U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2020, 01:06 PM
 
28,082 posts, read 19,829,973 times
Reputation: 49309

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
These people will come up with anything to keep us in lockdown:
  1. Block hydrochloroquine and chloroquine;
  2. Shame doctors who propose using hydrochloroquine and chloroquine;
  3. Put impossible or time-consuming hurdles in the way of developing a vaccine;
  4. Oppose any loosening, indeed publish the public for wanting any socialization or fun.
I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist but the people pushing this panic have a vice-grip on the media and public officials.

Who shamed doctors for using hydroxychlroquine? It was being used and studied by many doctors mostly at Universities but it didn't have good results. If it was political, that wouldn't stop other countries from using it, but they are not. The studies were halted because many of the test subjects were dying from fatal heart problems attributed to the drug. The last study that was halted due to that was in Brazil. This is not a U.S. thing where you can claim it's political.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2020, 01:07 PM
 
28,082 posts, read 19,829,973 times
Reputation: 49309
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
You can say the same for the flu too. Flu vaccines don't provide complete immunity. Only the potential for temporary immunity.

Because the strain changes every season, and they have to guess which strain to put in that season's vaccine. I hope that doesn't happen with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 01:37 PM
 
9,643 posts, read 10,259,083 times
Reputation: 8461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Who shamed doctors for using hydroxychlroquine? It was being used and studied by many doctors mostly at Universities but it didn't have good results. If it was political, that wouldn't stop other countries from using it, but they are not. The studies were halted because many of the test subjects were dying from fatal heart problems attributed to the drug. The last study that was halted due to that was in Brazil. This is not a U.S. thing where you can claim it's political.
tagged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 04:45 PM
 
Location: New York Area
19,838 posts, read 7,789,854 times
Reputation: 14953
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Who shamed doctors for using hydroxychlroquine? It was being used and studied by many doctors mostly at Universities but it didn't have good results. If it was political, that wouldn't stop other countries from using it, but they are not. The studies were halted because many of the test subjects were dying from fatal heart problems attributed to the drug. The last study that was halted due to that was in Brazil. This is not a U.S. thing where you can claim it's political.
I cannot reveal the source but a professional (not a doctor but an allied professional) says that it is in frequent use and gets mixed but mostly good results. Sorry I cannot tell you more but you can be sure, if you or anyone else gave me confidential information in a DM I would not reveal it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
tagged
What in G-d's name does that mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 04:56 PM
 
1,457 posts, read 428,945 times
Reputation: 3715
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I cannot reveal the source but a professional (not a doctor but an allied professional) says that it is in frequent use and gets mixed but mostly good results. Sorry I cannot tell you more but you can be sure, if you or anyone else gave me confidential information in a DM I would not reveal it.What in G-d's name does that mean?
No offense, we don't need you to reveal the source. We have actual doctors and medical health professionals (not your hidden un-doctor) who have said that hydroxychloroquine does nothing--in actual field tests. And it is a drug that has horrific side effects.

Additionally, cute, that you've chosen to move along from the question that you've repeatedly asked but refused to answer repeatedly on these forums: the President has set up a reopening plan, 14 days of falling infections. No where has met that. How is this some crazy conspiracy?

I'll again expect crickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 06:01 PM
 
8,982 posts, read 4,798,060 times
Reputation: 19287
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
You failed to answer the question again. What's your point?

You are saying immunity is not possible. Thus, a vaccine is not possible. So the discussion on whether or not what Sweden is doing is better is irrelevant because unless this is now our new normal until the end of time it's only a matter of time until we're all Sweden.
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

I am not saying immunity is not possible; if that was true there would be no purpose for all those labs to be working on vaccines. Successful vaccines provide immunity, at least for a certain period of time.

Sweden is only in the conversation here because some have claimed procedures there were somehow superior to those of nations promoting distancing and isolation. The numbers available today show that is incorrect both medically and economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
553 posts, read 401,670 times
Reputation: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

I am not saying immunity is not possible; if that was true there would be no purpose for all those labs to be working on vaccines. Successful vaccines provide immunity, at least for a certain period of time.

Sweden is only in the conversation here because some have claimed procedures there were somehow superior to those of nations promoting distancing and isolation. The numbers available today show that is incorrect both medically and economically.
False. Sweden has fared significantly better, economically, compared to its Western neighbors, including the United States. Sweden’s rate of infection is not much higher than other nations with significant lockdown measures. Even the WHO is suggesting we all should have followed Sweden’s model. Not sure what you have against evidence that we can mitigate the virus without destroying the economy. You must still have a job? Must be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 07:16 PM
 
8,982 posts, read 4,798,060 times
Reputation: 19287
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
False. Sweden has fared significantly better, economically, compared to its Western neighbors, including the United States. Sweden’s rate of infection is not much higher than other nations with significant lockdown measures. Even the WHO is suggesting we all should have followed Sweden’s model. Not sure what you have against evidence that we can mitigate the virus without destroying the economy. You must still have a job? Must be nice.
Support your contention that Sweden has fared better economically than its Scandinavian neighbors unless you believe that comparing similar countries is not valid. I have earlier linked to information that it has not.

I have nothing at all against evidence - I thrive on it. Do you have any to support your claim that "we can mitigate the virus without destroying the economy?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 08:09 PM
 
9,643 posts, read 10,259,083 times
Reputation: 8461
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I cannot reveal the source but a professional (not a doctor but an allied professional) says that it is in frequent use and gets mixed but mostly good results. Sorry I cannot tell you more but you can be sure, if you or anyone else gave me confidential information in a DM I would not reveal it.What in G-d's name does that mean?
1. My son is a doctor who has been knee deep in all this in NYC for much of the last month. He's taken chloroquine as a preventative himself - so have a good number of other medpros.

1.1. He'd agree with you source. Apparently dosing is very tricky but if given early and with other care he says it works often.

2. Tagged............is just a post holder so I can find the post later and respond in some detail, nothing sinister. No ratting to the mods. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Camberville
12,816 posts, read 17,696,887 times
Reputation: 21682
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I cannot reveal the source but a professional (not a doctor but an allied professional) says that it is in frequent use and gets mixed but mostly good results. Sorry I cannot tell you more but you can be sure, if you or anyone else gave me confidential information in a DM I would not reveal it.

Oh, well your non-doctor, non-researcher source has mixed anecdotal experience. Guess we should listen to your unnamed source and not multiple research studies!


Oy vey.



People around the world are searching frantically for any viable treatment. If it worked, do you really think that scientists in Germany, Korea, Australia, the UK, and the US all would refuse the drug to screw Trump? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top