Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 06:54 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Wait--

Yet you want to declare that the death totals are 'lower than predicted'?

Of course because the predictions have been revised downward. Don't take my word, take what Dr. Fauci said:

Dr. Fauci: 'Possible' that millions could die in US

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/vira...us/vp-BB11dCJn

He said millions could die if we did nothing to stop the virus.

Fauci Estimates That 100,000 To 200,000 Americans Could Die From The Coronavirus

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...he-coronavirus

March 29th he said 100,000 to 200,000 could die with the action we were taking.

Fauci: US death toll 'looks more like 60,000' than 100-200K estimate

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-200k-estimate

Then two weeks later he revised his numbers much lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Well, you're doing some mighty heavy shoveling here, a guy on a ten thousand acre ranch IS ALREADY distancing himself..When he goes to town though--- that ten thousand acres isn't going to factor one damn bit, is it?

Of course it will. Unless going to town means he is going to NYC. He is going to a town where lots of people social distance like himself because of low population density and large tracks of land. Should the town in Montana suffer financially like NYC just because the dopes in DC think that a one size fits all approach is best?

Old 04-16-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post

But really not seeing what red or blue has to do with it. Virginia is democrat, Ohio republican - same actions, same results.

Yes there are red and blue states that did similar lock downs. But the states that resisted at first like Arizona, Oklahoma and the states without any formal lock down are all with red governors. And that was the topic of this thread.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:29 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post

Don't know, why don't you go start your own thread and stop trying to hijack this one.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:37 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
^19 ...subject to being arrested
Just where do the police think they will put the perp? A jail?
Practical terms, Absolute Power DJT or the local mayor, have very little 'power' to restrict movement and ptp contact with out the implicit compliance of the people.
That's the big question right now.

All of the TN state parks are now closed indefinitely. I went to a state park that is mostly backcountry a week or two before the closures happened. The parking lot is small and really requires an SUV or something with some ground clearance to get into.

An idiot had taken a lowered Civic in there, gotten it stuck, and blocked the parking lot for both entering an exiting vehicles.

This is why things are getting locked down. You have people who aren't used to doing certain things engaging in complete idiocy ruining it for all.

That park has so much backcountry that it's nearly impossible to patrol. There is a gate at the front. The one way out in the rear is an old logging road that was paved over. There is a gate at one part of the rear on a spur road, but I don't think there is one on the main rear road going out into the community. In any event, there is an abandoned church with a parking lot a quarter to half mile beyond the exit at the bottom of the hill.

If you want to get in that park, you can with a little effort. There won't be any law back there besides maybe one TWRA ranger. Would you take a fisherman in who trespassed in this instance?

Old 04-16-2020, 08:06 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post

Only the left believes that "one size fits all". That's always the way that the left think. They aren't content to make decisions on what is best for THEM. They want to decide what is best for YOU... regardless what you may think of it or what evidence supports your decision.
Unless it comes to dictating religion and then the right is all about telling us how we should live our lives.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:08 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Unless it comes to dictating religion and then the right is all about telling us how we should live our lives.
That's an outdated perception of the right. I don't find that the modern right stresses Christianity that much, other than opposing abortion (which many atheists are against anyway).

Old 04-16-2020, 08:20 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
That's an outdated perception of the right. I don't find that the modern right stresses Christianity that much, other than opposing abortion (which many atheists are against anyway).
One of the reasons that I voted for Trump was that I thought he would not support the religious community the way most Republicans have. That was one of my biggest disappointments of this administration.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:53 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One of the reasons that I voted for Trump was that I thought he would not support the religious community the way most Republicans have. That was one of my biggest disappointments of this administration.
He gives the religious right lip service, but has he passed any laws that they wanted?

Old 04-16-2020, 10:17 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
Quote:
So is our meat supply contaminated?
{Sioux Falls, SD, mayor closes meat plant because 350 employees sick with CV19}
Sioux Falls, SD, approaches shelter-in-place 4/14/2020. City Council bypasses Governor.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KELO.com) -- A "stay at home" ordinance for the city of Sioux Falls passed its first legal hurdle Wednesday.
Update: As of 4/15, the Sioux Falls meat plant has 644 cases of CV19 and is the number one hotspot in the country. SD has no shelter-in-place requirement. Has the governor been vindicated yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics