U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 04:13 AM

554 posts, read 402,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Support your contention that Sweden has fared better economically than its Scandinavian neighbors unless you believe that comparing similar countries is not valid. I have earlier linked to information that it has not.

I have nothing at all against evidence - I thrive on it. Do you have any to support your claim that "we can mitigate the virus without destroying the economy?"
A CNBC article is not evidence. But if we’re using articles, here’s my link:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...ns%3f_amp=true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 06:03 AM

19,851 posts, read 7,796,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
No offense, we don't need you to reveal the source. We have actual doctors and medical health professionals (not your hidden un-doctor) who have said that hydroxychloroquine does nothing--in actual field tests. And it is a drug that has horrific side effects.

Additionally, cute, that you've chosen to move along from the question that you've repeatedly asked but refused to answer repeatedly on these forums: the President has set up a reopening plan, 14 days of falling infections. No where has met that. How is this some crazy conspiracy?

I'll again expect crickets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Oh, well your non-doctor, non-researcher source has mixed anecdotal experience. Guess we should listen to your unnamed source and not multiple research studies!
You won't get crickets. EDS_'s explanation should be some help. I think that the doctors in the trenches are using it; just keeping below the media's rather withering firing line. And I will research your point about the President's reopening plan; I doubt you have any use for him anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. My son is a doctor who has been knee deep in all this in NYC for much of the last month. He's taken chloroquine as a preventative himself - so have a good number of other medpros.

1.1. He'd agree with you source. Apparently dosing is very tricky but if given early and with other care he says it works often.
Thanks. And I'm going to use this to respond to another post.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:06 PM

8,986 posts, read 4,802,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
A CNBC article is not evidence. But if we’re using articles, here’s my link:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...ns%3f_amp=true
Your article does nothing to support the position that Sweden has fared better economically and asserts that Sweden's death toll is higher than that of its neighbors. Perhaps you should read beyond the limited claim in the title.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:13 PM

554 posts, read 402,139 times
Quote:
Your article does nothing to support the position that Sweden has fared better economically and asserts that Sweden's death toll is higher than that of its neighbors. Perhaps you should read beyond the limited claim in the title.
Clearly you cannot read either. I already stated once that I agreed Sweden's death toll is higher, BARELY, than it's neighbors. The article provided evidence that the World Health Organization, allegedly the "Gold Standard" in infectious disease prevention in the world, stating that the Sweden model was recommended.

For some reason you hate to admit that we can mitigate the infection while also saving our economy. In most people's minds, that is good news, but for "nutty" people, apparently not.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ving-effective

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/...y-the-economy/

https://fee.org/articles/sweden-s-to...esponsibility/

Old 05-05-2020, 01:57 PM

4,930 posts, read 5,107,050 times
Found some interesting stats from my state today:

- ~3% of positive cases needed hospitalization to this point
- 6.3% of 55k tests have been positive
- Average age of those that died has been 74
- 87% of those that died have been 60 or older.
- 17% of those that tested positive have been 65 or older.
- ~ 50% of positive tests have been people younger than 45.
- So, 6% of deaths have been from people younger than 45, while 50% of positive tests have been from that same age group. Meanwhile, 75% of deaths have been from people 65 or older, while only accounting for 17% of positive tests.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Clearly you cannot read either. I already stated once that I agreed Sweden's death toll is higher, BARELY, than it's neighbors. The article provided evidence that the World Health Organization, allegedly the "Gold Standard" in infectious disease prevention in the world, stating that the Sweden model was recommended.

For some reason you hate to admit that we can mitigate the infection while also saving our economy. In most people's minds, that is good news, but for "nutty" people, apparently not.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ving-effective

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/...y-the-economy/

https://fee.org/articles/sweden-s-to...esponsibility/
Read it again. My comment to you said nothing about your view of the death rate anywhere. I did point out that there has been no economic benefit to the Swedish approach.

I would also add that Sweden's leading epidemiologist is not sure that his limited restriction plan was for the better.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...ht-call-2020-5

I have never stated we cannot mitigate the spread of the virus while saving our economy but until we get the virus under control we will continue to make things worse for the economy by prematurely easing restrictions. If those meat plants had taken steps to mitigate by increasing distancing and disinfecting within their own facilities they may have had to deal with reduced throughput but would still be operational.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post

- So, 6% of deaths have been from people younger than 45, while 50% of positive tests have been from that same age group. Meanwhile, 75% of deaths have been from people 65 or older, while only accounting for 17% of positive tests.
Is this a case for the expendability of the aged?

Old 05-05-2020, 02:25 PM

4,930 posts, read 5,107,050 times
Quote:
Is this a case for the expendability of the aged?
It's simply the data from my state. It's clearly much more serious for those 65+ than for younger people thus older people should be much more concerned. So hopefully you stay safe.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:42 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,346,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post

Pretty similar pattern as what came out of Italy. Same pattern also tracks with regular flu, but obviously less across the board.

Corona is like a super-villain version of flu.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:27 PM

9,943 posts, read 8,619,504 times
The OP's opinion is "too early to tell" give it another week or two. Besides, summer is not flu season. Flu and colds normally decline once summer comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or