to recognize the invader, fight it off, and develop some sort of timeframe of immunity. Most viruses work this way except for HIV which mutates so rapidly the body cannot become immune.
So what you're saying is people develop anti-bodies by fighting off a virus either through real infection and/or the injection of that modified virus via dead fragments or a weakened version and the development of these anti-bodies is what leads to at least some form of temporary immunity? Hmmm? Perhaps Koko can explain how you're wrong.

I guess this article by nature discussing how vaccines provide immunity is wrong: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01221-y

If one develops immunity via a virus by building anti-bodies to destroy a weakened version of the virus or an inactivated virus I'm having trouble understanding how one wouldn't develop the same anti-bodies via fighting off the live virus. But, perhaps there's something about anti-bodies that comes from destroying the weakened or inactivated virus that creates superior anti-bodies....and thus at least temporary immunity from that same strain of the virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 08:15 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
30,243 posts, read 66,805,265 times
Reputation: 35751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again the conclusion reached though should be we just don’t know enough yet.
Indeed. And as with most threads this sort of basic obviousness is usually made clear by the end of the first page of responces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 08:20 AM
 
4,927 posts, read 5,104,886 times
Reputation: 4233
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Indeed. And as with most threads this sort of basic obviousness is usually made clear by the end of the first page of responces.
Yup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top