U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 03:55 PM

65 posts, read 16,435 times

Advertisements

No. Here in Texas it was the cities that took it upon themselves to "lock down".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 04:30 PM

6,904 posts, read 3,114,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
@Micea, P#56
"Every road you take leads to the same dead end."
I like your phrase.

Every Governor and Absolute Power DJT, gambled on the path to take. And "Every road you take leads to the same dead end." What is unknown is the journey in that path-unknown consequences even though the we know the road taken is a dead end.

See, I thought it was a bunch of vacuous word salad tarted up to sound profound. Different approaches applied to different conditions will yield markedly different results. When the book is written on this, we'll likely find that some governors and mayors developed highly effective responses while others did not. Don't believe me? Just look at the widely divergent death rates in various cities during the Spanish Flu. When it's all said and done, it will be interesting to compare approaches and results to develop a model for future outbreaks.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 04-17-2020 at 05:42 PM..

Old 04-17-2020, 05:36 PM

31,297 posts, read 17,653,904 times
I point to the Sioux Falls, SD Smithfield plant for the red state failures in regards to response to Covid-19. The SD governor did not declare a stay-at-home order. As much as I knock Ducey for an order with not enough teeth, he did more than Gov. Noem.
Arizona I cannot blame on Ducey though I am rather not enthused of his handling of the virus. Arizona especially Maricopa housed the first few weeks of baseball spring training and a lot of people who attended a game or was at a place where people who went to the game, got sick. The Navajo reservation has a flare up but that is a culture problem. I know from going up there once. I cannot blame Ducey on it for now. If he reopens the state too fast though, I will.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:53 PM

823 posts, read 358,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I point to the Sioux Falls, SD Smithfield plant for the red state failures in regards to response to Covid-19. The SD governor did not declare a stay-at-home order. As much as I knock Ducey for an order with not enough teeth, he did more than Gov. Noem.
What makes you think that a "stay at home" order would have made any difference in the Smithfield meat processing plant? Do you think we should stop our food production and distribution chain? Would you rather starve to death than risk being exposed to coronavirus?

It's reasonable to think that the owners/managers of the Smithfield plant should have taken greater precautions to help protect their workers, but to think that a "stay at home" order would be the proper response for workers at a food processing plant that provides food for millions of Americans is absurd. Should hospital workers have to "stay at home" too? Maybe we ought to tell the grocery stores and drug stores to shut down too. Get real.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:26 PM

11,576 posts, read 4,698,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
No.

California 23 deaths per 1 mil
Indiana 66
Florida 31
Georgia 57
Louisiana 237

Florida's death toll is probably under-reported because many nursing homes won't report COVID deaths because they have policies preventing the release of patient medical information (and they have an incentive to not report for marketing reasons, plus fear of liability).

New York, NJ and Conn are all bad because infected Europeans came in through the international airports before the distancing orders came into effect. The important lesson here is that distancing is most effective before the cat is out of the bag.

Texas has a strong stay-at-home order but the governor doesn't use that label. They've done well to hold it at 13 deaths per million. They are getting ready to lift the order soon, which could be a serious mistake if it results in the virus running wild in cities like Houston or Dallas.

Red State....Indiana
Governor closed schools for the remaining school year at the end of March. He also put in a place a stay at-home order quickly. He has been very proactive! Area's with large population here such as Indianapolis and NW Indiana (near Chicago) are getting hit hard.

The numbers are much less than predicted BECAUSE of the stay at-home orders and people listening. Had States not done it, there would have been more deaths. I'm afraid that if we re-open to soon we will see a surge again.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
What makes you think that a "stay at home" order would have made any difference in the Smithfield meat processing plant? Do you think we should stop our food production and distribution chain? Would you rather starve to death than risk being exposed to coronavirus?

It's reasonable to think that the owners/managers of the Smithfield plant should have taken greater precautions to help protect their workers, but to think that a "stay at home" order would be the proper response for workers at a food processing plant that provides food for millions of Americans is absurd. Should hospital workers have to "stay at home" too? Maybe we ought to tell the grocery stores and drug stores to shut down too. Get real.
I am referring to the first Covid-19 patient for the Sioux Falls Smithfield plant as patient O. We don't know when patient O got it. Perhaps it could have been reduced due to the stay at home order if one was in place. What we do know is now 600 workers are sick with patient O. Dozens are now dead.

The supply chain issue is being covered by the news now. Many plants are getting smacked around in a way they haven't had since Upton Sinclair mentioned with The Jungle a century ago. What's more important lives of workers or the supply chain?

As for what you are saying for stay at home, is idiotic. Hospital workers many are using RVs, empty hotel rooms, rentals, etc. to not get family sick. Many will continue for weeks after the curve is on the downslope. We cannot shutdown hospitals despite how woefully underprepared our POTUS left us.
Drug stores are the same. They have to treat people who are still recovering at home and those who are otherwise sick.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:28 PM

8,741 posts, read 2,428,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsangel2 View Post
You're reading the numbers wrong. The 4/16 numbers are not the total cases, it's the number of NEW cases. Oklahoma last week had 826 new cases, this week had 766 new cases, for a total of 1592 new cases in the last two weeks. These are big spikes.
Not at all true. I added the daily cases up myself from:

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

The 7 days ending on 4/9 had 826 new cases for those 7 days. The 7 days ending yesterday on 4/16 had 766 new cases. Even if you look at the chart and daily cases last week was higher than this week. You don't add two weeks together and then compare them one week, the week of 4/9. That is ridiculous.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 04-17-2020 at 07:36 PM..

Old 04-17-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

South Dakota resisted a lock-down, and because it did, it now leads its region in cases per capita, with the number of cases and deaths rising.
So....how smart was it to resist the lock-down?

The meat plant in South Dakota is a Critical Infrastructure Job Plant. A stay at home order would NOT have affected its operations and the outbreak would have happened there regardless. Obviously the issue is the plant did not use social distancing in its operations. If you feel the need to blame anyone, blame the plant.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The meat plant in South Dakota is a Critical Infrastructure Job Plant. A stay at home order would NOT have affected its operations and the outbreak would have happened there regardless. Obviously the issue is the plant did not use social distancing in its operations. If you feel the need to blame anyone, blame the plant.
No but depending on when patient O got sick, maybe the stay-at-home order would have prevented patient O from getting sick. Patient O is the reason why the plant got shut down. Even with no social distancing, if patient O didn't get sick from however, 600 people would not get sick, dozens wouldn't have died. That's not obsolving Smithfield, but I cannot say they are the sole blame here. It would be one thing if the virus was not known about. It has been known in America for about two months now.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No but depending on when patient O got sick, maybe the stay-at-home order would have prevented patient O from getting sick. Patient O is the reason why the plant got shut down. Even with no social distancing, if patient O didn't get sick from however, 600 people would not get sick, dozens wouldn't have died. That's not obsolving Smithfield, but I cannot say they are the sole blame here. It would be one thing if the virus was not known about. It has been known in America for about two months now.

I don't know all the details. But people who work in essential businesses have to go to work. That is anywhere in the country. So not sure a stay at home order would have mattered. If this person was going to work with the virus before they knew they were sick and infecting others. Well I am not sure how you prevent this. If they went to work when they knew they were sick, that is not good. How patent zero got it is the question. It could have been management visiting from headquarters elsewhere or any number of ways.

We can close down all food plants so that then we will have major food shortages. That is not an option. My guess is Smithfield probably did not do the best job at social distancing their employees. The state had guidelines that people were suppose to follow. With the amount of cases I can't imagine that was being followed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or